Fletch offset? Update

N2TRKYS

WKR
Has anyone noticed a correlation in the arrow weight when going against the natural rotation of the arrow with your offset? In other words, does this effect lighter arrows more so than heavier arrows with the same fletching?

This is with fixed broadheads.

Changing my vane offset with the natural rotation of my arrow, fixed the flight issue. Problem solved. Thanks for the info and conversation.

Last edited:

wayoh22

WKR
Haven't noticed a difference switching from a 260 to 300 spine but maybe with a larger grain difference.

Hmm. Just a shot in the dark here, but I would think fletchings would get the lighter arrow corrected and spinning the way they want it to quicker than the heavier arrow. However I doubt you would be able to tell the difference in it. A sLo-mo video can pick up a little longer pause in rotation of the arrow when the arrow wants to spin opposite of the arrow. It seemed to get spinning a little faster too if I remember right (when arrow spin and fletching we’re working together). I’m sure that would help stabilize a little better in theory. Again, probably not noticeable by 99% of archers out there.

Doubt I answered your question. Just a few thoughts on the matter I had.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
Hmm. Just a shot in the dark here, but I would think fletchings would get the lighter arrow corrected and spinning the way they want it to quicker than the heavier arrow. However I doubt you would be able to tell the difference in it. A sLo-mo video can pick up a little longer pause in rotation of the arrow when the arrow wants to spin opposite of the arrow. It seemed to get spinning a little faster too if I remember right (when arrow spin and fletching we’re working together). I’m sure that would help stabilize a little better in theory. Again, probably not noticeable by 99% of archers out there.

Doubt I answered your question. Just a few thoughts on the matter I had.

No, no. I appreciate your thoughts. I’ve never checked the natural rotation of my arrow, until this afternoon. At approximately 5’, my arrow had turned a quarter of a turn. Since it’s the first time I’ve checked it, idk if that’s alot or normal.

Greenmachine_1

Lil-Rokslider
Speaking in terms of effect on rotational velocity, I'd suspect that the total arrow weight would have less effect than some other things.

In no particular order, the things that I would expect to play a larger role than total arrow weight:
Size of fletching
Amount of fletching offset
Broadhead size
Number of fletchings
Number of broadhead blades
Distribution of weight around the axis of the arrow (theoretical centerline)
Straightness of the arrow and components (total run-out over the entire surface)

To answer your question, all things being as equal as possible (since if everything was equal, it'd be the same) a heavier arrow will react slower to external inputs compared to a lighter arrow. The simple answer to why is due to momentum and conservation of energy. Heavy objects absorb more kinectic energy and more energy is required to change that trajectory than with something with less mass.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

406unltd

WKR
I clocked mine because I saw it at 40 yds repeatedly. I’m not sure why that specific distance but that’s just how it went down. I could see the vanes knuckle ballin. I shoot a 560ish grain arrow. I fletched em left and bow that problem is gone. Not to mention this is the first time I’ve tried to bh tune with left and it just so happen to be the easiest tune I’ve had in my life. Not saying that was what did it or even that it helped. I’m just saying I’ve tuned this exact bow and arrow setup 4 times and this was hands down the easiest. Got them out to 70 which was the furthest I was willing to try yesterday because I wasn’t holding the best.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
I clocked mine because I saw it at 40 yds repeatedly. I’m not sure why that specific distance but that’s just how it went down. I could see the vanes knuckle ballin. I shoot a 560ish grain arrow. I fletched em left and bow that problem is gone. Not to mention this is the first time I’ve tried to bh tune with left and it just so happen to be the easiest tune I’ve had in my life. Not saying that was what did it or even that it helped. I’m just saying I’ve tuned this exact bow and arrow setup 4 times and this was hands down the easiest. Got them out to 70 which was the furthest I was willing to try yesterday because I wasn’t holding the best.

So, your arrows wanted to naturally rotate left? How much rotation did you get and how far away from your target were you when you checked it?

406unltd

WKR
Bareshaft they turned left. I did it at 10 yds. I got about 1/4 turn. Could have been a bit more but I’m going off memory and it was a while back..... the bobble on the back end with the right offset was pretty violent when I would see it. Almost looked like a circular motion. I shoot a decent foc though so I don’t know if that Made it more pronounced. I run 230g total on the front and just under 41 on the back. 4 fletch aae hybrid 26. Either way refletching with left offset cleared it up and flight is cleaner.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
Bareshaft they turned left. I did it at 10 yds. I got about 1/4 turn. Could have been a bit more but I’m going off memory and it was a while back..... the bobble on the back end with the right offset was pretty violent when I would see it. Almost looked like a circular motion. I shoot a decent foc though so I don’t know if that Made it more pronounced. I run 230g total on the front and just under 41 on the back. 4 fletch aae hybrid 26. Either way refletching with left offset cleared it up and flight is cleaner.

Glad you got it figured out. I saw mine with my lighter arrow(406 grain) and didn’t with my heavier arrow(438). It’s interesting that you mentioned foc. I didn’t think about that being a factor. The ones I saw the wobble on was my lighter arrows, which has the higher foc of the two.

I have two bows that will put a 1/4 turn on a bareshaft at 3-4'. At 10' it turned 180 so I had to start closer. Some bows hardly put any rotation. All mine rotate ccw. Even the one with rogue strings that twist the opposite direction.

Even my fast rotation bows I can't tell a difference to me score if using right versus left offset.