Fixed power spotting scopes

Hunthigh1

WKR
I’ve seen a few fixed power spotting scopes popping up on the classifieds lately. Specifically the 30x eyepiece on the Kowa 663 prominar.

I worry that it would not give me enough zoom to judge a mule deer at long distance. Anyone have experience in the field comparing both a zoom and fixed eyepiece? I have a razor 65 mm. That would be my comparison standard vs a 30x Kowa. . . I find myself not using the highest power zoom on my razor much because it is a pretty darn bad image.

I don’t search much with a spotter. In use binos to-search and spotter to field judge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ram94

WKR
Mid-Level Spotting Scope Review

This is what I found when comparing side by side. Better picture with the fixed power but wasn’t able to see small detail as well.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I have a nikon 82ed with a fixed 30 and I can count times on bulls at 2 miles on the right days.....like this morning.

I used a fixed 20x 50mm Leupold Gold Ring for a lot of years. Before that a fixed 20X Bushnell. Both are long gone.

Maybe 6 years ago I bought a used Nikon ED50 as a lightweight scope to pair with my Swaro 20-60x 65mm. It came with a 27X Wide Angled lens plus the 13-30X zoom. I kept the 13-30x even though it wasn't quite as crisp as the 27X fixed, as I like to zoom up or down, depending on conditions, for ease in locating critters, more XX to size them up, etc.

So for me, I prefer a zoom eyepiece on the spotter...they are specially nice when digiscoping. Good luck!

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Kowa 664 with 30x WA eyepiece and love it. I had the 20-60mm zoom, and while it is very good, I much prefer the 30x. The 30x is just that much better: clearer, better FOV obviously, and a little more compact. I miss the zoom occasionally when sheep hunting, but most of the time I find the 30x can give me all the mag I need. It's a simple, quality package for a great price. If you were a super inch counter, you may miss the zoom, but otherwise a 30x will be all thats necessary for muleys.

Fatcamp

WKR
I wish I could find a Leupold 20X60. Had a 25X50 and it was dim at first light.

Broomd

WKR
The fixed e/p's can be a joy to use and carry.
They're always lighter than the zooms, sometimes much lighter. They're brighter and they are far wider in FOV than only the very best wide angle zooms like Swaro's excellent 25-50wa or Kowa's Te11-wz.

For those that don't have the wide angle zoom or are counting ounces, the fixed are a stellar option.

Personally I like Swaro's 20-60 e/p, but given a choice between it and the 30x, I'll take the fixed every time.
The fixed can be a bargain too! Often far cheaper.

Terrapin

WKR
That's cool. I am not sure on value, let me look around.

c957b408b5d0356a4056d1ce9dfcd46b.jpg

Damn, I had forgotten how small and light that thing is. Pretty good optical clarity as well. It’s in remarkably good shape, considering the hundreds of miles it’s spent riding around in an old wool sock in my hunting pack (not included). I do have the sunshade as well.

A Nikon ED50 WA27X fixed eye piece is much larger in diameter and probably 2X as heavy as the 13-30X zoom. Don't know why but they are. Part of the reason its gone and the zoom stayed.

Broomd

WKR
A Nikon ED50 WA27X fixed eye piece is much larger in diameter and probably 2X as heavy as the 13-30X zoom. Don't know why but they are. Part of the reason its gone and the zoom stayed.

According to Nikon:
27x Fixed is 1.2 oz. Unreal!
Size: .9 X 1.4"

13-40 Zoom is 5.3 oz.
Size: 3.1 X 1.9"

The factual specs are far different than "probably"...

Last edited:
Broomed, obviously they have changed them from the fixed eye piece I had on my used scope purchased 6 years ago. The WA27X eye piece was probably 1-1/2" in diameter, with a whole lot of aluminum in it. The zoom not so much. If the new 27X is an ounce and a half that is great, the old one certainly was not.

Fatcamp

WKR
c957b408b5d0356a4056d1ce9dfcd46b.jpg

Damn, I had forgotten how small and light that thing is. Pretty good optical clarity as well. It’s in remarkably good shape, considering the hundreds of miles it’s spent riding around in an old wool sock in my hunting pack (not included). I do have the sunshade as well.

Very cool. This is on my list of things to do.

I had a 30x on my kowa 602 and compared it with the 20-60. I ended up selling the 30x but probably should have kept it. It’s just nicer to look through and gives a better, more detailed and contrasty image. If you’re going with a cheaper scope, I think the fixed power are a solid choice.

Broomed, Google Nikon #7464 and you will see many photos of the 27X Wide Angle eye piece that I am referencing that I owned. It is very "fat"....and was heavy (5.75 ounces per the specs I found). Sounds like it is redesigned based on the specs you are referencing today. Is the new eye piece a wide angle? And I just weighed my 13-30X zoom eyepiece and it comes in at 3.2 ounces. So in fact the WA 27X is 2.5 ounces heavier than the 13-30 zoom...about 1.8X as heavy, not the "probably 2X" as heavy as I mentioned in post #12 above. And per your specs, the 13-30X has gotten chunkier versus the actual weight of my old zoom eye piece.

Last edited:

Broomd

WKR
Broomed, obviously they have changed them from the fixed eye piece I had on my used scope purchased 6 years ago. The WA27X eye piece was probably 1-1/2" in diameter, with a whole lot of aluminum in it. The zoom not so much. If the new 27X is an ounce and a half that is great, the old one certainly was not.
+1....
I don't think the new Nikon zoom is WA. I'm going to say no.
I know the Nikon EDG which is a damn fine optic in it's own right had a very narrow FOV zoom, it is my biggest gripe with that optic. The vast variety of fixed e/p's bring the EDG line to life.

Come to think of it, I don't think any of Zeiss's diascope zoom offerings are WA either. They do make a great fixed e/p though.
The ridiculously priced Harpia has a wide angle zoom, it should for $4,500.

The fixed stuff is very popular with the birders, they've always been ahead of the curve. I scoffed early in my optics years, back then it was all about magnification for me, but I now realize that they are the best option other than a WA zoom.

tdot

WKR
I just sold my 663 with the 30x eyepiece, and I miss it already!

To be honest, its alot more money and weight to beat the optics of the fixed focal eyepiece. Less glass, less distortion, etc. Often times the higher zooms cant be used due to mirage or environmental conditions. The WA eyepiece has a very similar FOV to the lowest setting of the zoom.

I think it's a cheaper way to make good glass, great and great glass, amazing.

Extrapale

WKR
I have a Leica 62mm with fixed 26.

The view is amazing. The digiscoping is amazing. Wide angle, lots of light, and great resoluion. In addition to a very small and lightweight package.

All that said, I just bought a 65mm Leica with zoom eyepiece. Too many times I was wanting for more zoom.

Everytime involved low light and long distance. In good light I could put my phone on to zoom in and view with Phone Skope.

However in low light and distance measured in miles for both elk and deer I decided I needed more.

I have not sold the old Leica yet because it is so awesome, but I most likely will at some point.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk