Flatlanders workout

I'll admit I'm a FLATLANDER !! I hate running so I hit the treadmill at 15 degree for a few miles walking at 3.0 mph. Every year I'm not in the shape I want to be In when we head out west. When we leave I feel good about where I am but the altitude puts me back in my place. What do you other flatlanders do to prepare for your hunts? I hate running for excercise. I was always an athlete in sports but I didnt notice when I was competing. This year I hope I get where I need to be

Marble

WKR
Soemthing that increases the heart rate and works the legs. I like to vary between the elliptical and running or walking at incline.

For weights I do one day of light squats, lunges, leg curles and extensions. Not heavy stuff.

For upper I do all the regular weight stuff, but add in some extra shrugs and dead lifts. I rarely do anything heavy, just high reps.

I like to think if the stuff that gets sore then try to replicate the movement.

Clarence

WKR
Check out the workout program on Exo mtn gear site. Very little running on that plan and works the right stuff.

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Being in Kansas I am with you. i also hate the treadmill. Mtn tough has a couple free workouts that are really good. 22’s and heavy pack workout Are the two i use the most. For the 8 weeks prior to the hunt i try to do each of them once a week.
My wife gets embarrassed of me but i will throw 60-70 lbs in the pack and mow the lawn, then take the dog for a walk around the neighborhood, anything to get the muscles stronger. I also like using the box step ups in the basement with the heavy pack on. Throw a hunting video on the tv for motivation.
that is in addition to lifting three times a week.

wseidel

WKR
Living in northern Minnesota, we have steep hills for hiking but we are still only 1100 feet above sea level. Since hunting out west in the mountains can be brutal (altitude and steep slopes), I put a fair amount of effort into preparing. Now in my mid-60's, my workout regime is to alternate biking days (12-15 miles of fairly aggressive biking) with hiking days where I hike 6-7 miles on the Superior Hiking Trail. For the hikes, I wear my MR pack with 25 pounds inside, Kenai chest holster, use my trekking poles...and even occasionally carry my rifle in my Kifaru Gun Bearer (with a Solo Hunter cover for a bit of discretion :) ). Like the biking, I push my pace so I get a good workout. I will often stop and do push-ups. Similarly, when I finish biking, I will do push-ups in sets of 20-25....and keep going until I can't do any more (with a few minutes of rest in between the sets). The past few years I have found myself doing more of the hiking workout than biking because it allows me to take our golden retriever along as she loves it...and never seems to get tired like I do! I often listen to podcasts while hiking - Randy Newberg/Meateater - for both enjoyment and the chance to pick up additional tips. Living in the country also provides daily workout efforts be it gardening, mowing our lawn with a push mower, putting up wood and/or working on projects. The other part of the equation for me is to eat well. I usually make a daily ultra-healthy smoothie to help keep me on track - though my weak spot is dark chocolate! Hope this helps...

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Running is bad for me. Hurts my knees, and sore knees suck when you're going up and down hills. I focus on leg strength. Lots of squats, and lots of single leg work (RDLs, step ups, lunges, etc...). For cardio, I do low-impact stuff. Assault bike, row machine, incline treadmill, stair climber....

Don't neglect core and upper body strength either.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Put on a pack and hike parking garage ramps. If you take them at an angle you almost give yourself a side hilling workout zig zagging back and forth. For the city folk anyways

CMF

WKR
I'm a half mile from the Gulf of Mexico, I mix in some biking, hiking w/weight, running, weights now and then, but leading up to my hunt this past Sep. Me and the wife spent the most time doing steps with our packs at the local light house. 2.5 stories up and down for 30 minutes to an hour, usually 30-45 round trips, up to 60. we'd vary pack weight from 25-65 pounds.
I started out biking more than running because of my knee, but since getting in shape my knee rarely bothers me and i'm running more than biking lately

I live on the NJ shore with an elevation of two feet so it doesn’t get much greater difference in elevation coming from here to 8400 feet plus in Colorado. Last September was mine and my sons first trip to hunt elk.

I am 53 and had a widow maker heart attack at 43 just 7 months after winning the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Pan Ams. My work out routine was to do backpack cardio of 2-4 miles 3-4 days a week before work at a county park with the highest hills on the coast with a 40-75 pound pack. I would also do a 1/2 hour of yoga followed by a half hour kettlebell work out 3-4 days a week.

This worked pretty well for me I had to take frequent breaks when my heart rate got real high. I wear a fit bit and my peak heart rates on the steepest climbs (1000 vertical feet in less than 1/3 of a mile) were between 188-196 bpm. That is crazy high and when I got there I would rest about 15 minutes and have some water and once my heart rate was down to about 140 I would go again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backyard

WKR
Minnesotan here. If you value your knees, run sparingly. Forget the elliptical, its about as un-natural a movement as you can get.
Diet , core, stairs, bike (cardio), TRX, and pack work is what has done it for me.

I’m the same way. I’d rather play a soccer game until my heart stops before I run a mile or two. It just bores me to death.

Are you able to find any pickup games in your sport of choice that keep you active? Do you like swimming? Trail running is something I’ve considered but haven’t tried yet.

I do run a lot especially on hills because it’s the best way for me to simulate the out of breath experience of the mountains.

But, unlike the OP, I really enjoy running.

And...I think the sports medicine community has debunked the ‘running is bad for your knees’ theory. That’s another debate though.

In addition to running, I’m all for step-ups on the water valve box with heavy weight- either my pack with sandbags in it or carrying sandbags on my shoulder.

I’ll do 50-100 step ups and mix in squats, cleans, and lunges to work the legs.

This is the type of box I use:

I have found that doing box step ups with 50 lbs on your back are a great workout. I always have done 2 min of step ups all one leg then 30 sec break and then same for other leg. I then do that back and forth for 30 minutes or so. Great way to break in boots also.

Find yourself a high school football field and walk the bleachers with a weighted pack a few times a week. Throw some ankle weights on when doing the treadmill.

MN Hunter

FNG
Ride the stationary bike for 45 minutes every day at a high RPM to get the heart rate up there, then every other day I walk the treadmill at 10% grade for 3 miles with a 50 lbs pack on and switch off treadmill with the stair climber with the pack on.

MtnOyster

WKR
I run our high school football bleachers for about an hour 3 mornings a week before work in the mornings, after the first 2 weeks I put a pack on with 20lbs of weight starting the end of June or first of July and stay with it until we leave in September.

pace yourself, your legs will start screaming quick, I generally do a fast pace walk around the track a couple times in between running bleachers, the walk gives my legs a break and some recovery.