Flathead Valley Bow Tuning?

Strider

Lil-Rokslider
I have recently picked up bow hunting seriously and have not liked the service or the finished product of any place I have taken my bow to in the valley. I have been considering jumping into tuning myself but im curious if there is anyone in the valley who is the same boat or is there anybody in the valley who know what they are doing and would be willing to help me out? Also any suggestions about jumping into tuning or where to take my bow would be appreciated. Thanks.

Straight Six Archery in missoula is a good shop with good service. I tune my own bows but buy stuff there and have them do cam changes and stuff like that where their press is better suited for the job. I live in Clinton if you are ever down this way

jmez

WKR
If you have the interest then you are better off getting the tools you need to do it yourself. Tuning bows ins't difficult, they are pretty simple mechanical devices. All the instruction you need is available on YouTube and websites like this one.

Even if you have a shop close by it is a hassle to run in there every time a string/cable stretches or any time you want to change something. If you want to tune with BH's most shops don't allow you to shoot them.

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Irregardless of having tuning to your liking or not. I recommend you begin to set up a small work area for addressing needs on your bow and arrow building.

Couple things ?

Press
Drawboard
Bow vice
Paper tune rack

Start there. Not sure how old you are and how your eyes are, but serving skills are good to have in a pinch. You can have someone show you, then YouTube some of the people instruction videos. Learn also string building because the serving skills translate over.

Takes time so don’t rush or be impatient but rather be engaged with the craft.

Good luck, it’s a ton of fun too !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat in the same valley. my current bow is a Hoyt carbon Spyder turbo. I had Kevin at spirit quest (closed now) install new hog wire strings for me and his tuning was admittedly a "bench" tune as he called it. basicly just getting the bow to factory specs. from there I followed a thread by ontarget7 on archery talk, he's on here some as well, but he had a detailed tuning thread on that bow. Kevin was kind enough to throw my bow in the press and twist this and that for me till I got it perfect. took 10 or so stops at the shop on my way home to get it done.
no offense to the kind folks at Flaming Arrow, but I don't think your going to get a quality tune there, and now that Sportmans is selling Mathews prime and Hoyt hopefully they will get some capable staff on board, but I haven't needed any kind of tuning since they ramped up their archery department.
long story short, get your own press, vise, and draw board and start learning. knowing how everything works and how to make the adjustments is really satisfying and quite enjoyable. I built my own draw board on my basement wall and started out with a synum press. I think my next investment in my bow shop will be a bow-a-consstrictor press.

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re watching YouTube instruction videos on tuning, especially a Hoyt, look for John Dudley of NockedOn. Dude is amazing in explaining things in simple form but doing high end tuning and shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk