Fixed blades for elk

gibby97

FNG
I know this is a repeat but want opinions.

Shooting a bowtech Invasion at 65 lbs with arrow weight at 450 gr so it’s fairly quick. Field tips are 125gr. Im leaning towards G5 Monec 125 gr or slick trick Vipertrick 125 gr. What do you all think? How hard are these choices to tune and will they fly fairly true out of the package? Can both be sharpened?

I know IW seems to be the choice of most but damn they are expensive. Am I missing the boat on something else?

Let’s hear it.

I’ve found that I can tune most heads to my bow if I take the time. I’ve tuned rage, kill zones, montec, and cut throats. For me it’s more about sharping and durability. Landed on cut throats for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would take a look at the QAD Exodus like previously mentioned. They are a great flying head that I’ve tuned for 7 different bows and all tuned easily.

I tried Montecs early on and couldn’t get them to shoot consistently so I got rid of them. Viper tricks I’ve never shot so I can’t say anything about them.

OP
G

gibby97

FNG
I would take a look at the QAD Exodus like previously mentioned. They are a great flying head that I’ve tuned for 7 different bows and all tuned easily.

I tried Montecs early on and couldn’t get them to shoot consistently so I got rid of them. Viper tricks I’ve never shot so I can’t say anything about them.
Which model do you like? Do you prefer the full or swept blades better? With the blades being replaceable has anyone seen issues with the blades coming apart when hitting bone, etc?

TxxAgg

WKR
I'm a fan of SlickTrick heads. My experience is on deer and pigs, but I prefer the standard SlickTricks vs the ViperTricks based on blood trails.

4ester

WKR
I’ve killed 2 elk and 1 moose with the slick trick standards. 2/3 were complete pass throughs.

They do have a pretty steep blade angle which in tough hides aren’t quite as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Keep in mind the swept blade QAD can be considered as a barbed point, so if your state says no to that, then full blade is the only answer. I don't think either fly or penetrate different enough to matter.

I like vipertricks, QAD, and Wasp Drone. Nothing wrong with Montec though.

The way to get broadheads shooting well is two fold: a tuned setup with properly spined arrow, and the broadhead must spin true. Get both of those right, and any broadhead will shoot well.

Jeremy

bohntr

WKR
After testing several for easy tuning and accuracy, I would seriously look at the Magnus Black Hornet four-blade. It is also a true cut-on-contact head that is tough as nails.

Which model do you like? Do you prefer the full or swept blades better? With the blades being replaceable has anyone seen issues with the blades coming apart when hitting bone, etc?
I’ve only ever used the full blade 100 grain model because the swept blades are illegal where I hunt.

Also, I’ve never had an issue with the replaceable blades coming apart when contacting bone. Have never contacted a shoulder blade or leg bone though, only ribs.

OFFHNTN

WKR
Since you are going to get a ton of different answers on this thread, I will throw mine out there as well.

Wac'em and Wasp Drone have flown the best for me and I have shot a bunch. They are also very sharp! Slick tricks are towards the top as well.

Vipertrick for me. Been using for about 3 years and they tune well, better than the montecs I tried. Elk I shot last year was a pass through with viper tricks, victory arrows and Matthews Creed at 65lb draw weight and 29" draw length, same arrow weight as yours. Broke a rib on the way through too. Didn't find arrow nor was there a blood trail. I shot (at)a bull in September with same setup and no blood trail then either. Considering what a previous poster said regarding blood I find that interesting, may go to the standards or back to Magnus stingers.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I shoot 100 ViperTrick and V100 Iron Will. Have yet to put a IW in an elk, ViperTricks will do the job.

I think the montecs are a formed or cast head. I haven't messed with them, but I have heard from some about them not retaining an edge well. That's not first had experience tho. I played with the nap hell razor which is very similar and found them a little harder to tune.

I do like both the swept Exodus and the wackem. Wackem tuned really easy. Swept Exodus was relatively easy too, especially considering the size of the cut. At 295+ it was difficult to get the fullblade Exodus to fly as well, however slower setups it wasn't a problem. I think they are all good options for a replaceable blade broadhead.

If money isn't an option it's hard to beat Iron Will, except maybe cut size.

ncavi8tor

WKR
I will be shooting Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts on my Elk hunt this year. They are flying beautifully out of my setup. Magnus is a great company!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Take a look at the muzzy trocars, I've had good luck with them, and can usually find them at a decent price!

MattB

WKR
Take a look at the muzzy trocars, I've had good luck with them, and can usually find them at a decent price!

I have only killed on animal (moose) with them and was unimpressed with the performance. Edge retention was garbage.

Zac

WKR
I think G5 has a new Montec that looks promising. Single piece non-vented head. I don't know if there's any reason to look further than the Exodus though. Probably the best mass produced head available.