Fixed power scope feedback

I recently picked up a Kimber Adirondack 7mm-08, that came with a Leupold FX-3 fixed X12 scope. I haven’t had a chance to take it to the range yet, but I’m curious for feedback from those who have experience with fixed power scopes, particularly for sheep hunting.

TxxAgg

WKR
12x is a lot. Maybe 6 or 8 is better? I've had Leupold and Meopta in 6x. The Meopta was/is the bees knees.

leoni1

FNG
IMO, 12x is seriously over magnified for a fixed power for almost all big game applications. Your field of view will be so narrow that acquiring your target in the reticle especially for closer range shots will be difficult.

How many of us have inadvertently left our variable scopes on high mag, only to waste critical time in finding our target in the crosshairs? It would be horrible to miss a chance at a sheep because of too-high mag.

Also, a 7-08 with a short barrel is probably a 400yard rifle, so 12x is overkill in that setup regardless.

I would sell the 12x and pick up a fixed 6 or 3-9x type scope and go kill a sheep. Nice rifle BTW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
All my rifles wear leupold fixed power scopes. My mountain rifle wears a fx3 6x42. The 4x33 is another favourite, especially for ounce counting.

Best of all I find they greatly improve field shooting. Get used to one sight picture, know your holds, no messing with a magnification ring when you should be shooting. Plus they are bombproof

22lr

WKR
I hunted with a 10x SWFA Super Sniper for a good while, kinda miss that scope was pretty solid! But running fixed on the higher mags is a bit of a liability if you jump something up and close and personal. For me, it was pointless as I shot whitetails with it from the standard 100-150yard range. I think the 6x to 8x is probably the sweet point for me on fixed powers. It's a game of compromise with fixed power, but the trade off is you usually get a pretty bomb proof reliable and lightweight scope.

12x is probably a good scope for a longer range gun, but not sure id want to have something stuck on 12x myself.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If I’m using a fixed power scope I prefer a 6x. That seems like a good balance to me. Speaking of which, when is SWFA going to get a some of those fixed 6x in stock?

I've got two old Leupold M8 scopes that are 8X with AO. They are very decent glass given they are about 44 years old. Bought them cheap at gunshows and they reside on a couple of accurate .22 rifles. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt sheep with them.

I would hesitate to big game hunt with a 12X scope as the field of view is small (I've shot prairie dogs at 550 yards with my brothers Leupold 12X on a 6mm Remington 40X). I think that in a sheep hunting situation like a band of 7 or 10 rams together, you might have trouble picking out the shooter with the limited field of view if they were close, or especially if they are moving. That said, I'd rather go sheep hunting with a 12X scope than not go sheep hunting!!!! It certainly could be used and work. But I like lower powered variables like 2.5-8X or 2-7X for hunting scopes. Good luck!

OP
K
Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback! I’ve always run 3-9 or 4-14 scopes, depending on my application. I’ll do some research and may consider putting a smaller fixed power scope on it. While this is going to be my primary sheep rifle, it may very well find itself in a situation for a closer shot on caribou or even moose, and I’m not a fan of being locked into such high magnification.