Flattops Advice

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
This will be my second season living and hunting in Colorado. I was lucky enough to harvest a great first bull in Eagle’s Nest Wilderness area last year after a lot of scouting and many hard miles.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/elk/54474-colorado-2nd-season-success-unit-36-a.html

This was the most convenient area considering my brother had a limited time he could be away from the vet practice. When I started my scouting I found very few places we could get away from roads and the general population. With limited options, it was pretty easy to focus and heavily scout the foot traffic only areas.

This year we have more time and my brother has relocated to Basalt, which has me considering the Flattops, yes I know its two words, hoping to throw off internet scouters. Just looking at the map there is clearly A LOT more area to explore and lots of access points. I’m looking for any advice people are willing to offer, VIA PM PLEASE! Elevations elk/muley’s were throughout the seasons, rut times, bull/cow ratio, where you found them, i.e. dark timber, parks, aspen benches. I am more than happy to share the same information for the units I’ve been.

Just like last year, I will put in my own time and effort to get into the area before season and identify hot spots. We plan on packing in and setting up a base camp for the week. We are hoping to avoid the road hunters and not end up among other horse camps/outfitters if possible. I know this is idealistic but I was able to do it last year in similar conditions.
One more thing, anyone have a good llama rental or packer they would recommend in the area?

Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone out there!

Bar

Banned
It sounds like you're doing fine on your own so far. Just keep doing what you're doing.

kpk

WKR
We were there a few years back and it was rough. There was a local guy going in on horseback about 10 miles that was into elk though. Pm me if you want more info...

oldgoat

WKR
I've been into elk numerous times there less than a mile from the road until the sheep come through then it's over. Avoid sheep completely, if they have been through or come through go someplace else, can't stress this enough!!!! Lots and lots and lots and lots of deadfall out there!