Flatlander from Texas with cell reception question

Sprunk

FNG
good morning folks. As the title cells i am from Texas and never hunted in CO before. I see the importance of an In Reach type device for the SOS features and tracking features. My question is an i know its not the same throughout the state but how bad is the cell reception really in the woods of Colorado? I have both AT&T and Verizon and am looking at Northern CO for chasing some elk for the first time this fall. Thanks in advance
My dad and brother are both on Verizon and my dad has a flip phone and has better signal up on the mountain than in the yard in ND. My brother has a smartphone and had terrible signal. They hunt around Steamboat.

Big Bore

FNG
Investing in an InReach, literally changed my whole experience when I go elk hunting each year. The simple task of sending a text to my wife and getting the response 'all good', did wonders for easing my mind as a husband and dad of two daughters.

bsween8

FNG
Started hunting in Colorado solo last year and invested in a Zoleo since there was minimal cell reception where I was hunting. It worked great every time and I would highly recommend it. I have not tried an InReach but would imagine it is comparable. I also believe they are slightly more expensive than Zoleo.

As a responsible adult, dad, husband, etc. assume no cell signal & get the Inreach. It works great & you can touch base & give peace of mind to your loved ones at any time.
It's even more important if you're gonna be hunting alone. Accidents can happen anytime & anywhere & it's a small price to pay to be able to get help.

Btaylor

WKR
Started hunting in Colorado solo last year and invested in a Zoleo since there was minimal cell reception where I was hunting. It worked great every time and I would highly recommend it. I have not tried an InReach but would imagine it is comparable. I also believe they are slightly more expensive than Zoleo.
Same here. Zoleo worked great.

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
Buddy and I were in Northern CO last year. In the mountains we had no cell reception so we used his Inreach to update the wives. Moved to a different area later and there was a small area of our camp where I could make a call. I'd count on no service and plan accordingly.

sneaky

"DADDY"
What about the In-Reaches do they really improve your ability to be able to communicate via text by that much?
Yes, InReach and Zoleo fill in the gaps that exist in cell coverage. Peace of mind at the least

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

gabenzeke

WKR
I have Verizon. I've been in units where I could find spots with reception, and some where it's just not gonna happen.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

TA2510

FNG
Man, you just never know where you can get cell reception. I get it in some of the weirdest places when hunting N Colo.

There are times we drive several miles just to get a text/call out
Totally agree, i started renting a satellite phone after my first year elk hunting.

I hunt 67 and there are patches of area where I can get service with T-Mobile. My work phone is Verizon and there is absolutely no coverage in most of the spots that I hunt. I would plan on no coverage at all.

We bought Bivy Stick Satellite Communicators last year. They recently dropped the price to $200 (we paid $350 last year). Great way to send texts back home and communicate during your hunt with other guys in your group. They were very reliable (albeit slower than cell service SMS) and I think it was $50 unlimited for a month of service. Most people don't need unlimited and could easily get by with the 60 message plan for $30 for their hunt.