FL Uncompahgre vs Sawtooth

SteveTX

Lil-Rokslider
I’m debating between these 2 jackets for an early season high country hunt. My understanding on the Uncompahgre is that it’s great for situations where I can be still, but not moving thru an area where it’s prone to rips, tears, etc. And the opposite for the Sawtooth and that it’s a bit more durable.

My question is if the Sawtooth is enough jacket for those times when I’m glassing in the cooler temps. If so, I think I’d go with that one to gain the durability factor.

Anyone have experience with these that can shed some light for me? Or if you have other suggestions I’m all ears.

Thanks for your time.

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
Warmth is very subjective but IMO the sawtooth isn’t nearly warm enough to be the only I have. I would leave it at home or take a soft shell to layer over.

rghent

FNG
I own both and find the Sawtooth to be a great outer layer over a light base layer like the Wick or Kiln hoodie. If temps drop I opt to wear the Uncompahgre in its place and find it keep me far warmer. I run warm when I’m hiking so the Uncompahgre is a little too much, but the sawtooth isn’t quite warm enough to keep me warm when I’m still so I usually pack the Uncompahgre no matter what and a mid layer like the Sawtooth or Klamath if I think I’ll need one when I’m actively moving in colder temps. Hope this helps.

I own both and don’t use the sawtooth in the woods. It doesn’t have a place in my layering system like I thought it would. I use it as a daily jacket in the fall and winter

OP
S

SteveTX

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback guys. It helps.

I am a fan of vests, so maybe a that with the puffy as the outer layer?

That’s what I’ve done for my whitetail past. Maybe just tweak that setup towards the backpack/ultralight setup.

I’m debating between these 2 jackets for an early season high country hunt. My understanding on the Uncompahgre is that it’s great for situations where I can be still, but not moving thru an area where it’s prone to rips, tears, etc. And the opposite for the Sawtooth and that it’s a bit more durable.

My question is if the Sawtooth is enough jacket for those times when I’m glassing in the cooler temps. If so, I think I’d go with that one to gain the durability factor.

Anyone have experience with these that can shed some light for me? Or if you have other suggestions I’m all ears.

Thanks for your time.

The jackets are very different.

Uncompahgre = insulated outer shell layer, low intensity mobility, colder temps. For an early high season hunt (supposing US Rockies in September), would not bring a U jacket because it's too much jacket. If you've never climbed mountain elevations, wearing a U jacket will be like wearing your winter ski parka during a Crossfit WOD.

Sawtooth = mobility, breathing, sweat, can be worn under a shell.

If you've never seen/handled, a Sawtooth is a single-layer, merino wool-hooded sweater with a front zipper and sewn-in insulation panels that cover your front torso and shoulders. See photo of Sawtooth turned inside out. You can see through the fabric when held to a light.
IMG_7563.jpg

Your idea to combine a Sawtooth jacket and Uncompahgre vest would work if sitting for long periods.

Hope this helps!

I wear the uncle padre Jacket with an uncle padre vest in the late season. That combo has pretty much gave me the ability to retire the Woodbury jacket and save some weight, with added pack ability. I also have the sawtooth and prefer it down to around 30• with a cirrus jacket for insulation underneath. The hood on the sawtooth is what I really love about it. It’s the only hooded piece I own that I can zip up over my nose and still be able to move my head around.

Poser

WKR
I own both and don’t use the sawtooth in the woods. It doesn’t have a place in my layering system like I thought it would. I use it as a daily jacket in the fall and winter

Same here. It’s just too heavy for backcountry hunting in relation to what it actually does. It’s great for casual wear though.

Superdoo

WKR
What about using the Unpronouncable in the late season? Does it stop wind well? How does it do when the temps are in the tens?

tdhanses

WKR
In the early season I wear the sawtooth from early morning to the evening while hiking, it has some warmth but breathes well, I usually take it off around 10am. For me it is used far more then my puffy while hunting and I consider it a mid layer so not a puffy Layer which is really only needed at night around camp.