Flat land prairie boots?

ptwysocki

FNG
I started off the season with a pair of Irish Setter vaprtreks. Wanted a waterproof lightweight hiker at first. Boot is insanely comfortable, however leaked like a siv and is already started to tear at and come undone. Hoping this isn't indicative of their wingshooter series. Then, with deer hunting coming up, I purchased a pair of Crispi Guides that I got an amazing deal on. Truly a great boot...and for that style of hunting (traversing, hiking, etc) I'll never need to look for another boot. Issue is, for 70% of the bird hunting I do, they are WAY too stiff (even after being broken in). Fact is most of the upland hunting I do is on flat, brushy, can be wet at times type of field work.

So, anyone who has come into this dilemma before have a recommendation? I've ruled out Danner. I'm thinking a full leather 8-10" boot with a wedge sole is what would work best here? Like the wingshooters, but they just seem heavy to me. If I didn't have a forum to seek advice on, I'd likely just pull the trigger on the Thorogood Flyway upland series boot or a Thorogood wedge sole boot...and hope for the best. Then again, for that price, you also have the Orvis Kangaroo boot/LLBean Upland/Filson Upland boot.

Russells look great too -- but at 500-600 a pair, that might be a little rich for my blood. Unless they are truly buy once cry once style boot, then I'm open to trying them out.

Thanks guys.

Michael54

WKR
Meindle makes an ultralight hunter that is an awesome boot. I got 2 years out of them before they leaked and i still wear them when its dry out.

Mosby

WKR
I use the Irish Setter 894 wing shooter boots for most of my pheasant hunting. I like them enough that I bought a second pair when Midway had them on sale recently. Reasonably priced.

When weather is really cold or wet I switch to a pair of Muck upland lace boots. I am not sure they make them anymore but they are a really nice warm, waterproof boot.

OP
P

ptwysocki

FNG
It's hard to deny the wingshooters popularity. But honestly, after the fact that my vaprtreks broke down literally within 30 miles on them...it makes me hesitant. Plus they seem a tad heavy. Basically looking for a lighter and more durable version of the wingshooter 894 series...

Mosby

WKR
It's hard to deny the wingshooters popularity. But honestly, after the fact that my vaprtreks broke down literally within 30 miles on them...it makes me hesitant. Plus they seem a tad heavy. Basically looking for a lighter and more durable version of the wingshooter 894 series...
I understand. I had the soles come off a pair of Irish Setter boots before, so I get it. But for the price they are hard to beat and one of the reasons I got a second pair was in case the first pair broke...lol. But they are comfortable, I can walk all day and I don't get blisters. I got a young GSP and will be going out every few weeks for training so we'll see if they hold up. If I can get a few seasons out of them, I'll be happy.

I haven't tried Thorogoods but if the Irish Setters don't hold up, that is probably what I will go to next.

Unless you go with a custom boot from Russell it is getting harder to find a good upland boot that can hold up. I have a pair of Russell snake boots that I got over 30 years ago and I still wear them turkey hunting but they are expensive upfront. Leather is much thicker so you might want to check the weight but its one reason they last longer. I used to run into a lot of rattle snakes where I hunted and they were worth every penny.

Superdoo

WKR
Vapretreks suck! My local store refused to sell them to me (I have too many boots).
Go with the Havoks and you’ll be happy as long as you keep them oiled. BTW if you buy from a Red Wing store they will clean and oil your boots once a month for the life of the boot. They’ll also replace laces for free.
I hate the moccasin toe because it can trap water on dewy mornings, but if you keep up on the maintenance they won’t let you down.

Squincher

WKR
Irish Setter Havoc 801's have lasted me 3 seasons of hard hunting in Kansas and Iowa. Very little wear so far and still waterproof. They're a little more expensive than the Wingshooters, but they also seem to be a better boot.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I bounced back and forth between light hunting boots that were comfortable that wouldn't last or more durable boots that were heavy and uncomfortable when putting on the miles. Right now I'm on my 2nd season of wearing my Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX's for everything (summer hiking, upland hunting, deer hunting, and turkey hunting). They have more tread and grip than needed for upland, and the rubber toe cap can seem to drag a little walking crp grass, but they are light, comfortable, and seem to be holding up alright. They are comfortable on those long days chasing grouse or pheasants. I plan on getting another pair this spring so I'm ready when they give out, but I expect to be able to finish this hunting season without problem from them.

chukar_chaser

Lil-Rokslider
These Gokey Boots would fit the bill.

Attachments

• F83EF91E-8077-4DF0-BF8E-83BB27ED2C1C.jpeg
    F83EF91E-8077-4DF0-BF8E-83BB27ED2C1C.jpeg
    788.3 KB · Views: 17

DJB

FNG
I use the Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX's or Danner Grouse (USA made) when its warm out. When it gets below 10 F I switch over to a pair of Danner Canadian boots. The Danner Canadian are made in the USA, and are all leather construction with 600 gr of thinsulate.

OP
P

ptwysocki

FNG
I have a pair of salomon quests that I always use when training the pup in the summer at our local dog club. Great boot. My only issue with it is the height. I find that unless im running 8"+, I end up with a ton of debris itching/scratching the whole hunt. Granted I run my pants a little shorter (hate the baggy draggy pants when doing long hikes), but unfortunately a lot of otherwise great boot options get x'ed out due to shorter height.

The Gokey comment was interesting I completely forgot about them. A little expensive but I don't mind if they'll last a while.

Anyone have experience with the infamous "kangaroo leather"? LLBean/Orvis style boots all seem to push this design. Might be worth those but with a toe cap attached.

All of this is to say I need a pair of standard work boots, so I'm sure I'll buy the Thorogoods Flyway...and also pick up a pair of Schnees Timberlines to replace the Crispis...and keep them as a mountian/deer/elk boot.

appreciate the help everyone.