Flat Tops Colorado

nrhardin

FNG
Was out yesterday doing some scouting in the area. Main thing to know is that it is incredibly DRY out there already. Use that how you wish for scouting and planning for water if you’re backpacking. Also mind any fire regs in place. Weather looks really hot and dry through at least next week so not going to change any time soon.

OP
hunting1

hunting1

WKR
Thanks all, I was in the mountains over the weekend sorry for the late response. I am sure it is dry since NM is brown. Hopefully we get some rain.

Maybe a zoo, but it is the zoo I drew this year. I'll hunt hard and make the most of it.

It’s a cool area. I spent a week there last summer camping/hiking. There have been a few fires so it would be good to see what growth is there. I’ve never hunted there but I found some good areas just getting back in. You could tell the areas would be busy down low based on the camp areas along the road. It is a huge area and you can come in from the north or south. I would grab some maps and look at access points and north / south facing slopes. Lots of hikers/horses way back but we were still able to find some quiet places even mid summer. If I was going to hunt there I’d be scouting with an eye to where they would go when they get pressure (which is a good idea in any unit!) anyhow, even being new to that wilderness , it was fairly easy to get a few for things. Best part was meeting a rancher / retired guide on the trail and getting some good insight. Note to self, if you ever meet a single rider on the trail and he (or she) looks like they might know what they are doing, strike up a conversation and shoot the xxxx. You never know what someone will tell you about the area!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

md126

WKR
I assume if you drew a tag you’re asking about Unit 24.
Lots of non hunter traffic up there, hikers, bikers, campers, etc... screwed me up a few times but other than that no different than other areas in CO

OP
hunting1

hunting1

WKR
I assume if you drew a tag you’re asking about Unit 24.
Lots of non hunter traffic up there, hikers, bikers, campers, etc... screwed me up a few times but other than that no different than other areas in CO
Yeah, kind of expecting as much but this is true for almost everywhere these days. I understand or I like being out too so I will try and find the nasty stuff. Thanks, now if we can just get the monsoon going in CO and NM.

Gerbdog

WKR
Yeah, kind of expecting as much but this is true for almost everywhere these days. I understand or I like being out too so I will try and find the nasty stuff. Thanks, now if we can just get the monsoon going in CO and NM.
No kidding, Dry Dry Dry and already nothing but smoke to breathe from fires