FL Layer Question - Kiln or Klamath

jdvanstar

WKR
Hey guys - wanted some input on a decision I'm trying to make about my next FL piece of gear.

I've got a thinner merino base layer already (actually two thin tops) but would consider getting the Kiln as a top that I'd pretty much wear all the time and layer around. However, I also noticed the Klamath and now I'm not so sure what would be best.

What would you guys suggest and what's worked well for you?

I went with the Klamath over the Kiln because of it having higher wind resistance. It’s not wind resistant like a soft shell or rain jacket but just more resistant than the Kiln.

I don't have a Kiln, but I've had the Chama for several years which is basically the same thing. The Klamath is way warmer, a lot more durable and weighs about 4 ounces more, for reference. I don't wear the Chama anymore and I wear the Klamath all the time. Wool for a midlayer is pretty much pointless IMO.

OP
J

jdvanstar

WKR
I don't have a Kiln, but I've had the Chama for several years which is basically the same thing. The Klamath is way warmer, a lot more durable and weighs about 4 ounces more, for reference. I don't wear the Chama anymore and I wear the Klamath all the time. Wool for a midlayer is pretty much pointless IMO.
Thanks - how does the Klamath do for warmer weather?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Have both, the Klamath has become my favorite piece FL makes. Its warmer and does have a little wind protection.

I want my base layer to pass moisture to the mid layer and have my midlayer dry fast. The Klamath is going to dry faster than the kiln from sweat or rain.

Camber__

FNG
I have a Chama (former Kilm) and a Klamath as well and would agree with the above. The Klamath is heavier and warmer, but with the grid structure and synthetic material it will dry faster. I think which one you want depends on if you're going to be more static (with heavier layers on over and more time to think about how the layers feel on you) or more active generating a lot of moisture you want to move and have dry quickly.

I would not want to wear the Klamath in warm weather though...that I can say. I can wear the Chama in cool weather as an outer layer though.

Whitty

FNG
I have the Klamath hoodie and love it. Used it almost every day mulie hunting last year with temps ranging from 35-55. Great when active as my outer layer and when glassing I'd pop the hood up and put a puffy over it. Also have been wearing it this Spring turkey hunting. Sleeves and length are long. I'd say much over 60-65ish it would be too warm while active. Good treestand deer piece as well in October!

cm12

FNG
If you are looking for something that could be worn as your outer layer than I would go with the Klamath. Wind protection being the biggest difference. Also, the fact that you already have base layers would make me recommend the Klamath even more in your situation.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
He asked how the Klamath did in warmer weather....

HAHA, reading comprehension is not my thing :)

To the OP I would not wear the Kiln as a base layer in the heat with hard outputs. Unless you have a way to dry it out every night. Merino is not the way to go if you are backpacking IMO. Aerowool or a lightweight synthetic is your friend.

I
HAHA, reading comprehension is not my thing :)

To the OP I would not wear the Kiln as a base layer in the heat with hard outputs. Unless you have a way to dry it out every night. Merino is not the way to go if you are backpacking IMO. Aerowool or a lightweight synthetic is your friend.
agreed! God rec!