FL Obsidian Review - This one's for the dudes...

TheCougar

WKR
Background: I've used the Kanab 1.0s for the previous 5 years and I've worn the 2.0s briefly. 6'0'', 190lbs, 32 waist and 32 inseam. I have both Large Kanabs and large Obsidians. I just finished a successful elk trip where I wore these pants for 9 days straight and on day 6 I soaked them in a bucket of soapy water for 3 minutes and them dried them in the sun for an hour before heading back out to hunt.

Sizing: compared to the Kanabs, the inseam is maybe 1-1.5 inches longer. The thighs and seat are cut a little fuller, which is nice because I have thunder-thighs and the Kanabs were borderline too snug in the thigh and seat. The waist however... The Obsidian waist is much larger than the Kanabs. My wife had to hem the waist by about 4 inches to get it down to a 32. In FL's defense, the pants match the website measurements, but DAMN. Seriously, FL - there are people in the world who need large pants and don't have a size 38 waist. It would be nice if we could get away from the S-M-L and get into an inseam and waist measurement system.

Material and design: There is some stretchy stuff to them in the crotch, parts of the legs, and the butt. Also, the material itself has a bit of a softer feel compared to the Kanabs.

Performance: I found the material very quiet and no more/less noisy compared to the Kanabs. I also noticed that the fabric didn't pick up any burrs or other debris, which is awesome. The old kanabs were like a magnet for that kind of stuff. They seem very durable, although I did put a small rip in the pocket them I was brush busting. They are more comfortable and flexible that the old material and I think it is a marked improvement. Like I said before - I wore these for 9 days straight with only a quick bucket wash on day 6. They performed as well as the old material in fighting off stank. After 6 days however, there just isn't anything on the planet that can absorb that much sweat and dirt and not begin to funk. A bucket wash knocked the stink back down to day 3 or 4 levels.

Hits: I really liked the stretch and movement of the Obsidians compared to the Kanabs. I also liked the fact that I wasn't covered in burrs on the legs.

Misses: I think the sizing that FL uses is outdated and for $150 pants, I expect a little more of a tailored approach to sizing. Just like my Kanabs, I still think the pant leg diameter on the bottom is too small - it tends to ride up on my boot top and let crap into my boots and it makes it very difficult to roll up the pant leg into shorts unless you have emaciated calves. More of a boot-cut would be better. Also, this might just be me, but now that I have a better pack with a large lumbar pad, the rear suspender clip falls right onto the lumbar pad and pushes it into my back. I really like the suspenders, but I can't use them anymore unless FL comes up with a way to attach the rear suspenders in a way that doesn't interfere with a lumbar pad.

twall13

WKR
Thanks for the review. I have to agree, the S-M-L sizing needs to be updated to inseam and waist sizes. It took me several tries with first lite pants to narrow down that I'm a Medium Tall in their Guide pants. Not a fun process to figure out on such expensive pants but if you can get the sizing right they make great clothing.

BCBowtech

Lil-Rokslider
Been rocking my Obsidians for a couple hunting trips now.. Love em.. Super light, comfy and mobility is fantastic... I dont use the suspenders so I dont have the issue with the lumbar pad digging that into me... I have quite large legs as well so the fit there is perfect, but havent had any issues with them riding up and letting stuff in my boots.. They do soak up the water pretty quick but they also dry just about as quickly.. Ive run them thru some pretty thick bush here in BC and havent had any rips yet,(fingers crossed) it stays that way..

After Total Archery Challenge, an over night scouting trip and a week of elk hunting. First Lite said its normal field abuse and wouldn't warranty it... Hello Sitka... LOL

But the plus is they fit great for big thighs, awesome in the heat and cold.
7b62b7048f06acd4531f109a98c47bca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk