FL Brooks vest vs Kuiu Superdown Ultra.

mcseal2

WKR
I am looking at getting one of these vests. It will be used layering over a FL Aerowool Wilikin 1/4 zip and a Kuiu Peloton 240 hoody. I will use it over just those a lot of the time, but for long cold sits I’ll put a Kifaru LPP or Kuiu Superdown Pro jacket and a rain shell or soft shell jacket over that depending on the hunt/environment.

Any advice on fit, water resistance, and warmth between the two? I researched enough to see the FL has 3.2oz of down compared to 1.3 on the Kuiu. I am barrel chested and need a larger vest. I have a 2XL Uncompaghre vest and a 3XL Kuiu Peloton 240 vest that fit about perfect. Thanks for any help you can give.

saltfork

Lil-Rokslider
I am following along. I have decided I need a vest, and I think I've narrowed it down to these two.

i use the kuiu superdown pro in 2xl. I feel like most their gear is smaller and doesnt fit my shoulders with the exception of the vests. It has kept me warm in your exact scenario. I don't know if that helps at all.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I ordered and returned the Kuiu superdown. It was just a little tighter fit than I prefer with a base layer and the 240 on. I emailed First Lite and they said their Brooks Down should fit like the Uncompaghre vest I have. Its a 2xl and fits me a lot looser than the Kuiu Superdown 3xl. I wear a lot of Kuiu 2xl and 3xl stuff depending on how they say it should fit, “outer layer” or “athletic”. The down vest is the only 3xl kuiu item I have tried that still seems small. The peloton 240 vest and base camp vest I have from kuiu fit great.

I think I will order the First Lite and give it a try. If it still isn’t what I want I will have Nunatak make one.

Last edited: