FL Obsidian - Exploding Crotch Issues?

Did first lite solve the exploding crotch issues they had with the kanab for the Obsidian. I have a pair of obsidians that I really like. However, two of my three Kanabs had/have crotchel issues So i am hesitant to order another pair.

in fairness, first lite took care of me on one pair of kanabs that had a full on Dong exposing blow out. I haven’t sent them the second pair yet as they are still serviceable But the seam has popped And I need to see if I can get it sewn.

Did first lite solve the exploding crotch issues they had with the kanab for the Obsidian. I have a pair of obsidians that I really like. However, two of my three Kanabs had/have crotchel issues So i am hesitant to order another pair.

in fairness, first lite took care of me on one pair of kanabs that had a full on Dong exposing blow out. I haven’t sent them the second pair yet as they are still serviceable But the seam has popped And I need to see if I can get it sewn.
I got the new Foundry Obsidians knowing the old ones weren't gonna cut the mustard. So far so good! Will update if that changes.

Idk about the new foundry.
But imo the regular obsidians are a joke. If I wear them 3 days I have to take them in for repairs.
Firstlite could give a flying F
I have probably doubled the cost with the repairs and they were so expensive I had a hard time trashing them.
That and the wierd ass waist sizing they took way to long to fix has me where I most likely will not buy any more Firstlite gear.

ndayton

WKR

No guarantee this will happen for you but I had some Kanab 2.0 blow out the crotch. I called Firstlite asking if they did repairs which they don't but they did say to send them in and they warrantied the pants by sending me a new pair of Obsidians so it may be worth giving them a call.
As far as the crotch issue I ran the Obsidians for a season with out any issues there but did have holes from sticks catching the lower pant legs. I sold them and currently use the Corrugate Guide pants as they seem more durable for my type of hunting.

My obsidians have the corrugate/nylon material in the crotch which helps some. They are not the Kanabs but the model before the obsidians foundry.

fishslap

WKR
I blew the crotch out of my kanabs in extreme fashion while cleaning a cow elk in 25 deg temps. They sent me a pair of obsidians and no issues in a few years of use. All first lite gear should come with sewing lessons, and maybe some shims to get the fit right.

Hot Trash! I really like the pants, but I am sick of the crotch wearing out. I have sent each pair (I own 3) in to get replaced and they have worn out again. I wouldn't spend another dime on a new pair. I think they are great pants, its just that they wear out so quickly. You would think that if you pay that for a pair of pants they would last. Not the case. I am just really bummed out with the quality. If the redesign things and they have better quality, then I would consider buying again. Until then, I will just stick to my wranglers and flannels! ;)

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
For those blowing out the crotch, what are your body types? Do your thighs rub while walking?

OP
Desk Jockey
For those blowing out the crotch, what are your body types? Do your thighs rub while walking?
I have some powerful manly thighs and delicious, round butt. I am married though, so will have to pass.

seriously, I think it is a pretty well documented design flaw. My two pair have both blow in the exact same spot - right below the fly where the two front wool panels intersect with the stretch fabric. I think it has less to do with the build of the wearer than that seem getting ripped when you do something that requires your legs to spread a bit like climb up in a truck bed or over a log or something.

to the point of some earlier posters, these weren’t cheap pants to begin with. When the crotch goes boom on the regular and you have to pay $20-30 to get them sewn, it doesn’t fix the problem, it only keeps the wind out until the next time. Zero chance I would wear these on a serious back country adventure unless I wanted a serious ventilation option for my junk. In fairness, FL swapped my last pair for a new pair of obsidians so I would say the customer service on the issue has been exceptional but the whole thing is still kind of a pain in the ass.

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
I have some powerful manly thighs and delicious, round butt. I am married though, so will have to pass.

seriously, I think it is a pretty well documented design flaw. My two pair have both blow in the exact same spot - right below the fly where the two front wool panels intersect with the stretch fabric. I think it has less to do with the build of the wearer than that seem getting ripped when you do something that requires your legs to spread a bit like climb up in a truck bed or over a log or something.

to the point of some earlier posters, these weren’t cheap pants to begin with. When the crotch goes boom on the regular and you have to pay $20-30 to get them sewn, it doesn’t fix the problem, it only keeps the wind out until the next time. Zero chance I would wear these on a serious back country adventure unless I wanted a serious ventilation option for my junk. In fairness, FL swapped my last pair for a new pair of obsidians so I would say the customer service on the issue has been exceptional but the whole thing is still kind of a pain in the ass.
I’ve been running my obsidian pair for a while and haven’t had an issue. Is it the stitching or fabric blowing out?

I’ve been running my obsidian pair for a while and haven’t had an issue. Is it the stitching or fabric blowing out?
Maybe it just my massive balls.
But the fabric rite behind the nylon part just wore thru. I had a local seamstress reinforce it.
I'm certain these pants have less then 20 days use.
20210515_141217.jpg20210515_141225.jpg20210515_141245.jpg

I basically can't trust them on any long term hunt ether.
I just keep them around because they were expensive. And there quite i mite throw them on for a stalk or something from the truck where I feel I may need to be extra stealthy.

OP
Desk Jockey
To be clear, it is my kanabs, not obsidians. These two pair it is stitching giving out. First pair was a combo of stiches and fabric tear.

OP
Desk Jockey
The crotch seam popped enough on my last pair of kanabs that a full on Dong exposure was next in line. I contacted FL and they are going to give me store credit for them. while the exploding crotch thing is an issue I would rather not deal with, it was early days for FL and they were sorting out their designs. They stand by their product and made it right. One more reason I am a fan.

bobinmi

WKR
My tan obsidians blew out quickly but I'll be honest and say that it was quite a stretch on my part that popped the seam. I've got an ASAT set that have held up nicely. However, I'd never wear them on a western hunt where I'm only gonna have the pants that I wear in. I'm hunting whitetails 90% of the time and they are the quietest pants that I've ever worn which is why I've still got them. I think that first lite did a terrible job of explaining the durability issues of merino wool pants to the general public and I've seen more than one person busting brush or climbing through blow downs with them and I just don't think that they are intended for that type of abuse.

LJ Buck

WKR
I have beat the crap out of the obsidians and had very few issues. Remember these are merino wool pants. They won’t be as durable as a synthetic but you also loose all the benefits of merino.
Comfortable as all get out!!!

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
No, their Kanabs were just garbage as far as durability. I've seen skinny dudes blow those things apart. Most fragile designed hunting pants on the market. They've gotten better, but still nowhere near as durable as Sitka/Kuiu etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk