Flatlanders workout

sneaky

"DADDY"
You should tilt your treadmill at least 30 degrees sideways and practice side hilling if you want a realistic workout. The only ones that simulate western hunting are the incline trainers that go up to 40% incline. 15% might seem like a lot until you hit your first steep, sustained pitch. Then you realize it wasn't close to what reality is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
Being in north Texas there isn’t much for elevation I’ve found a pack and stair climber at the gym or at one of the schools around to be best for getting my legs ready. I got a backpack carrier for my almost 2yo daughter and she loves going for a ride. 25lb of “active weight” is great when walking the dog.

ive actually learned to not hate running anymore so we’ll see if that helps

SoDaky

WKR
I've hunted elk near annually since the 70s.Used to run a lot but gave it up due to leg/joint pain.
For me the key is staying active year round.I walk or snowshoe near daily all winter chasing coyotes.With a backpack on.Snow shoeing will kill you or keep you in shape.
In early summer I'll start walking daily with 30-40 lbs of weight in my backpack.3-4 miles is plenty-if you start in shape.Year around fitness and a somewhat decent diet are good enough.

ElkNut1

WKR
Working out is extremely important especially once you hit 45 or so. Prior to that it's fairly easy to get into a reasonable ElkShape if you really apply yourself. It doesn't matter if you are in flatland country or in the mountains, most of us must have a training program of some kind to maintain the endurance & stamina that elk hunting demands on our bodies.

For those of us beyond that age we generally have to have a pretty serious routine to STAY in ElkShape year around. Too, it helps if you enjoy doing it, if you do not you will find excuses to pass them by. Having the desire to archery elk hunt in our Run & Gun style demands you'd best be in decent shape or the mountains will beat you down. The Elk Do Not Care If You Are Not In Shape, it's up to us!

This is my workout routine I do year around, it works for me & I'm sure it will work for others too. I started this routine many years ago, it has helped me not just pack myself around but also over 150 loads of elk on my back. You will get out of it what you put into it! I'm 5'7" & 150# - I'll be 65 in April & have no plans of slowing down!
Hope this helps!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I stretch out 7 days a week, only takes 10 minutes.

It contains 25 jumping jacks, 7 lunges per leg with no weights, I reach/stretch into the air while hands are against a wall for 20 seconds, 25 toe raises to stretch calves, 12 squats with arms out straight with no weights, 30 pushups, take 10 second break & do 25 more. Rapidly jog in place for 30 seconds.

I stretch just before using any weights first with the above routine. I lift on Monday Wed. & Friday.

1 - I stand with 35# in each hand & hold in front of me against my body not up on my shoulders, I keep back straight with feet spread width of shoulders & squat down so weight touches floor, make sure your legs do all the work not your back. 3 sets, one 12 - one 14 - one 16 times. At the end of each set without putting weight down I toe raise with same weight 20-25 times, I then do 10 upright rows & 10 reverse curls with same weight, that motion is lifting the weight to the military position & back down to my waist. I put down that weight & now grab two 20# dumbbells & do lunges, I also do 3 sets of 7 -8-10 per leg. -- One set of the squats, curls, upright rows & lunges before doing 2nd & 3rd sets.

2 - I take 2 - 15# dumbbells & do flys with them while standing up. 3 sets of - 7-8-10 with each arm. After each set of flys to my sides I then do the same movement but instead of to my side I do them in front of me, I raise from them from my thighs to straight out in front with a slightly bent elbow. Do both before setting weight down & moving on to next set.

3 - No name for this exercise! I use 45# -- I lay on my back on the floor with the barbell/dumbbell behind my head on the ground, I take the weight & lift straight up & over body to my waist until arms are nearly straight out, I do 3 sets - 8 - 10 - 15 -- After each set with weight still in hand I do like 20-30 bench presses with it for fun & to tire the muscles a bit.

4 - This is one arm curls with dumbbells, I do 3 sets with 40# each arm. I do a set of 6 each & 8 each. Then I do 2 sets of 45# of 6 each & 8 each.

5 - Now I use what's called a Triceps bar, It has 65# on it. It's designed so when held you grip vertical bars with each hand so palms closed face each other. Starting position is weight is at thighs & now you lift to your chin, I do a set of 8 then military press for 8 reps at the same time. I then do 10 & 12 for a 3 set total!

6 - Curls with two hands on angled curling bar. (a straight bar will also work) I use 80# & do 3-4 sets of 6-7-8-10

As season gets two months out I sorta race through this workout to build more endurance!

Al this takes me an hour & 15 minutes to an hour & 30 minutes. Depends on how I feel that day or if I add a little touch here & there! (grin) Adjust weight capacity to fit your needs!

several months ago I quit doing bench because I have no room for the bench at our new place! I do all this in home, no gym!

I also Run/Jog 1-1/2 to 3 miles every Tues, Thurs, & Sat. I generally don't run on workout days! I take Sunday off or trade a Sat for it if needed!

3 months before the elk opener I add a pack with 30# to 60# & will alternate Running days with Pack carrying every other time!

I do this year around so no stopping & starting on a certain date!

ElkNut/Paul

Bcorn

FNG
Listen to the hunt back country podcast #211 Clear advice on training. Some good points are made. Kifaru cast had elk shape on also and Josh Bowman about nutrition.

I walk treadmill at 4 mph with 10 degree incline for 4-5 miles and also walk outside 4-6 miles with backpack increasing weight over time to 50 lbs.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Working out is extremely important especially once you hit 45 or so. Prior to that it's fairly easy to get into a reasonable ElkShape if you really apply yourself. It doesn't matter if you are in flatland country or in the mountains, most of us must have a training program of some kind to maintain the endurance & stamina that elk hunting demands on our bodies.

For those of us beyond that age we generally have to have a pretty serious routine to STAY in ElkShape year around. Too, it helps if you enjoy doing it, if you do not you will find excuses to pass them by. Having the desire to archery elk hunt in our Run & Gun style demands you'd best be in decent shape or the mountains will beat you down. The Elk Do Not Care If You Are Not In Shape, it's up to us!

This is my workout routine I do year around, it works for me & I'm sure it will work for others too. I started this routine many years ago, it has helped me not just pack myself around but also over 150 loads of elk on my back. You will get out of it what you put into it! I'm 5'7" & 150# - I'll be 65 in April & have no plans of slowing down!
Hope this helps!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I stretch out 7 days a week, only takes 10 minutes.

It contains 25 jumping jacks, 7 lunges per leg with no weights, I reach/stretch into the air while hands are against a wall for 20 seconds, 25 toe raises to stretch calves, 12 squats with arms out straight with no weights, 30 pushups, take 10 second break & do 25 more. Rapidly jog in place for 30 seconds.

I stretch just before using any weights first with the above routine. I lift on Monday Wed. & Friday.

1 - I stand with 35# in each hand & hold in front of me against my body not up on my shoulders, I keep back straight with feet spread width of shoulders & squat down so weight touches floor, make sure your legs do all the work not your back. 3 sets, one 12 - one 14 - one 16 times. At the end of each set without putting weight down I toe raise with same weight 20-25 times, I then do 10 upright rows & 10 reverse curls with same weight, that motion is lifting the weight to the military position & back down to my waist. I put down that weight & now grab two 20# dumbbells & do lunges, I also do 3 sets of 7 -8-10 per leg. -- One set of the squats, curls, upright rows & lunges before doing 2nd & 3rd sets.

2 - I take 2 - 15# dumbbells & do flys with them while standing up. 3 sets of - 7-8-10 with each arm. After each set of flys to my sides I then do the same movement but instead of to my side I do them in front of me, I raise from them from my thighs to straight out in front with a slightly bent elbow. Do both before setting weight down & moving on to next set.

3 - No name for this exercise! I use 45# -- I lay on my back on the floor with the barbell/dumbbell behind my head on the ground, I take the weight & lift straight up & over body to my waist until arms are nearly straight out, I do 3 sets - 8 - 10 - 15 -- After each set with weight still in hand I do like 20-30 bench presses with it for fun & to tire the muscles a bit.

