Fletching choices

LostArra

WKR
For the longbow, recurve, selfbow shooters:

What are your fletch colors and fletch length for hunting (bh) arrows?

5" Chartreuse and natural barred are my stand-by colors.
I've been using 4" on some carbon arrows for 3D and I may try them with broadheads.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Three 5" LW
I seem to change colors a lot but my favorites are natural barred white and pink. I like a chartreuse nock most of the time.

Shot

FNG
I'm using four 2'' feathers, change from three 5'' feathers. In hot pink color.

Pink is amazingly an easy color to see, pops in almost any background

Found that with the high foc setup I needed much less fletching to stabilize my arrows, even with a big broadhead, and I'm shooting the grizzly kodiaks.

Attachments

• 20131213_161712.jpg
    20131213_161712.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 43
I've been experimenting with 4 fletch instead of 3. And using bigger 5 1/2 shield feathers. Seems to get the arrows straighter faster for shooting through tight spots. Even with heavy broadheads they fly like my field points.

On my normal arrows (Easton Axis 340's) I run four 2" hot pink vanes with a white wrap. I have been experimenting with some Easont A/C/C 390's and with a 125 tip they need the four 5" vanes to work right for me.

Huntfun

FNG
After years and years of using 5" 3 feathers I recently switched to 4" 4 feathers and am very happy with the change. While it does cost more per dozen arrows to make, I like the fact no matter how I put the arrow on the string it is correct...no messing around with making sure the nock feather is out. As far as color goes I like a white crown so I can see where the arrow hits the animal when the light is not great. I think any brighter crown color would work well, I just prefer white. As far as feather colors I go with ones that go well with whatever stain I use on the balance of the arrow. I have been using sherwood tapered shafts lately and really like them.

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
Interesting Huntfun.

I've never gone to 4 fletch on my cedars because I am particular about grain orientation of the shaft/ feather placement.
I like the grain running horizontal when the arrow is nocked.
Probably not important on center cut (or past) bows but I've always felt that spine of the shaft could vary depending on the grain direction.
Of course, I'm wrong about lots of stuff. just ask my wife.

Huntfun

FNG
LostArra
Unless you are so particular you must have one specific side of the grain on the up side a 4 flracthed arrow still has proper grain postiton no mater how you put it on as long as one puts the nock on correctly.