Fletching Arrows

Need some advice. I dont own a jig, glue, vanes or the tool to cut arrows. but I'm in the market for new heavier arrow (500gr with broadhead) my options around here is slim to none because its whitetail country. Looking at daysix arrow but wondering if it worth buying all the equipment to build my own arrows. I'm not much of a tinkerer and the last time I bought arrows was 7 years ago and still have most of them left.

I know zero about fletching...
Is it easy?
Does it take a bunch of time?
What kind of equipment should I buy if I decide to go that route?
Is it worth the extra money because I dont buy arrows often?

Thank you fellow roksliders

If you keep arrows that long and dont like tinkering have someone build you a set. South shore archery can build what you want

Biminabe

FNG
If you keep arrows that long and dont like tinkering have someone build you a set. South shore archery can build what you want
+1
BB.jpg

Several options to have arrows built. Black Ovis is a sponsor that offers it. There is a review of the service here.

I don't think it's worth getting the equipment to do it yourself if your not going through that many arrows, or enjoy tinkering.

500 grain shouldn't be hard to get to. Most any 300 spine arrow with a heavier insert would get you there. I'd think most bow shops in whitetail areas would be able to get you there, unless your shooting really heavy poundage or long draw.

Gold tip 300 kinetic 29" with standard components and 125 grain head will be 463-465 grains before fletching. Depends on your fletching you could add 10-20 grain fact weight to be right at 500 grain. With standard 3 vane blazers they come with you should be right about 500 with a 20 grain fact weight.

Last edited:
OP
Fridaythe13th
Pretty normal draw length 29" with 67# bow. Insert are not very common around here Scheels or cabelas did not have they recommended FMJ but I was told they bend when pulling out of a target. So that's why I was looking into daysix.

What arrow whould people suggest to get around 500 - 550 gr total? I elk hunt only. ....... 29 1/2 " arrow shooting a 125 grain heads

I edited my post above yours for an example and you might have missed it. Other option is a black eagle deep impact. You can order those fletched from them directly. 29" 300 shaft with their components and their fletching with 125 head should be 510 grains. I would think if you speak to them they will cut the shafts for you. You just won't be able to return them.

Pretty normal draw length 29" with 67# bow. Insert are not very common around here Scheels or cabelas did not have they recommended FMJ but I was told they bend when pulling out of a target. So that's why I was looking into daysix.

What arrow whould people suggest to get around 500 - 550 gr total? I elk hunt only. ....... 29 1/2 " arrow shooting a 125 grain heads

OP
Fridaythe13th
I edited my post above yours for an example and you might have missed it. Other option is a black eagle deep impact. You can order those fletched from them directly. 29" 300 shaft with their components and their fletching with 125 head should be 510 grains. I would think if you speak to them they will cut the shafts for you. You just won't be able to return them.

We must have been typing at the same time. Lol.
Is the deep impact the ones that take special broadhead?
I well check out the gold tips.
Thank you

dkime

WKR
Need some advice. I dont own a jig, glue, vanes or the tool to cut arrows. but I'm in the market for new heavier arrow (500gr with broadhead) my options around here is slim to none because its whitetail country. Looking at daysix arrow but wondering if it worth buying all the equipment to build my own arrows. I'm not much of a tinkerer and the last time I bought arrows was 7 years ago and still have most of them left.

I know zero about fletching...
Is it easy?
Does it take a bunch of time?
What kind of equipment should I buy if I decide to go that route?
Is it worth the extra money because I dont buy arrows often?

Thank you fellow roksliders

Unless you’re planning on doing a ton of shafts in your life it’s hard to justify buying all the equipment, Day Six will sell you fletched shafts if you’re interested in going that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any significant archery practice and you'll be tearing feathers off your arroes. Just grab a used Bitzenberger for $75 and enjoy a lifetime of easy fetching, then will it to one of your kids.

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
I would definitely have Black Ovis build them for you. Your going to screw up the first set of arrows you attempt. Wouldn't be a bad idea to run I Bohning tower jig to refletch if you use Blazers.

Beendare

WKR
No shop is going to take the time to build your arrows as well as you will.

Fletching is easy. Get yourself an Arizona Eze fletch. Cleaning first is key.

Checking spine, Truing the ends on a jig....meticulous assembly is not rocket science.

OP
Fridaythe13th
Thank you all.

I'm looking into jigs... but what kind of glue does everyone use? Is 1 kind better than another? Blazers must be at the top as far as vanes go.

dkime

WKR
Thank you all.

I'm looking into jigs... but what kind of glue does everyone use? Is 1 kind better than another? Blazers must be at the top as far as vanes go.

If you’re running blazers you’ll probably need to do some prep, look at the AAE prep pen and max bond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read this if you haven't. It's in a sticky at the top of this section. Gives you an idea of how to do everything.

This ^^^

Plus a million YTube videos on how incredibly easy it is. It's so easy even I can do it, and without reviewing a single YTube video. But I do remember being about 10 years old and watching my dad fletch arrows with his trusty Bitzenburger. (y)