Fixed Crawl

Beendare

WKR
I just set up a lighter bow...and was playing around with a fixed crawl.....dang is it accurate. [19" Tradtech ILF aluminum riser, Dryad long recurve limbs at 40#, 64" bow with my 12 strand string, 3 under.

I've played with the FC in the past on my heavier hunting bows but the crawl was about 7/8" below the nok set for 20 yds and I didn't like the arrow flight at other ranges outside of the tune....or even at the tune. I'm a fanatic about perfect arrow flight with a BH as I've seen the tiniest wobble make a huge difference in penetration.

This new setup is 30yds PO....with a lighter arrow [NICE!] with the crawl being only 1/4" below the nok set. This seems to make a huge difference as arrow flight is good both at the crawl and with my fingers touching nok. Confirmed by bare shafting. That short crawl is sweet!

Its scary accurate between 15-30. What an advantage to be looking just over the tip of the arrow...its like having a sight pin. Essentially every time you draw the tip of your arrow is on the animal...or spot you are looking at.

I did lose my secondary anchor of the fletch touching my nose. I'm going to have to play with this some more...but it looks like a winner. Anyone hunting with this?

I love fixed crawl for hunting. Having the arrow tip closer to what I’m aiming at has made me more consistent vertically. Plus I can get away with being a little off on range estimation as the gaps are not dramatically different for hunting ranges. My max range at a deer is around 20 yards, point on is 30 yards. My fixed point is one thumb width below my nock, haven’t measured what that comes out to. I tuned based on wanting to shoot fixed crawl and my arrow flight is good. My anchor points are index finger corner of mouth, big thumb knuckle under mandible, tip of nose on nock. I dream of getting a stalker that’s custom tillered to my style...

LostArra

WKR
Define "tip of the arrow".
Does it change with field point or broadhead?

I hunted successfully with a fixed crawl but never liked the tune of my setup (I don't have ILF bows) and found the fixed crawl to be a little noisier on occasion but that could be my release. As my eyes have aged the "tip of my arrow" started to become a little fuzzy depending on the broadhead and broadhead orientation.

So just for grins and because I liked the hard aiming system of the fixed crawl I put a single brass sight pin on one of my recurves and I've found it to work well especially in low light. No crawl. Easier tune and full horsepower from the bow. I do keep that bow in hiding in case the trad police show up unannounced.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Define "tip of the arrow".
Does it change with field point or broadhead?

I hunted successfully with a fixed crawl but never liked the tune of my setup (I don't have ILF bows) and found the fixed crawl to be a little noisier on occasion but that could be my release. As my eyes have aged the "tip of my arrow" started to become a little fuzzy depending on the broadhead and broadhead orientation.

So just for grins and because I liked the hard aiming system of the fixed crawl I put a single brass sight pin on one of my recurves and I've found it to work well especially in low light. No crawl. Easier tune and full horsepower from the bow. I do keep that bow in hiding in case the trad police show up unannounced.
Fred Bear would be proud and not make you apologize

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I started as a kid with a recurve and long bow. Shooting instinctive, was never very good. Then in shot a few years of compound bare bow. Now after 20 plus years of regular compound shooting, I starting shooting recurves two years ago.
I settled with a mixture of fixed crawl and face walking with different anchor points.
It just made sense to me. Like you said Beendare, I really like having the point on at all distances I shoot. 20 to 60 yards, I always use my point on. I don’t proclaim to be the best shot, but it works well for me and I believe I am consistently more accurate.

Tradchef

WKR
I hunted with it a couple years ago. It was solid and I had good success with it In controlled situations. I don’t use it any more but it was fun to play around with it.