Flat Top Mountains Elk

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
You should have no problem getting the 1st rifle tag, that's my go to tag every year. I will be hunting a different unit however.

Deadfall

WKR
True on the adjustment. The flatops are pretty high in elevation. Some adjust quickly, some not so much. It's not all about fitness either. The OP might want to read the recent altitude thread.
Aspirin. 2 every morning. For first couple days. Day hoke from truck for 2 days. Then go back packing.

njdoxie

WKR
Read this twice..... i hunted unit 25 in 2015 & it literally nearly killed me. Trailhead at 9k, topped out at nearly 13. Didn't see a hint of an elk when we got up there & we're honestly to exhausted to relocate after 4 days. Came home to TN far wiser than I left.
Well tell us the gory details, love hearing hardship stories.

robtattoo

WKR
Well tell us the gory details, love hearing hardship stories.

Faces of Misery: A Pictorial Journey...
FB_IMG_1537111073864.jpg
IMG_20140831_115447_852.jpg
IMG_20140831_075003_583.jpg
This was a stupid.......
IMG95201408259512235495409.jpg
This part destroyed my soul......
IMG_20140831_123550_181.jpg
Camp. The very first morning a 5 foot branch went right through the side of my (green) tipi.
IMG_20140831_154518_626.jpg
The blowdowns were a laugh-riot!
IMG_20140901_110852_598.jpg
Although we did become attached to this one we named 'The Sodomy Log' it was our home for the week & you couldn't sit anywhere on it without it being a little......'in' you. Finest quote I've ever heard was at that spot. Shane, native of Jacksonville, Florida; "Man.... is so nice to sit next to a camp fire that doesn't have a f@#king tire in it!'
IMG_20140903_103941_496.jpg
Aaaaaand 50yds after I took this, his right knee exploded. I carried his pack most of the way out (I guessed around 130lb total, including mine) Josh jogged all the way down to his truck, dumped his gear then came back up for Shane's gear. He spent a day in hospital getting strapped up & filled with drugs, so I had to drive 24hrs straight thru to get shane back to civilization. Between my house & his, the front end of his truck gave way & ended up getting written off. OH! That's after having to literally rebuild the cooling system at the side of the road coming over Monarch Crest (who knew a Florida 7.3 powerstroke would overheat literally every mile above 10k?!)
IMG_20140904_110537_184.jpg

The main lesson I learned? Don't hunt out west with Shane. Guy's a f@#$ing jinx! 😂😂😂

robtattoo

WKR
And through all that. Every mistake. Every miserable turn of the weather (80° to 20° & back in a day anyone? ) All the stupid, stupid overpacking. Being horrifically out of shape. Every single point of utter, exhausting, breathless, palpitating, unrelenting misery.
I have literally never had so much fun.
I was off by a year, this was 2014, but I've done something similar every single year since & you'll be throwing dirt on my face before you get me to quit!

WOW- Sounds like one of those trips where if it could go wrong, it did go wrong and then some.

When it's all said and done though you can't buy memories like that!

Gapmaster

WKR
Hunted the Tops years ago, went in with probably “unrealistic” goals/ideas of the elk hunting. We packed in 5 miles. Were unprepared for the blowdowns from the old fires, maybe a little too cocky and definitely not ready for the pressure.

One of the worst “hunts” I’ve ever been on, but it was the “Best” trip I’ve ever made. Go for the experience. Go for the scenery, the memories, the friendship. Do your scouting and planning, but be realistic and enjoy yourself. Remember to stop and take it all in...your in God’s Country doing something that many can’t or won’t.

Good luck!!

OP
CBKY97

CBKY97

FNG
Hunted the Tops years ago, went in with probably “unrealistic” goals/ideas of the elk hunting. We packed in 5 miles. Were unprepared for the blowdowns from the old fires, maybe a little too cocky and definitely not ready for the pressure.

One of the worst “hunts” I’ve ever been on, but it was the “Best” trip I’ve ever made. Go for the experience. Go for the scenery, the memories, the friendship. Do your scouting and planning, but be realistic and enjoy yourself. Remember to stop and take it all in...your in God’s Country doing something that many can’t or won’t.

Good luck!!

Very true! A downed elk is just the cherry on top. Thank you!