4 - This is one arm curls with dumbbells, I do 3 sets with 40# each arm. I do a set of 6 each & 8 each. Then I do 2 sets of 45# of 6 each & 8 each.

5 - Now I use what's called a Triceps bar, It has 65# on it. It's designed so when held you grip vertical bars with each hand so palms closed face each other. Starting position is weight is at thighs & now you lift to your chin, I do a set of 8 then military press for 8 reps at the same time. I then do 10 & 12 for a 3 set total!

6 - Curls with two hands on angled curling bar. (a straight bar will also work) I use 80# & do 3-4 sets of 6-7-8-10

As season gets two months out I sorta race through this workout to build more endurance!

Al this takes me an hour & 15 minutes to an hour & 30 minutes. Depends on how I feel that day or if I add a little touch here & there! (grin) Adjust weight capacity to fit your needs!

several months ago I quit doing bench because I have no room for the bench at our new place! I do all this in home, no gym!

I also Run/Jog 1-1/2 to 3 miles every Tues, Thurs, & Sat. I generally don't run on workout days! I take Sunday off or trade a Sat for it if needed!

3 months before the elk opener I add a pack with 30# to 60# & will alternate Running days with Pack carrying every other time!

I do this year around so no stopping & starting on a certain date!

ElkNut/Paul
#3 sounds like what we call skullcrushers. Cuz that's what happens if you drop that weight lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like most here recommend some sort of typical exercise routine and everyone will respond a little differently. I think they are all good for overall health but in my opinion there are not many daily routines less then 2 hours that can prepare most people. They will all help but working out an hour a day doesn't prepare you for 16hr days of near constant moving and mental fatique day after day. I don't think much can beat getting out and hiking for 5-8 hours straight a couple times a week. I start about a month before season with 3-4 hours and add an hour or two each week. I try to keep a pace that is just below my redline for the first 1-2 hours. This will suck as flat lander as it will be boring and you will need to find someway to climb a small hill, stadium, parking garage etc. I don't use weight but I have the luxury of being in the mountains. I think this also helps with the mental part of hunting being able to keep your body moving for 6-8 hours at a time without stopping and your body being able to recover and continue steadily after an hour of heavy output. Another good alternate would be go biking and ride into the wind for 2 hours staying just below red line. Once you figure out how to manage your pace to stay around redline for 1-2 hours you can outwork most people in the mountains.

Poser

WKR
Seems like most here recommend some sort of typical exercise routine and everyone will respond a little differently. I think they are all good for overall health but in my opinion there are not many daily routines less then 2 hours that can prepare most people. They will all help but working out an hour a day doesn't prepare you for 16hr days of near constant moving and mental fatique day after day. I don't think much can beat getting out and hiking for 5-8 hours straight a couple times a week. I start about a month before season with 3-4 hours and add an hour or two each week. I try to keep a pace that is just below my redline for the first 1-2 hours. This will suck as flat lander as it will be boring and you will need to find someway to climb a small hill, stadium, parking garage etc. I don't use weight but I have the luxury of being in the mountains. I think this also helps with the mental part of hunting being able to keep your body moving for 6-8 hours at a time without stopping and your body being able to recover and continue steadily after an hour of heavy output. Another good alternate would be go biking and ride into the wind for 2 hours staying just below red line. Once you figure out how to manage your pace to stay around redline for 1-2 hours you can outwork most people in the mountains.

Meh. If you consider that most, if not all Successful endurance programs don’t have you actually do the distance you are competing in until the event itself. If you are training for a marathon, you don’t actually run a marathon until race day. 100 mile endurance racers don’t run 100 miles before the race. Even on the opposite end of the spectrum, proven powerlifting programs don’t have trainees even doing singles until 2-3 weeks before the Competition and never attempt anything beyond the opening lifts. It’s called peaking.

