Fixed blade vane options

Have shot 3 blazers for years out of my switchback xt but curious if theres better options in vanes or configuration as im trying to extend my distance.

There probably are fletching configurations that would give you a bit more range, but they may not be able to adequately steer your broadhead-tipped arrows. I don't know any method of determining "optimal" fletching other than trial and error based on the general rule that more fletching drag will increase steering ability but sacrifice some downrange speed. More vanes, taller vanes, longer vanes, and greater offset/helical angle all increase total fletching drag. Three lower profile vanes such as Bohning Heats or Ices fletched at the same (or lower) degree of offset/helical as your Blazers would retain speed a bit better. The effect on max range may or may not be noticeable.

Zac

WKR
This is a really good article. I use to think that a taller shorter vane was superior, however there may be something to the longer lower profile vanes. Anyway if your shooting fixed blades I don't think you can really have too much vane. My opinion is the more the better.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Blazers work fine. I've tested a whole gob of vanes over the years with fixed blade heads in 3-fletch and 4-fletch and keep coming right back to my 2" Quickspins. I haven't found anything better for the combination of steering and trajectory at long range. But Blazers work "well enough" to be in the running as well.

wayoh22

WKR
+1 for AAE Max Stealth. But I think it comes down more to tuning than anything.

Yooper

WKR
Was a diehard Blazer fan for years but switched this spring to AAE Max Stealth and won't be going back to Blazers any time soon.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I never had any issues with Blazers, but they seemed alittle louder than I wanted. I recently switched to Q2i Raptor X and Fusion 2.1 vanes. They seem to be just as good as the Blazers.

I don’t like having to go through extra steps to fletch my arrows. I use Gorilla super glue and never had any issues with either brand sticking.

A well tuned bow and arrow and I swear I can gorilla grip my bow and have a poor release and still shoot a large fixed blades well enough it won’t miss with 3 or 4 helical blazers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
A well tuned bow and arrow and I swear I can gorilla grip my bow and have a poor release and still shoot a large fixed blades well enough it won’t miss with 3 or 4 helical blazers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a great point, one that is often overlooked. People need to think of worst case scenario, not how little they can get away with.