FJÄLLRÄVEN vidda pro pants?

WJS23

WKR
I looking to get some feed back from guys who have actually used this pant and what their thoughts are on them.

jarredelectric

Lil-Rokslider
I have feedback on the Keb Trousers with the G100 material. It is great. I have wax to put on it when I go out and expect rain. Very rugged. Very comfortable and can handle decently low temps. I think the Vidda pro have the same type of material if i am not mistaken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really like the look of their stuff and spent $$$ on a G1000 trekking jacket. It looks really cool but I got soaked wearing it in the rain. Even after waxing it, it is only “marginal” IMO. It is now just an around town garment.

There seems to be a cult following around this company and Results may vary, but for my $$$ I am going to stick with other brands for backcountry apparel.

slowelk

WKR
These are cotton, I don't get the hype. The feel cheap, they don't look that great, and they are COTTON.

OP
WJS23

WJS23

WKR
I know that they are cotton it says it right on the web site, but hey thanks for clearing that up for me

jarredelectric

Lil-Rokslider
They aren’t designed to be waterproof. I like them better than the Kuiu chinook but not as quiet as my catalyst by first lite. They also are great around town. I’m very happy with them. I plan to use them hunting in Colorado for early rifle mule deer. The pockets on the kebs are fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought some, hiked with them and hated them. They are cotton and pretty restricting. The Keb trousers are much more comfortable. My favorite Fjallraven pants are the Nikka. The Nikka is the women’s model but they have a men’s equivalent I can’t remember the name of. They have stretchy material like the Kebs and are super comfy to move around in. I typically wear mine on road trips, shows and travel in general. Comfortable for travel but I can also use them to hunt in if my bags fall through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slowelk

WKR
I know that they are cotton it says it right on the web site, but hey thanks for clearing that up for me

This is a hunting forum, and you didn't say otherwise, so I'd assume you were interested in them for hunting, and cotton is never a good option for outdoor activity of any kind. Ask better questions, get better answers.

ErikM

FNG
I looking to get some feed back from guys who have actually used this pant and what their thoughts are on them.

I wear 54 Long version ( normally a 36x34/35). I like the fit of them. Solid pant for everyday use, I seem to be moving away from jeans. Worn them for chores outside the house, fishing, horseback riding. Wear with long underwear in colder temps. Backpacking/hiking/hunting excursions, probably not so much. They are a cotton blend but seem to dry fairly quickly. One thing I like is the numerous pockets on the front of the pant, nothing in the rear. Wore them on a trail ride in Ouray last year and had easy access to my phone snapping pics of the kiddos on horseback. The sizing is a little off being Euro sizing but I was able to try them on at a retail shop then purchase online. I’d say if you can figure out your size and get them for a discount somewhere give them a shot.

I ran a test with my Fjallraven Abisko Lites (65% polyester, 35% cotton which is lighter but the same blend as the Vidda Pro's) and compared their dry time to my Kuhl Renegades (95% Nylon, 5% Spandex) on two trips to the exact same high country lake last summer. 2.2 miles in and 2.2 miles out and sunny with 80 degrees out both days.

I waded into the lake to fish with my pants on and got them fully submerged. Caught some fish then hiked back to the truck both times.

24 minutes to get to decent dryness on the Fjallravens.
12 minutes to get to decent dryness on the Kuhl's.

My underwear/crotch area held some slight dampness after that, but I considered it negligible since I wanted to compare the pant fabric on the legs first and foremost. It was like dampness that didn't even show up on the seat of my truck by the time I got there.

All that said, I have loved running the G-1000 Karl pants (brushed silent-ish fabric) and sold my Abiskos because I found myself rocking the heavier G-1000 pant WAY more than my Lites. I wouldn't wear them in November in the Cascades, but I pretty much wore them every day I hunted in October and November in Wyoming when there wasn't precipitation in the forecast.

This is a hunting forum, and you didn't say otherwise, so I'd assume you were interested in them for hunting, and cotton is never a good option for outdoor activity of any kind. Ask better questions, get better answers.
I used to think this, as well, but I'm not so confident in that answer anymore. That G-1000 fabric is about the only fabric I've had that doesn't snag or tear on brush, and is still really water repellent. Their blends are friggin' awesome!

Yes, if cotton get's wet, and it's not warm enough outside to do a rewarming drill to dry them out or start a fire, you're screwed. But if they don't get wet, a guy will be fine.

boom

WKR
I just got my pair. Cotton is about the best burr-resistant fabric out there for me. I bought the all black pair. What a great pair of pants. Super comfy out of the package. I wore them to work three dats straight. It took getting used to not having a back pocket.
I’ll wear them as street pants and use them fir kicking up quail in tumbleweed. Patches.
sizing is a tad on the small side I think. And legs run long. Even the regulars. But I’m built like Hobbit.

Mnmike

FNG
I been using them snowshoeing, and camping for two years now and can say I really like my vidda pro’s. And they have been great grouse hunting. Never have burrs on them.

I got my first pair in Sweden , right before I took a job as a forester in Coastal Washington. They worked really well for me there year round for about five years. Now I’m in Kentucky working at a Research Forest doing a bunch of trail and forest road maintenance with saws and heavy equipment, along with a variety of wildlife conservation work. I also wear them Turkey and deer hunting on my farm. So far I’ve had two pairs for about seven years and have worn them hard. They have a few small holes and some loose threads, but I truly haven’t found more durable outdoors pants. It’s the best combination of technical and work pants I’ve ever used, and poly blend helps them dry pretty quickly. Of course, the fabric isn’t waterproof, and anyone who says that wax can waterproof fabric is lying to themselves. I still wear traditional Grundens or Goretex over them when it is actually raining. They do lack stretch, and after about a year or two, if you don’t re-apply wax, they get soft to the point where noise is non existent in a hunting context.