FL Layering Tips

Anyone have recommended ways of layering various first lite garments for stationary hunting with up to mile walks for 70 degree to about 35 degrees. After 35 degrees I move into my Woodbury and Sanctuary gear with no issues. I have just about everything they make. What combinations of llano, chama, halstead, cirrus and uncompahgre, labrador and springer, and north branch are you using? Seems like mid 40s and wind give me the most problems. Should I just go llano and woodbury? Perhaps some of these pieces don't have a place in treestand hunting? Curious what combinations people have used to stay warm, avoid sweating, and remain quiet enough to bow hunt.

jm1607

WKR
I don't have a Woodbury but I have a Sanctuary which is very similar. I keep it in my pack until I get up in my tree then slip it on. I also have had it altered with a removable hood so my hood isn't always hitting the tree behind me!

A Llano underneath for sure..

The Halstead is my preferred mid-layer. Should be fine in the 40s if you're moving.. Alot of people prefer the Chama but I feel like the Halstead provides much better warmth. The Labrador is "ok", it's pretty heavy though. Once you put the Woodbury on you'll be toasty no matter what's underneath so your mid-layer will just be for hiking..

What's nice about that 3 piece combination is that they are all silent, so you can bow hunt with 0 wind no problem..

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I sold my Chama's, Labrador, and Uncompahgre because they really didn't work all that well for me. The Chama and Labrador were heavy and didn't provide much warmth for stationary stuff. I already have the Llano, so just a fleece over that is good for most walking down to 35. I don't stop and sit much for hunting so can't really help you with that part.

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
I ran my llano, Chama, and unpronounceable vest this year for my November elk hunt, oh and my stormlight jacket. When we were hiking I'd drop the vest and then re lawyer up for glassing. I stayed pretty warm until the wind picked up then I would put on the jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to ride my Polaris ranger in about 12 miles here in Utah, and it is in the 20-30's in the mountain before light, then I walk about 1 mile into my favorite ground blind where I then sit until about 9:30. After that I have to get up and walk in wind fall areas when it is around 45-55 degrees out.

So I am in freezing cold, then walking and heating up, then back to sitting for 3 hrs in the cold again, then back to walking in the hotter temps.

With all that said I use a good merino base to help wick moisture away
I layer up my top half only in the Ranger, then shed it and leave it in the Ranger, spray down to get rid of exhaust smell, and pack a puffy in my pack and hike in.
Once in I cool down (doesn't take too long at 30 degrees) then I put puffy on and tough it out. My legs are just merino base and FL Kanabs

Its a cold first couple hrs, but after the sun is up, I am walking and most of it comes off anyway
Base- merino
Mid -chama
insul- puffy vest
Outer- puffy lite weight
outer extreme- rain coat

Hope this helps

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
For your situation I typically do llano, chama and halstead and have my uncompagre in my pack. Shed throughout the day. If it's windy I'd shed the chama first. If not, probably shed the halstead first.

Being from the south I get cold pretty easy and that would work for me stand hunting down to 35 with a beanie and neck gaitor.

I have bow hunted whitetail in the east from the ground. Walk in a mile or two and set up. Move. Set up again.

I have layered with base layers, halstead and north branch for semi cold. I have added an umcomphargenuenator under the northbranch when it was colder. Alsways "under" the northbranch to keep it quiet.

The last couple of trips late season last year it was teens and 20s so I was not warm enough while sitting so I went with hauling my Woodbury in inside my pack. I would break it and the heavy face mask out as soon as I set up. I like less layers when packing in. Kept me very warm while sitting. You could move in it a short distance but you were going to sweat.

Dameon

WKR
For early season whitetail tree stand or ground blind hunting where it is 60 degrees or warmer, I wear just my Kanab pants and llano top. For 50-60 degrees, I add the llano bottoms. I keep my ASAT bowhunters jacket (think lesser quality Northbranch jacket with pit zips and a hood) in my pack for when I need it.

