FL Catalyst Critique

I really like the Catalyst, but in my opinion there is one thing that really limits the value of this jacket, that being the cut, more specifically, the sleeves.

The best I can tell, this jacket was cut for someone that has an amazing abnormally gurthy torso to pencil thin forearm ratio.

I’m 6’, 165 lbs, wearing a small. The jacket fits wonderfully, minus from my elbow to my wrist.
I think if I sized up, the beer gut void would be uncomfortably baggy.

I don’t have large forearms. I can comfortably layer a thin fleece under the Catalyst. Anything more than that, and be prepared to have an incredible amount of uncomfortable bunching in the sleeves.I can’t even comfortably wear a Cirrus puffy under the Catalyst. I sat in the treestand in 45 degree temperatures with the Catalyst and Cirrus. The Cirrus was so compressed under the sleeves, that my forearms became noticeably colder than the rest of my body. Cold forearms! That was a first.

Given the larger torso (comparatively), this only leaves you option of wearing a vest for insulation beyond a thin fleece. I think it severely limits the value of this jacket. I can essentially only use it for a few weeks into the season, before I’m to a point wear I can’t fit under more insulation under it to be warm. For the $230 price tag, that doesn’t add up for me personally.

An extra 2” in the sleeves, giving me the ability to adequately layer, and I could see myself wearing this as my outer layer down to the coldest temperatures. I know an extra 2” would not interfere with my bow string.

I should add that the Catalyst fabric has almost no stretch. I feel like I have great range of motion, but this is not like a pair of Pranas. I’ve even tried to expand the forearms by shoving a Nalgene bottle in there, hoping it would stretch out. It helped somewhat.

Cool, stylish, quiet, awesome hood, good pockets, I really like it. This might be the last bowhunting jacket I own, if I could fit my uncompaghre under it. It has a ton of potential, but I think the cut really knocks down the value.

I’m 5’ 11” and 160lbs and I wear a medium in all FL tops. I love the Catalyst. I bought a second one in a solid and I wear it almost every day. I do wish I could layer more under the sleeves but I’m not that troubled by it. I don’t think it’s oddly proportioned at all and I like how the medium fits. This is coming from a guy that prefers an athletic/tailored fit in anything I wear whether it’s home/office/field. I do think the price is steep though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I don’t disagree one bit, I have the same exact findings. Arms small diameter, torso much larger. It’s surprising on the stretch given the amount of spandex in it (12% I think?)

But I also think you have to look at the jacket a bit differently - it’s more of an Uber mid-layer than a jacket the way it’s cut in the arms, but you’re right, the torso is large enough to layer a puffy vest under. I think applied in place of a waffle fleece, when there’s moisture to contend with, it totally makes sense. Outside of that use case, it looses functionality to me.

I think they designed it to use over a base layer or think mid layer, and that’s about it, Puffy, etc have to go on top of it . I personally like a bit more adaptability to something over 200 bucks. But when you use it for colder active bow hunting, and you need a hood, it’s damn nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
I love mine. I'm 6' 210 lbs and wear an xl. I could've probably gone with a large but it fits great with cirrus puffy underneath. (Cirrus is a large). I don't really notice a tight forearm issue and I'm kind of a bigger built guy. It is a little loose fitting if I'm wearing just a light base layer underneath.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 5' 6" 180lbs. I wear a large in FL. I had the same issues with the sleeves. A wick base layer was about all I could fit under the sleeves, even the Klamath was bunched up under it. All the while the torso was perfect. I sold my set. The pants were nice.

92xj

WKR
Another thing about the jacket that people should be aware of...
The bottom of the pockets (which are mesh) are held together by some sort of glue tape and NOT sewn in. This is not a great thing. The first jacket I received had the bottom of one of the pockets wide open. I put my keys in and they fell to the ground. The glue seem never adhered from the factory I guess. First Lite warrantied the jacket and sent another one. The second one the glue was set 98% of the way across the bottom of the pocket. I turned the jacket inside out and put a piece of tenacious tape across the bottom of the pocket to help with holding support of whatever goes into my pocket. So far, this is holding up well, but just dumb that I had to do that. I really hope First Lite changes this and actually sews the pocket in.

mcseal2

WKR
I had the same complaint when I reviewed it here. It works well over the Ucompaghre vest but not over any puffy jacket. I think the "uber mid layer" description is accurate. It is darn quiet though I will say that for it. I started wearing mine for work quite a bit after keeping it to long to return and then failing to get it sold on Ebay. It works well as a mid-layer when working horseback in cold weather. The hood is great to keep me warm without losing peripheral vision and the jacket layers under my Filson packer jacket well. When I have to work on foot I take off the Filson and it's breathable enough I can just wear it most of the time. Probably not a use many people will have for it though!