FL Layering/Future Buys/Questions

Hey Everyone,

New to rokslide and the hunting community, was looking for some advice on my layering system.

Currently Owned:
x2 Polyester Long Sleeve Athletic Shirts
x2 Base Layer Bottoms (1 Waffle, 1 polyester/merino wool mix)
x1 FL Kiln Hoodie
x1 Lined Polyester Vest
x1 FL UnCompadre 2.0 Puffy
x1 Kuiu Attack Pants

Looking To Get:
FL Wick Crew/Kuiu Crew Merino
FL Kiln Long Johns/Kuiu Merino Bottoms
FL Klamooth Hoodie or Quarter Zip
Rain Gear (Top/Bottom)

The help that I was looking to get was possible substitutes to what I have/other brands that will work well with what I have. If I decide to get more FL attire, should I continue getting hooded clothing so I can switch out pieces through the seasons? Or add in a quarter zip some where to break up the amount of hoods just in case I have to layer them all together for late season hunts?

I appreciate the help everyone,

Thanks again,

- WJ

What type of hunting and time of year? Looks like you have a good start. I personally prefer the FL merino base layers of the other brands as they seem more comfortable and fit better for me. However I do really like my Kuiu Peloton 118 zip off bottoms. They are a little lighter weight then merino and dry quick.

The Klamath is very versatile and will be a good add for a mid layer or as a light outer layer. One of my favorite pieces. As far as hoods there are a lot of situations that influence a hood or not. In hot Esther hunts I like a hooded wick to keep sun and insects off. In cooler weather I would prefer a hood on my mid layer - Klamath. If you have too many hoods on at one time they bunch and generally the Klamath hood, a beanie and hood from a hard shell will take me down to very cold weather.

I would recommend you do some research on your rain gear. It’s a tough balance between durability and weight. I settled in the middle with the Kuiu Chugach. I wasn’t a fan of the FL rain gear. Hope this helps a little

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
WhiskyJohns
What type of hunting and time of year? Looks like you have a good start. I personally prefer the FL merino base layers of the other brands as they seem more comfortable and fit better for me. However I do really like my Kuiu Peloton 118 zip off bottoms. They are a little lighter weight then merino and dry quick.

The Klamath is very versatile and will be a good add for a mid layer or as a light outer layer. One of my favorite pieces. As far as hoods there are a lot of situations that influence a hood or not. In hot Esther hunts I like a hooded wick to keep sun and insects off. In cooler weather I would prefer a hood on my mid layer - Klamath. If you have too many hoods on at one time they bunch and generally the Klamath hood, a beanie and hood from a hard shell will take me down to very cold weather.

I would recommend you do some research on your rain gear. It’s a tough balance between durability and weight. I settled in the middle with the Kuiu Chugach. I wasn’t a fan of the FL rain gear. Hope this helps a little

Hello there,

Thank you for your detailed response!

I started my hunting journey in South Ontario, Canada doing early/late season waterfowl and spring turkey. My good friend has just moved to Peace River in Alberta and had offered a spot for me to go and hunt during geese season, and I am hopefully attending a moose camp next year around this time in North Bay, ON. So I just want to be ready/have the pieces available to me so I can pack them all up and have options for future hunts.

The FL Kiln was my very first “investment” and I just want to be able to use it just as much as I could. I like the Klammoth design more because of the hood being able to hug your face and would work good with my UnCompadre on chilly mornings.

Would I be able to use a light base layer (crew wick) the Kiln and just the Klammoth on cold hunts, and just pack my UnCompadre in my pack as a backup if the weather gets worse/I get a bit cold for late season hunts?

I will for sure check out the Kuiu rain gear and the other base layer options in my searches and hopefully come across something that works for me!

Thanks again,

- WJ

Hello there,

Thank you for your detailed response!

I started my hunting journey in South Ontario, Canada doing early/late season waterfowl and spring turkey. My good friend has just moved to Peace River in Alberta and had offered a spot for me to go and hunt during geese season, and I am hopefully attending a moose camp next year around this time in North Bay, ON. So I just want to be ready/have the pieces available to me so I can pack them all up and have options for future hunts.

The FL Kiln was my very first “investment” and I just want to be able to use it just as much as I could. I like the Klammoth design more because of the hood being able to hug your face and would work good with my UnCompadre on chilly mornings.

Would I be able to use a light base layer (crew wick) the Kiln and just the Klammoth on cold hunts, and just pack my UnCompadre in my pack as a backup if the weather gets worse/I get a bit cold for late season hunts?

I will for sure check out the Kuiu rain gear and the other base layer options in my searches and hopefully come across something that works for me!

Thanks again,

- WJ

You are way farther north than me but I waterfowl hunt in saskatchewan every once in a while. The FL base layers will be helpful when you are working hard getting the spread out then need to be stationary for the hunt. The kiln will be a good next to skin layer as long as it isn’t very warm. I do prefer the wick as it has lighter material under the arms. I use the SS crews most of the time as my next to skin first layer because they are light and dry quick. In cold weather if I work up a sweat I will swap it out for a dry one.
The Klamath isn’t made for next to skin. For me is gets clammy. Recommend you wear it over a wick or kiln. For those cold hunts you might consider getting the furnace. When I wear the furnace. I still wear a wick or fuse/kiln under for layering.

I recommend you layer like this as temps go from warm to cold
1. Wick
2 kiln (I like the quarter zips to vent but I do a lot of hiking)

3. Klamath
If really cold add furnace between kiln and Klamath, or add your puffy and hard shell.

I think you are set with the attack pants. I love mine except in really warm weather

Reactions: DDR
OP
WhiskyJohns
You are way farther north than me but I waterfowl hunt in saskatchewan every once in a while. The FL base layers will be helpful when you are working hard getting the spread out then need to be stationary for the hunt. The kiln will be a good next to skin layer as long as it isn’t very warm. I do prefer the wick as it has lighter material under the arms. I use the SS crews most of the time as my next to skin first layer because they are light and dry quick. In cold weather if I work up a sweat I will swap it out for a dry one.
The Klamath isn’t made for next to skin. For me is gets clammy. Recommend you wear it over a wick or kiln. For those cold hunts you might consider getting the furnace. When I wear the furnace. I still wear a wick or fuse/kiln under for layering.

I recommend you layer like this as temps go from warm to cold
1. Wick
2 kiln (I like the quarter zips to vent but I do a lot of hiking)

3. Klamath
If really cold add furnace between kiln and Klamath, or add your puffy and hard shell.

I think you are set with the attack pants. I love mine except in really warm weather

Sounds good!

Again I appreciate the advice, I hope I’m able to construct a system that will last me a decent amount of time and can travel around using it in a bunch of different weather types/hunting adventures.

- WJ

Bkp

FNG
I added the Klamath 1/4 zip this year. I haven't used it yet but I was thinking the same about to many hooded shirts so I got it without. I'll be using it over a wick crew and kiln hoodie. Last year I used a similar fleece jacket and the combo worked great.

Like marine4life recommended add a puffy and hardshell and you will have everything covered.