For mid-season whitetail tree stand or ground blind hunting where it is 50 degrees or less, I layer with my llano's top and bottom, Northbranch pants, Chama hoody, and my ASAT bowhunter's jacket. I really like the Northbranch pants since I can unzip them and vent when I get too warm. I keep my Uncompahgre puffy in my pack for when I need it, and I always put it under my bowhunter's jacket. If I am still hunting the late season, I wear this same ensemble since I tend to stay warm when moving, even if just a little at a time.

For late season whitetail tree stand or ground blind hunting, I go in with my llano's top and bottom, Kanab pants, Chama hoody or ASAT fleece (sometimes both), and either my Uncompahgre puffy jacket or puffy vest. I keep my Sanctuary bibs and jacket in my pack and put them on before I get set up, but I put my puffy back in my pack. I haven't been in the situation where I needed to layer my puffy vest or Uncompaghre jacket underneath the Sanctuary set, but I have them if I need them.

No matter the season, I have yet to find a pair of gloves I like. Once I find the one's that work best this season, I am buying several more pairs. I've tried liners gloves from FL, UA, and Browning...they all sucked and lacked anything I would remotely call durability. The FL soft-shell gloves seemed really promising, but they are too big and the small sizes only exist on paper. The mediums are still big on me even when layered on top of liner gloves. This year, I am trying OR storm sensor gloves for the mid to late season. OR size small is a bit tight on me, but I plan on breaking them in really good before this season to see if I can get that magical glove that fits tight, but not too tight, and keeps my hands warm and dry. The touch screen compatibility will be a much needed bonus. I have a DayOne hand warming muff to keep my hands warm when it is stupid cold out, but I don't like keeping my hands in my pockets all the time, so a good set of well fitting durable gloves are a must for me this year. I also have DayOne ASAT insulated creepers to keep my feet warm while in the stand. They work well, although I wish I got a size up so they were a little easier to get on and off, but then again, they are also my camp slippers and stalking boots for elk, so a good snug fit is probably best (kind of wish I had two pairs....).

For head gear, the FL merino neck gaiter and FL brimmed beanie are outstanding. Mine are ASAT due to my minor ASAT obsession (it's only a problem if I let it be a problem), but I will definitely pick up the blaze orange version for the next time I go rifle hunting (who knows when that will be?). I have a blaze orange fleece beanie and neck gaiter for rifle season, but I really do prefer the FL merino wool options. The hoods off the Sanctuary jacket, Uncompahgre puffy, my bowhunter's jacket, or my Chama hoody are more than enough to keep my head warm if it gets too cold or the weather turns (assuming I layered appropriately).

If the weather forecast calls for rain, I keep at least my Stormtight jacket in my pack. If it is late season and I am determined to hunt (usually the case), I also pack my storm tight pants. If I'm elk hunting, the Stormtight set lives in my pack since the weather can change really fast at elevation.

Anyone have recommended ways of layering various first lite garments for stationary hunting with up to mile walks for 70 degree to about 35 degrees. After 35 degrees I move into my Woodbury and Sanctuary gear with no issues. I have just about everything they make. What combinations of llano, chama, halstead, cirrus and uncompahgre, labrador and springer, and north branch are you using? Seems like mid 40s and wind give me the most problems. Should I just go llano and woodbury? Perhaps some of these pieces don't have a place in treestand hunting? Curious what combinations people have used to stay warm, avoid sweating, and remain quiet enough to bow hunt.
for long walks wear the bare minium and pack in the rest i am fine in the 40s with kanaband allgeny with llano chama halstead top

hope this helps

elkyinzer

WKR
For truly walking, like walking fast-pace to get somewhere, as opposed to still hunting, I have to be cold for the first five minutes or so else I am getting a heat on and getting sweaty. Example, I typically wear only a short sleeve llano for a hike in, even with temps all the way down into the low 30's. All my other layers I add on when I get where I am going. Nothing is worse than getting a chill that won't go away because you got sweaty. Better to suffer through 5 cold minutes than be cold all morning. That's just me and I have a high thermostat though.