Fleece help!!!

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
best thing you can do is find a few pieces used or new. hike in them and hunt in them. see what works best for your style and sell the rest.
I’m pretty good about tweaking and all. I have been trying to tweak this year and loosing some weight and having a quieter outer layer for bow hunting.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Kelvin active is a great piece! Use one under my Jetstream jacket when i need insulation in treestand. Pack in and put on once in tree! With a sitka heavyweight top on underneath and jetstream over top it lets me sit in surprisingly cold temps (low 30's) for 3-4 hrs comfortably. Any colder and a kelvin puffy coat is put on over.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I have also started to slip/still hunting too with a bow. Which is awesome and an adrenaline rush. I either sit on the ground, in a saddle or slip. I usually hunt a minimum 2 miles from the truck.

Drenalin

WKR
The Peloton 240 and Kenai combo is really nice for what you're describing. With a merino base and 97 hoodie though, they hit their limit for me around 40 degrees, maybe down to freezing. I would not recommend wearing the Kenai while you're moving - it's fairly delicate.

The Kenai has no wind stopping, and that feature of the 240 is - in my opinion - overstated. If it's cold and/or windy, I've been using the Stratus in place of the 240. It works pretty well, but I strongly prefer the fit of Kuiu over Sitka.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
The Peloton 240 and Kenai combo is really nice for what you're describing. With a merino base and 97 hoodie though, they hit their limit for me around 40 degrees, maybe down to freezing. I would not recommend wearing the Kenai while you're moving - it's fairly delicate.

The Kenai has no wind stopping, and that feature of the 240 is - in my opinion - overstated. If it's cold and/or windy, I've been using the Stratus in place of the 240. It works pretty well, but I strongly prefer the fit of Kuiu over Sitka.
I have had to be stratus. All of that stuff is too heavy. It gets down to teens im grabbing my chamberlain. I will not walk around in puffy. I strip down

bootheeltechy

Lil-Rokslider
I have also started to slip/still hunting too with a bow. Which is awesome and an adrenaline rush. I either sit on the ground, in a saddle or slip. I usually hunt a minimum 2 miles from the truck.
I do the slip/still hunt on rainy/windy days too! Been using saddle 3 or 4 years now for those 2 plus mile/bicycle hunts. Have been trimming the fat off myself and my gear since. Rid myself of FL Sanctuary last season and have moved on to stratus bibs and glassing puffies for cold weather. Can pack everything in/on a Mystery Ranch pintler pack. Very compact!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Why do you want to layer a heavy fleece over your grid fleece?
First. It’s so crazy. My sons name is Hayden Lane.

Anyway. I’m not real sure. I just like a heavier fleece second mid layer. I only wore the extra fleece on days in the teens so it only made 5 trips this year.

jd1006

WKR
The other jacket option that you can find in the classifieds, but it is discontinued, is the Kuiu Kutana Hybrid, which is lightly insulated on the front, strongfleece on the arms and back. It has more insulation then your typical mid layer, but dries out quickly.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
The other jacket option that you can find in the classifieds, but it is discontinued, is the Kuiu Kutana Hybrid, which is lightly insulated on the front, strongfleece on the arms and back. It has more insulation then your typical mid layer, but dries out quickly.
I’ll have to look for.

First. It’s so crazy. My sons name is Hayden Lane.

Anyway. I’m not real sure. I just like a heavier fleece second mid layer. I only wore the extra fleece on days in the teens so it only made 5 trips this year.
Maybe I’m a little biased, but I think it’s an excellent name.

I haven’t found such a combination to add as much warmth as I wanted, especially for the weight. I have done active insulation over a very light fleece layer (peloton 97), and that worked well for adding flexibility. Windshirts in conjunction with fleece or active insulation is another option that can work well. Barklow did a video on his instagram not long ago on cold weather layering, could be some useful info there.

As far as what you’re looking for, I’d second the recommendations for the Peloton 240 and Swazi Hood.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Maybe I’m a little biased, but I think it’s an excellent name.

I haven’t found such a combination to add as much warmth as I wanted, especially for the weight. I have done active insulation over a very light fleece layer (peloton 97), and that worked well for adding flexibility. Windshirts in conjunction with fleece or active insulation is another option that can work well. Barklow did a video on his instagram not long ago on cold weather layering, could be some useful info there.

As far as what you’re looking for, I’d second the recommendations for the Peloton 240 and Swazi Hood.
I’ve been doing some research today. Down to even counting ounces. I believe I’ve got an idea base, kelvin active hoody, 240 kenai. I’ll kee my grid fleece and all too just seems a bit lighter to me and from reviews maybe quieter

TxxAgg

WKR
I bow hunt public land near me so pack everything in each time to keep mobile. I've switched to wearing a puffy with a lightweight softshell (OR ferrosi) over to cut noise and wind . Also consider active insolation like north face ventrix or kuiu kenai. Both are lighter than fleece and more packable with similar warmth and also just as quiet. I pretty much have on the kenia vest from October through January as one of my layers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Is the OR Ferrosi quiet? I was checking them out online.

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
Is the OR Ferrosi quiet? I was checking them out online.
Not right out of pack but after a wash and slight break in, they are as quiet as a pair of hiking/hunting pants (basically same material). I wanted one because my wind shirt was too loud and my other softshells were too heavy/hot. This was a good and fairly cheap best of both worlds.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Wildly enough after lots of research and phone calls. The badlands detour is going to be my choice for that layer this year

StalksAlone

FNG
Classified Approved
Wildly enough after lots of research and phone calls. The badlands detour is going to be my choice for that layer this year
Can you share a little about what specifically made this the best choice? Warmth, windbreaker, quiet?

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Can you share a little about what specifically made this the best choice? Warmth, windbreaker, quiet?
I’ve added more in-depth research and decided against the detour. Just already had items I place that performed the same. I guess just good advertising lol. I am just sticking with the FL catalyst and my old school Walmart Remington fleece. Just no reason to change when it performs already.