FL Sawbucks vs Kuiu Katana stretch

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I need a pair of spring turkey pants that can hold up to ridge running through briers, brush and all the dampness that spring brings through multiple states.

Currently wear first lite kanabs and gaiters, the wool is great for taking the chill off the cold mornings and for it's weight not bad on the hot days. It doesn't repel any moisture and certainly don't shield from thorn much. The gaiters helps with both those for below the knee but can get real hot to wear all day.

Ive been looking at both the option in the title as a lighter, cooler, quicker drying pant that can hold up durability wise on their own a bit better to the timber in the north east.

Wondering if anyone has experiences with both?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

OP
T

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I'll likely end up with the sawbucks because I prefer their pattern (turkey is the only game animal I even worry about pattern). The size works better as well without alterations being able to get a 30x30 and not have to hem. The cons seem to be that the DWR is a bit exaggerated and doesn't shed water very well.

The kuiu I don't love any of their patterns for east coast spring and I'd have to hack about 5in off the bottom to be usable. I like the lighter weight and hip vents are always such a plus I don't know how they aren't on every pair of hunting pants across all brands.

Moserkr

WKR
Kutana are tough, stay cool, are quiet, light weight, breath well, and dry fast. No experience with the other brand. Very happy with the kutana coming from the attacks during the early season. Late season they get cold easily but layers fix that. Kutana have a moderate stretch feel to them but pretty comfy.

OP
T

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
Kutana are tough, stay cool, are quiet, light weight, breath well, and dry fast. No experience with the other brand. Very happy with the kutana coming from the attacks during the early season. Late season they get cold easily but layers fix that. Kutana have a moderate stretch feel to them but pretty comfy.
Thanks,

I don't need chap level protection, just a rugged pant that can handle some moisture and breath well enough for the warm days.

I need to email kuiu and see what the inseam is on the 30 waist. I'm worried that the knee articulation and everything will fall weird if it's too long regardless of hemming.

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks,

I don't need chap level protection, just a rugged pant that can handle some moisture and breath well enough for the warm days.

I need to email kuiu and see what the inseam is on the 30 waist. I'm worried that the knee articulation and everything will fall weird if it's too long regardless of hemming.

FYI I ordered some attack pants the other day and they now offer short, regular, long inseam options, lengths are in their size guide. Might be useful for you.

OP
T

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
FYI I ordered some attack pants the other day and they now offer short, regular, long inseam options, lengths are in their size guide. Might be useful for you.
I saw that but doesn't seem to be an option on the kutana

Moserkr

WKR
Not hard to get them tailored. I had my old pants hemmed and the waist tightened by an inch for $20... just hemmed is like $6 at your local dry cleaner or tailor. The kuiu’s come with a 34” length i believe for tall people. Im a 30” so its a bunch to cut and not a big deal to have done. Now if it were rain gear, then thats another story.

Moserkr

WKR
Kutana are not near chap level protection, but are well above average for toughness. I ruined the ankles of my attack pants in 3 seasons, and they were too warm for archery anyway. Kutana is a nice compromise of strength and weight, and very comfortable in warm weather. They dry so fast rain gear could be a mute point early season high country. Attack pants take an hour to dry in the sun, kutana takes 15 min.

OP
T

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
They must have seen my internet activity between them and first lite as I got a promo code in an email today.

Ordered the kutana stretch pants and kutana hybrid jacket

Kotaman

WKR
These two pants are complete opposites in the fit department. The Kutanas fit like “skinny jeans”, and the Sawtooths have huge thighs. Neither really fit me.

OP
T

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
These two pants are complete opposites in the fit department. The Kutanas fit like “skinny jeans”, and the Sawtooths have huge thighs. Neither really fit me.
Well skinny jeans isn't going to fit my quads, but I have a pair on the way to try.

Kotaman

WKR
I ordered Kutanas in the size I order everything thing in (38) from Sitka, First Lite, EB, Kryptek, REI etc, and even Attacks. I honestly could not even get one leg into the Kutanas. Maybe it was a bad size

ChrisAU

WKR
I ordered Kutanas in the size I order everything thing in (38) from Sitka, First Lite, EB, Kryptek, REI etc, and even Attacks. I honestly could not even get one leg into the Kutanas. Maybe it was a bad size

Yeah that is odd, mine are 38's as well and are dang near baggy. both pairs I own. I wear 36's in First Lite and they are tighter in the legs.

Hondo

WKR
You might try using a DWR treatment on your Sawbucks to improve their performance. Where I generally hunt Turkeys there is always morning dew on all the heavy brush to contend with and I find a spray-on DWR like Nikwak TX.Direct does a good job of helping shed moisture.

I like the Kutana Stretch pants for other uses but I find the Sawbuck pants hard to beat for my particular situation. The higher cut waist, 4 way stretch, and roomier thighs of the Sawbucks make sitting on the ground while coaxing toms more comfortable for me.

My kutanas are just a hair tighter in the thighs than my attacks. Pretty “athletic” fit but not to the point of being restrictive.

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
I'll likely end up with the sawbucks because I prefer their pattern (turkey is the only game animal I even worry about pattern). The size works better as well without alterations being able to get a 30x30 and not have to hem. The cons seem to be that the DWR is a bit exaggerated and doesn't shed water very well.

The kuiu I don't love any of their patterns for east coast spring and I'd have to hack about 5in off the bottom to be usable. I like the lighter weight and hip vents are always such a plus I don't know how they aren't on every pair of hunting pants across all brands.

FWIW the Valo pattern is darker than it looks on the website. I ground hunt east coast hardwoods for turkey every spring, it's a great match for the oak/maple leaf litter I'm usually sitting in.

I have a mixed bag of FL Cipher and Kuiu Valo pieces for that land and pattern-wise I don't think there's much of a difference to the birds.

Moserkr

WKR
How do the Kutana's stretch and move compared to the Attacks?
Kutana’s do not stretch near as well as the attacks. Kutanas have 2-way stretch fabric, attack is 4 way. You trade stretch for durability, and a lighter, more breathable fabric. The kutanas took a bit to break in for more stretch but never inhibited my movements still hunting. The fabric has a rougher feel since it has no brushed liner like the attacks do. I wish they felt as comfy as the attacks but to me the many other pros outweigh the few cons. Ive never felt hot in my kutanas, whereas the attacks would get miserable sometimes. Just my experiences, results may differ lol.

I ruined the ankles of my attacks in 3 seasons though - all torn up. I dont have chicken legs and the kutanas are not skinny jeans on me. Im 5’10, 185, and just a few extra lbs.

The attacks have their place too though. For mid to late season i would happily wear them, even if i tore up the ankles again. I stitched mine up and will continue using both pants. Comfort wise in cooler weather, attacks win hands down.