FL Uncompahgre 2.0

mcollin2

FNG
Apologies if this has been asked previously, I am new to the site and finding my way around.
Anyone receive the new First Lite Uncompahgre 2.0 yet? I am in Minnesota and hunt whitetails primarily, but am hoping to head to Montana for my first time this fall. I like the idea of the packability of the 2.0, I am just wondering if it would also be useful in a tree stand scenario. Mostly wondering how loud it is for bow hunting and warmth for Minnesota late fall. I would like to get a jacket to use in both bow hunting and out west. Also looking at the Solitude jacket for the same uses but probably looking at purchasing one or the other, not both. Thanks for any help!

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
I wear it (the 1.0) down to zero in MN with a Sitka Jetstream over the top when windy.

It's also my go to jacket for ice fishing and general use in winter. You won't regret it's versatility. I own 2 and the vest. If it was a really late winter (like last year) I would probably wear it for turkeys too. It may seem more noisy at first but after break in, I haven't really noticed it being any louder than other gear.

When it get's colder than that I go to a sanctuary.

OP
M

mcollin2

FNG
I wear it (the 1.0) down to zero in MN with a Sitka Jetstream over the top when windy.

It's also my go to jacket for ice fishing and general use in winter. You won't regret it's versatility. I own 2 and the vest. If it was a really late winter (like last year) I would probably wear it for turkeys too. It may seem more noisy at first but after break in, I haven't really noticed it being any louder than other gear.

When it get's colder than that I go to a sanctuary.

Thanks! Been thinking about doing the 2.0 and the catalyst and see how they pair up. I have never owned anything more than cheap mixed and matched camo, which has worked and gotten me this far. Just looking to put together a system now.

OP
M

mcollin2

FNG
Man thats crazy how people have different temp ratings. I have owned three 1.0's and would not want to be stationary in temps below 42 degrees. I love the jacket, but its not warm.
That's why I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I've seen a lot of reviews about how warm it is, but then I've seen a fair share like yours as well. It has a lot of good qualities, I just want to get the most bang for my buck.

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 1.0, it's a sweet jacket, I have sat in a treestand for a few hours with it in the mid 30s with wind and have stayed comfortable, that is with a fuse and klamath underneath

The 1.0 Is very warm, I have no complaints with it in the warmth department. It does fit a little large and I think it’s loud. To the point I would not and have not bowhunted In it but have some friends that’s do successfully. I believe the 2.0 will be great

I’m in MN too. I’ve had a 1.0 for the last 5 years. Good out west puffy but I wouldn’t get one if it’s main duty will be in a tree stand. Not that warm for static use and it isn’t quiet either. There’s a reason they have a whitetail line.

Call First Lite and they will give you a realistic review of their gear. The solitude is the catalyst with the insulation of the uncompaghre and that is suitable from about 30 and above with it reaching into the 20s if layering up heavy underneath. The sanctuary has double the insulation and their piece for 20s and lower in a treestand.

99 percent of hunters would not be comfortable with the 1.0 or 2.0 at zero degrees if you are sitting still.

I have the catalyst and uncompaghre and the vest and match that all up with a kiln and Klamath and it was alright into the mid/high 20s but below that I wished I had sanctuary with me.

I guess you better know yourself. If you are part of the one percent that wears a hoody and shorts in 20 degrees and feels warm then I guess you could wear anything at zero degrees and be warm lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

mcollin2

FNG
I’m in MN too. I’ve had a 1.0 for the last 5 years. Good out west puffy but I wouldn’t get one if it’s main duty will be in a tree stand. Not that warm for static use and it isn’t quiet either. There’s a reason they have a whitetail line.
I am heading to Montana this fall which is why I had originally looked into the 2.0.

OP
M

mcollin2

FNG
Call First Lite and they will give you a realistic review of their gear. The solitude is the catalyst with the insulation of the uncompaghre and that is suitable from about 30 and above with it reaching into the 20s if layering up heavy underneath. The sanctuary has double the insulation and their piece for 20s and lower in a treestand.

99 percent of hunters would not be comfortable with the 1.0 or 2.0 at zero degrees if you are sitting still.

I have the catalyst and uncompaghre and the vest and match that all up with a kiln and Klamath and it was alright into the mid/high 20s but below that I wished I had sanctuary with me.

I guess you better know yourself. If you are part of the one percent that wears a hoody and shorts in 20 degrees and feels warm then I guess you could wear anything at zero degrees and be warm lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's great info. Thanks a lot! Probably going to go the catalyst/ solitude route.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
I am heading to Montana this fall which is why I had originally looked into the 2.0.

It depends on if you are talking archery or firearm in MN. I haven't seen a Sept/Oct here in recent memory where the 1.0 would not be enough to keep you warm. I used mine from archery through rifle season, and switched to a heavier parka style for post rifle, if stationary.

Regarding noise. The 1.0 when I got it definitely had that 'swishing' noise you associate with a puffy jacket. Since I have worn it in, the noise is definitely down significantly. I've worn my 1.0 with catalyst over it, and that will bring the noise down a lot, because the arms aren't rubbing the body portion.

The 2.0 seems to be made entirely from the quieter fabric portion of the 1.0, which would drop the noise considerably. Also, if its a slimmer fit through the waist, that will prevent the arms from rubbing as well.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
Man I just really hope the 2.0 is a little warmer.

What do you feel is the minimum temp you will go with it? I've run it down to single digits (below zero windchills) and not had problems. Seems to be dependent on if you run cold or hot and how well you tolerate the cold.

What else are you wearing with it?

What do you feel is the minimum temp you will go with it? I've run it down to single digits (below zero windchills) and not had problems. Seems to be dependent on if you run cold or hot and how well you tolerate the cold.

What else are you wearing with it?

I personally would not run it below 38 - 40F using a light base layer and a synthetic midlayer. I am average for body temp. and have a deer camp in Michigans Upper Peninsula and I know what hunting in the cold is.

Put it this way, I had the 1.0 on an august high country mule deer hunt and I got to my morning glassing tit: had a aerowool base layer and a kiln mid layer under my 1.0. It was cloudy and temps were around 40 degrees with a 10 - 15 mph wind. After sitting for an hour I started to get chilled. After 2 hours I decided to get up and move around as I was starting to get cold. I wouldn't say I was shivering, but I was starting to get uncomfortable.

in my humble opinion you need at least 5oz (which is equal to 141 grams) to run any jacket (down or synthetic) below 40 degrees if you are stationary for any length of time. Both the 1.0 and 2.0 have 100grams of synthetic insulation in the body and I believe 80grams in the sleeves.

Again, this jacket is awesome, but 100grams of insulation is still 100grams. The best due it all jacket will have 130 - 150 grams of insulation. I want to love this jacket, but like I said above, even in august I experienced pushing it to its limits.

Just for reference I went from 1.0 last year to getting the Stone Glacier Grumman down jacket. 5.3oz = 150 grams. This is warm but even this jacket, will get chilled below 27 - 30 degree being stationary. Again,I am keeping all things equal light base layer and mid layer. You could both jackets into lower temps by wearing a vest or a thicker base layer.

Hows the sizing on the 2.0? I know they changed the cut but just curious if people are sizing up or down or true to size?

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
Sizing is spot on. I wear a medium in most everything for shirts and jackets. My 2.0 in medium fits great.

Man thats crazy how people have different temp ratings. I have owned three 1.0's and would not want to be stationary in temps below 42 degrees. I love the jacket, but its not warm.
I think it's definitely important to later with it. But with right underlayers I love it at 0-30. Granted that would be with some movement not stationary.

I own a 1.0 uncomphagre, a catalyst and a solitude.

The uncom is a nice puffy. I wear it under the catalyst and solitude for white tail but rarely as an outer layer. It isn’t especially noisy for a nylon garment but it isn’t quiet like some other outer layers.

The catalyst is a nice, lightly and I mean lightly insulated soft shell. I wear mine for whitetail. It is quiet enough but not ninja quiet.

The solitude is a neat jacket. Fairly warm. Quiet. It is fine to about 40 or night 30s with a light layer. I took mine to 20 this year with some layers underneath and a bib. It is heavy though and wouldn’t be my first choice for a backpack trip. Not sure what mine weighs but I bet it is 5#.