FL catalyst vs. Kuiu kutana

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
Im looking for a durrable late season soft shell jacket that i can seat over my base and fleece for active late season and possibly add a puffy under when stationary. Im hoping some guys may have some experience with these jackets that could chime in.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
Ndstevens

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered the catalyst jacket and just had to return for size issues. I own everything first lite and have had no problems with anything. I just see mixed reviews of the wind blocking and water resistance capabilities in the catalyst. Can anyone speak on that? My first impression was that it was pretty thin as well so im just curious how it does in a late season environment over layers? Im not much of a sitter so im speaking from an active perspective.

OP
Ndstevens

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone that has owned both that could possibly comment on which would work better in cold conditions?

Nubs

FNG
I have not owned both but have been eyeing the Kutana for the same purposes as you. A couple days ago I was wearing the Catalyst over a Kiln hoody in mid 20s temp and 20+ mph wind. It did better than I thought it would and had to vent some. I think my Catalyst is an xl and will go over my uncompahgre that is a size large.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I can give you a late season answer in 7-10 days. I plan to run the catalyst on my cow moose hunt with my grandpa next week. Temperatures look to be single digits to low 30s with moderate windy, clear days followed by some snowy days. I have the uncomphagre puffy stuff for when we stop moving and start glassing. It will be a good mix of very high activity and sitting still.

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
I tried the Catalyst last year, i sold it after my last hunt of the year. I have a DCS guide that i kept only because it was a solid, so i wear it around town. Neither are very warm & neither buck the wind very well. I'll probably get laughed at for this but, the Cabellas Lookout Fleece is a superior soft shell to either. I am intrigued by the Kutana, but I think I'll stick with the Lookout for now.

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Have not used the catalyst in real cold conditions but have used in high 20s over a lightweight base layer. Awesome for active and maybe a touch warm. Have to layer up for the colder sitting which is fine. Have been very impressed with the dwr, have used in milder rains and has been great! Edit: sorry about the write up...I suck at this 😬

Last edited:
I've had both the jacket and pants for the Kuiu Guide series, but only have experience with the Catalyst pants.
IMO, both pants provide about the same level of warmth and wind-resistance as well as DWR capabilities. The suspenders setup as an option on the Catalyst is nice.
I think for stand hunting, both pants are pretty equal. I like the cargo pocket setup on the Catalyst. I think the guide pants slightly edge out the Catalyst for me as the ability to open the vents on the Guide pants is very handy for helping with temperature control, but not necessarily a feature you'd use often if you only hunt from a stand.

Just to comment on the guide jacket- the pocket setup is handy as they can also add some light venting, and there are large armpit vents as well. The DWR works very well. I actually picked up a DCS Guide jacket in a solid as I think it's a great daily softshell jacket. Sizing tends to run a little small though, as I needed an XL size just to be able to have some room for layering underneath. It fits like a true LG for me.
I actually use a Teton softshell for early season hunting as it has a good DWR coating and wind-resistance without being heavy or too warm- just there's no venting whatsoever.

hope that helps you in some way.

My180sx

FNG
I have the kutana softshell. Its the best softshell I have used to date. The cut is more roomy then any other kuiu jacket. I have the guide and axis as well. Its almost dead quiet and stalked into 20 yards of a nice 4x4 mule deer I harvested with it this year. Its very wind resistant. I have not yet felt the wind chill through it. I live and hunt in British Columbia. The material moves with you incredibly well almost as well as a regular polyester midlayer. This makes it very nice/comfortable when throwing a puffy on overtop when sitting for long glassing sessions. Also the hood is awesome. Very simular to first lite 3d turret hoods

I have the kutana softshell. Its the best softshell I have used to date. The cut is more roomy then any other kuiu jacket. I have the guide and axis as well. Its almost dead quiet and stalked into 20 yards of a nice 4x4 mule deer I harvested with it this year. Its very wind resistant. I have not yet felt the wind chill through it. I live and hunt in British Columbia. The material moves with you incredibly well almost as well as a regular polyester midlayer. This makes it very nice/comfortable when throwing a puffy on overtop when sitting for long glassing sessions. Also the hood is awesome. Very simular to first lite 3d turret hoods

Late season northern Montana elk from a heavy camp. Are you taking the Axis or the Kutana?

My180sx

FNG
Late season northern Montana elk from a heavy camp. Are you taking the Axis or the Kutana?
The axis is a superior late season jacket and half of the jacket being waterproof is almost like a double rain jacket and blocks wind better. The Axis would be my choice

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Just a heads up about the catalyst. I just got done running it for a cow moose hunt in about 6 inches of snow while Bush whacking through willows in high teens/low 20s for temperature. With a north face synthetic underlayer and a UA cold gear 1/4 zip under it I got too hot. It held up well against the willows (they were brutal, I have cuts on my face and hands from them). I was also running the catalyst pants with their brambler gaiter and I only have two complaints. First is that the brambler is very snug, as in I could not get proper fit with Corrugate Guide pants and the catalyst of the top of my boots (danner quarry 400g, terrible choice). I made it work with like 3/4 Velcro coverage but it wasn’t ideal. Second, I punched through the ice on a creek crossing and definitely got my leg wet. However I know the water came in above the gaiters (so they worked right) and that the catalyst isnt meant to be submerged.

Doing the same hunt again I wouldn’t hesitate to run the catalyst stuff. I would just reduce the layering by a lot as I got too hot. I did have a short chance to try my uncomphagre puffy when the sun went down after packing the moose out. I wasn’t drying faster than I was going numb so I threw it on and was toasty warm in no time.