Flat lands to Alaska POI change....

I know there is going to be a difference of POI for my rifle when I get to Alaska for a sheep hunt.

Just wondering what some of y'all actually saw once you got to alaska??
I live in SE Oklahoma. Elevation of about 500ft with temps near 100* and humidity off the chart about the time I'd be leaving for Alaska. Guessing elevation of about 5-6000ft with temps 30-60 and little humidity where the sheep live.

Would also like to know what you did ahead of time for preparation for this?? ie... dope sheets, etc.
(this is for those of us that don't have all the high end electronics that do all of this for you)

gbflyer

WKR
I’d say verify your zero when you get there and go hunting. Your guide shouldn’t put you in a shooting situation that would call for extreme precision marksmanship at distance that will have much of an effect on what you already know for drops.

I would say the same.

Run your numbers at your estimated altitude and humidity. If the zero is good, the math won't lie.

For what it's worth, I think I've shot all my sheep between 3500-5000' elevation. Seeing them higher than that happens, but is relatively rare. I run my drop charts for 4500' and 50F and call it good. I've also shot them all close enough that it didn't matter!

You are much more likely to need to compensate for slope angle than altitude.

jhm2023

WKR
I use 3,500ft for my drop data for sheep, so coming from 500ft is a negligible difference (.7 inch difference in drop at 400 yards w/ my 7 mag). The issue you could run into is your muzzle velocity difference from where you are to up here based on temperature. If your powder is fairly temp sensitive that could affect your zero. In my experience temps are typically 20s-50s while chasing sheep in August. You'll probably have a fair change in point of impact with a temp sensitive powder and a 50-80 degree difference in temp from your zero in Ok. Like mentioned above, sheep can be had close enough that drop data isn't needed. Just get a good zero confirmation/adjustment when you get up here.

OP
Silvereagle50
right now, My Kimber Montana is shooting Hornady PH 162gr ELD-X factory ammo pretty well. wouldn't think it would be too temp sensitive. I don't figure my shots will be too long on this hunt (<300yds), but want to be ready for something a little longer if necessary.

keller

WKR
Went from wi 1000' elevation. to ak last year was sighted in at 200 yds with 300 mag.shot the same in Ak at 200. Killed a sheep at 100yds at 3500 ' elevation.

OP
Silvereagle50
Ran a ballistic chart for my load with the different aspects. Looks like not much difference
Put in 500ft for here and 5500ft for up there (probably a little high).
Only like 0.2MOA difference out to 500yds. Guess I was expecting something more crazy.

Rule of thumb is 1 MOA per 5000 ft higher, but air temperature usually drops at elevation and can help cancel that increase out.

Well I guess my main question is how much the zero was off.
no way of telling - snipers "figure" at least an inch ANY direction for approx. every 4000' of elevation CHANGE - I've been hunting with a guy who shoots a Jarrett.300 handloads, we would go from about that 500' area to well over 4000' and he never worried about it, never muffed a shot (that I know of) - I, on the other hand, have always checked my zero when there and have found varying differences but always some - Just check it when you get to the "area" and then hunt but don't just do one shot, do 3 or 4 to make sure

OP
Silvereagle50
no way of telling - snipers "figure" at least an inch ANY direction for approx. every 4000' of elevation CHANGE - I've been hunting with a guy who shoots a Jarrett.300 handloads, we would go from about that 500' area to well over 4000' and he never worried about it, never muffed a shot (that I know of) - I, on the other hand, have always checked my zero when there and have found varying differences but always some - Just check it when you get to the "area" and then hunt but don't just do one shot, do 3 or 4 to make sure

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Silvereagle50
First thing I tried was factory Hornady PH. Shoots about 1/2”.
Figured I’d stay with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
There is no adjustable POI change in zero from sea level to Everest, if you zero at 100 (even 200) yards when using temp stable powders. Hornady PH is fine.

Jimss

WKR
I've traveled from the Front Range in Colo (4,400') to Anchorage (sea level) many time and hardly seen a difference in shot placement. It's a great idea to shoot again once close to your location so you make sure nothing got bumped traveling!