FL or Southeast Elk Hunters - logistics

For you Florida/Southeastern hunters - how often do you go out west for elk hunts? I'm starting to build a long-term strategy and curious what most folks do.

Frequency:
Every year - worst case OTC? Every other year? Only when you draw?

Travel:
I know this has been discussed in varying capacities, but particularly from as far as Florida - do you find it more prudent to drive or fly? I do have family and can borrow a rig from West Tx and can fly in and drive from there if need be if I'm hunting in NM/CO.

I drove from Louisiana to Colorado - twice in September. I wasn’t satisfied with my gameplan the first week. didn’t plan on going back but it got the best of me and I headed back. Much better the second trip and would have had a few cow opportunities, but all I had was a bull tag.

I’ll go every year until I can’t shoot a compound anymore. This year I’m doing Idaho and Colorado. The drive is long, but I like being able to take more than I need and extra gear in my own truck And not have to worry about flights and limiting gear.

Bl704

WKR
I've done trip annually the past 4 or 5 years from NC. Either drawn or otc, except 1 year. I've flown and drove.

Flying I take a less stuff, but you can fill a bow/gun case (remove some foam) with clothes or other soft stuff. Others in a backpack (carry on) or cooler. If you have success, you can read up on threads about meat shipping options... But I always considered renting and driving home. Since I plan my return on Sat its either a flight or 2 day drive... I'm a frequent traveler (except during pandemics so I usually have air, car, hotel points for free or discounted travel), which simplifies some travel options. If I fly, I'm having to make a stop anyway for fuel for my Jetboil, maybe some drinks or an otc tag if I didn't draw.

I prefer the driving option. Which I did this year and 2 years ago. Even if it's interstate, we live in a beautiful country. I can haul extra layers, gear and an extra cooler, which gives me other food, gear and camping options (base and spike). It does kill more time driving. If needed, I can stop when and where I want.

IMHO, if you have a week or less time - fly. More, drive.

Last edited:

Jacack

WKR
I have driven from southwest fl too many times to count. Nm. Wy Idaho and did utah last year. Its a long haul but I hunt 10days min and can bring whatever I feel like and don't need to worry about getting meat and antlers home.

I go solo but imagine it would be nice to have someone to split seat time with .

Drove to Montana this year from Tennessee. It wasn't bad. In fact, based on my experience this year, I'd probably default to driving in the future. It was really nice having our own rig. We left at 5 am on Friday and we were glassing elk by Sunday afternoon. That said, I wouldn't have wanted to do that drive solo.

Do some research but I think you can just about draw a tag every year. It might require you to buy the special license in Wyoming or spend one year antelope hunting instead of elk hunting but, personally, I'd rather chase antelope every third year or so instead of dealing with what Colorado's OTC situation is becoming.

Southeast Texas Here (North of Houston) I've been going to Idaho for the last 6 years, flew the 1st two times only because my buddy lived there, have driven all other times, like others have said the drive can be tuff, but I would much rather drive than fly.

FLAK

WKR
Mobile Bay here.
I used to fly, but I've found I just cant realistically get enough gear on the plane to be even remotely comfortable for a decent hunt. As I've gotten older, being miserable just isnt as fun anymore.
So the drive pretty much limits me (self imposed) to NM.

I am cheap. I also like to travel heavy - extra clothes, extra rifle, extra food, never too many beers, and I'm cheap, so flying is really not in the cards for me. Flights, rentals, and meat shipping would double my cost.

The drive is tough but so is elk hunting. Sleeping in the truck sucks, but you're so tired that it makes that first night in camp go really easy.

The best part of driving is the victory parade on the way home. Folks honking, waving, nearly wrecking when they see the antlers, and conversation at every fuel stop. Makes the smile that much bigger.

CBreeze

FNG
Moved to Sav Ga from Alaska in 2013 and have driven “to Yellowstone” we’ll call it, 1 or 2 times a year or every since. I’ve flown a couple times for trips from AK to the lower 48 and from Sav to a couple airports “out west” and always find the air travel and its limitations and logistics way more inconvenient than the drive.

OP
WestTexasBestTexas
I have driven from southwest fl too many times to count. Nm. Wy Idaho and did utah last year. Its a long haul but I hunt 10days min and can bring whatever I feel like and don't need to worry about getting meat and antlers home.

I go solo but imagine it would be nice to have someone to split seat time with .

That's the worry - figuring how to get an animal home. Agreed on the wanting to split seat time - I am new to Florida and not many people that I am acquainted with hunt. I could always pick up a TX friend on the way but that a lot of lonely highway and would want to split time with someone else from FL.

OP
WestTexasBestTexas
Moved to Sav Ga from Alaska in 2013 and have driven “to Yellowstone” we’ll call it, 1 or 2 times a year or every since. I’ve flown a couple times for trips from AK to the lower 48 and from Sav to a couple airports “out west” and always find the air travel and its limitations and logistics way more inconvenient than the drive.
The more research I'm doing re: flying indeed seems to complicate things logistically - based on the feedback it's looking more and more like the long haul is my best bet.

bascott1

WKR
Come from northeast Alabama. Been driving to Colorado the past 5 years. Use to do it straight, but after splitting it up we prefer that now. That 29 hrs of seat time gets old. Now we split it up and get a hotel and hunt 10 days and drive 4 round trip. A lot better that way.

Eastern NC here-I/we go every year. We always drive so we can carry whatever we want within reason. . I drove and hunted solo in SW MT in 2019-the drive out was great but the return trip sucked. I don't think I'll be doing that again. We are applying and building points in several states so we can mix some limited entry quality hunts in with OTC hunts.

I’m planning a drive out to CO from LA next year, hopefully 1st rifle in 43. Plan for now is driving out in one stretch (18 hrs drive time or so) and splitting it up on the way back.