Flat lander ordering a western turret

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
If a guy were to do 99.99% of his shooting at 1700ish feet altitude. But will be doing the .01% of the shooting that matters at 8-9000’ altitude. How would you guys order your turret??

For the 8-9000’??

For the 1700’ish?? And try to figure holds

For the 8-9000’ and call in sick an extra day of work to get out in the hunting area and verify turret accuracy??

Just curious what some thoughts are....

JNDEER

WKR
Don’t know about 8-9k. But I usually hunt at 5k ish and had a hunt basically at sea level. Ordered a turret at 3k as it still had me “close enough” at 400-600 yards. Beyond that it gets much more off. I used the vortex calibrator to play around with elevation, temp, etc to see what things looked like.

I'd recommend using a ballistics app and dial for when hunting outside your normal elevations.

If you are going to do the custom turret, then do two. One will be for your current hunting areas. The second will be for higher elevation. Look at doing something like 7K or 7.5K. There's about a 4K foot buffer (2K lower and 2K higher). You will need to validate everything at elevation as well as reset your zero. Remember: garbage in, garbage out. Ensure that your numbers are confirmed before doing the turret.

JMDavies

WKR
Don't over think the turret. In my opinion, the altitude is the least of your issues. Be confident in your shooting and practice long range often and give them hell. You'll never make the shot you don't take...

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Go somewhere in the middle and zero your rifle at your furthest effective range when you get to where your shooting. (Make 700 yard mark dead on at 700 yards) the variables don't matter as much once you get closer in. It won't be perfect but you won't miss an animal from it.

Forest

WKR
What kind of distance are you thinking?? Have to get out there quite a ways before there is a huge difference. Straight moa turret is still the safest bet tho.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I ordered one for my 300 win mag at 7500ft for my hunts in CO , that's the ave elevation we hunt and one at 2500ft for home and anyplace up to about 5000 ft.

WCB

WKR
If you insist on getting "custom" turrets...get 2. One for at home and one for where you hunt. if your between 8 and 9000 get one for 8500. Just make sure the data you give the company cutting the turret is 100% correct. Don't go off factory ammo specs.

IMO, just build a dope chart. get out and shoot your rifle and write down the drop data. Then print out a sheet for your hunting area and just dial of your dope.

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
If you really don't want to look at a drop chart, just use some athletic tape on your turret. Its easy to make sharpie marks on the correct points and label them with range on the tape. If you change loads or elevation, just rip off the tape and make a new one

archp625

WKR
If you really don't want to look at a drop chart, just use some athletic tape on your turret. Its easy to make sharpie marks on the correct points and label them with range on the tape. If you change loads or elevation, just rip off the tape and make a new one
I would do exactly what he is saying. If you were to buy a turret you will need to buy multiples, which get expensive. Then if you switch a reload or ammo they are not right anymore.

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
Even if you use the correct elevation for your custom turret, it’s only good for one DENSITY ALTITUDE, which might change by a couple thousand feet in the course of a day, AND it’s only good for one bullet at one speed - meaning one ambient temperature...

In other words, don’t waste your time or money on custom turrets. Stick with angular units and correct for environmentals as they chance throughout your day/week/season.

OP
R

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you

Think I’m just gonna stick with drop chart on the rifle stock...
Thanks for the replies!

jmike

FNG
You need to check out Kenton Industries. If you by their turret, they now have a app that you can enter new factors.......i,e, like altitude , temp and the app will give you adjusted yardages for there known distances on the turret....Just ordered mine.

smith406

FNG
You need to check out Kenton Industries. If you by their turret, they now have a app that you can enter new factors.......i,e, like altitude , temp and the app will give you adjusted yardages for there known distances on the turret....Just ordered mine.

So a standard Mil/MOA turret with extra steps?