You don’t have to do a 16 hour day in order to be in shape to do a 16 hour day. Last season, I probably never did more than 6-7 miles of scouting (that’s my conditioning for hunting) in a day, but on the first day of my elk hunt (still preseason), I did a 15 mile sweep to cover a good bit of ground for some most up to date scouting intel. I did that with 8 days of food on my back, the longest hike of the season and on the first day of my hunt and it really didn’t cost me anything physically. I wasn’t sore or noticeably tired the next day. If you’re doing 5-8 hour training hikes in March for a hunt in September, you aren’t using your training time wisely or effectively. This far out, you should be primarily focused on strengthening your body. With a sufficiently strong body, conditioning shape should only take 4-6 weeks. If it’s taking longer than that, you aren’t following an effective program. Not to say that you won’t be ready to hunt elk following an inefficient program, because, to the contrary, it’s probably the norm based on what I read here in Rokslide. BUT, if we are talking about the most efficient use of your time to get in shape for elk hunting, conditioning should only take a few weeks and if it’s taking longer than that, it’s not an efficient program and I believe that is the bigger question: “how can I make the most use of my limited time to get In Shape for elk hunting?” And the answer is “not by doing 8 hour hikes 7 months out.”

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
Meh. If you consider that most, if not all Successful endurance programs don’t have you actually do the distance you are competing in until the event itself. If you are training for a marathon, you don’t actually run a marathon until race day. 100 mile endurance racers don’t run 100 miles before the race. Even on the opposite end of the spectrum, proven powerlifting programs don’t have trainees even doing singles until 2-3 weeks before the Competition and never attempt anything beyond the opening lifts. It’s called peaking.

You don’t have to do a 16 hour day in order to be in shape to do a 16 hour day. Last season, I probably never did more than 6-7 miles of scouting (that’s my conditioning for hunting) in a day, but on the first day of my elk hunt (still preseason), I did a 15 mile sweep to cover a good bit of ground for some most up to date scouting intel. I did that with 8 days of food on my back, the longest hike of the season and on the first day of my hunt and it really didn’t cost me anything physically. I wasn’t sore or noticeably tired the next day. If you’re doing 5-8 hour training hikes in March for a hunt in September, you aren’t using your training time wisely or effectively. This far out, you should be primarily focused on strengthening your body. With a sufficiently strong body, conditioning shape should only take 4-6 weeks. If it’s taking longer than that, you aren’t following an effective program. Not to say that you won’t be ready to hunt elk following an inefficient program, because, to the contrary, it’s probably the norm based on what I read here in Rokslide. BUT, if we are talking about the most efficient use of your time to get in shape for elk hunting, conditioning should only take a few weeks and if it’s taking longer than that, it’s not an efficient program and I believe that is the bigger question: “how can I make the most use of my limited time to get In Shape for elk hunting?” And the answer is “not by doing 8 hour hikes 7 months out.”

If you read what I wrote I said that I start about a month prior to season which is about exactly what you proposed (4-6 weeks). It had nothing to do with making the best use of your time and had nothing to do with what to do in March. If you read what I said it is almost exactly what you did prior to last season. I never said anything about doing a 16 hour day. 16 hours is what I posted is a typical hunting day, and need to be able to do consecutive days at that level. I said 5-8 hour training hikes which is about half of a day of hunting time wise which is pretty consistent to your 6-7 miles of scouting is about half of what your first day of hunting was mileage wise. 6-7 miles of scouting around Durango was likely between 5-8 hours.

I personally don't try to peak for hunting. I am not trying to perform at max for a single event. I am trying to work at a moderate level day after day, sleep deprived, and likely deficient in calories.

There is also a big difference between and athlete who competes running marathons and knows exactly what it takes to run a marathon or endurance race in a single event vs someone who does not know what it takes mentally or physically yet. It is much easier to complete an event if you know physically and mentally what is needed.

Bcorn

FNG
Good points. A person needs to build up there endurance and stamina.

Fleetwood

Lil-Rokslider
3 mile 45lb weighted pack hike with at least 3 hills. 4x per week. Exercise according to what you are going to be doing. And like many said, eat as clean as you can...aka everything in moderation.

300m

FNG
Box step (12-14 inch high) for 30 min with 25 lb pack 5 x week. Hit all the hills, no matter how small, when walking the dog. Wear a pack the closer it is to the season. Mix in upper body work 3x week— push-ups, pull-ups and resistance bands.