Fletching Fight: FOB vs Vane

You may have seen my Bow Battles or my Broadhead Battles. Now I have a "Fletching Fight" video I compared the FOBs to my Blazers at a 4 degree helical. It was fun to test them out.

Check out the vid to see the test. Hope it's helpful.

OP
Bowhuntr64
I recommend doing a search on the different archery sites before you throw $$ away on FOB's....lots of commentary on these.....and it seems the shills are the only ones pumping them.

Bruce, that’s a pretty strong claim about my motives. I assure you I’m no shill. Was there something in my test that you felt was unfair? What is it about them that you consider not worth throwing away $$ on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Bowhuntr64
i may have missed the part about the rests. i know you said drop away rest...... does that also pertain to limbdriven as well?

It doesn’t have anything to do with the type of drop away; it’s just to make sure the rest drops in time for the fob to clear.

dg09

FNG
It doesn’t have anything to do with the type of drop away; it’s just to make sure the rest drops in time for the fob to clear.

im curious if a limbdriven rest would fall away in time as opposed to a cable since you can change the timing on the cable driven

LandYacht

WKR
Used fobs for 5 years, really enjoyed them. Got a killer deal on close out shrink wrap vanes and still haven’t used them all up. Would go back to fobs in a heartbeat. Not sure how anyone could bad talk them in my experience.

Glad to see a video review on them!

nphunter

WKR
I watched a buddy ruin 4 FOB's in about 20 minutes of shooting last Thursday. My two boys and I shot just as long and ruined zero fletchings. My 13 year old also outshot him with fletchings at 40 yards so in my test they are less accurate than AAE vanes:)

IMO the FOB's are garbage, three broke when he hit something hard and one from my son shooting too close to his arrow. There was major face contact issues when he was shooting which I didn't mention but definitely noticed. Even on good hits he was searching around in the grass for his FOB a couple of times because they popped off. Would be a nightmare in the woods or even popping off while in the quiver if you hunt spot and stalk in brushy country like many of us do out west. If your sitting in a ground blind down in TX shooting pigs they may be awesome, especially if you have time to go out and look from them when they fall off, there are lots of spots I go when hunting out here that I may never step foot in again and the last thing I want to do when chasing a bull is stop to look for a FOB that just fell off.

If speed and ease of fletchings is a factor the best option is to go buy quik fletch with 3" low profile cross bow quikspin vanes, takes 5 minutes to fletch a dozen arrows and they don't fall off when you hit a target. They also are proven to spin significantly faster than standard vanes.

As far as the tests go if they were more accurate you would see them on all the podiums not just on you tube.

Unless your slapping arrows at 40 yards and shooting constant 300's indoors it is pretty hard to speak to the accuracy of a certain fletch. I can go out one day and have 5 arrows touching at 40 yards and shoot a 6" group the next day. There is no way to determine any fletch is better than the next without extensive testing, document your group sizes at 40 yards for a month straight and post them with the FOB's vs regular fletchings.

I have seen a lot of people try them over the years and they all have one thing in common, they all have stopped!!

Bowhuntr64, I have enjoyed some of your videos over the years, especially some of the broadhead testing videos. Sales pitch videos like this when your pushing a gimmicky product like FOB will make people want to scroll past your videos. I know for me this will discredit a lot of your other videos in my eyes, I'll always be wondering which products you are promoting from now on, you should actually start your videos with the promo codes that way we know right off the get-go that the videos will be garbage. You might as well have started out by saying, you hadn't really given FOB's much thought until you thought you could make a buck by pushing them on your channel.

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
If FOB's were worth the effort, you'd see them on World Archery or in a real archery tournament. Those guys have tested vanes for decades.

Same for a whisker biscuit rest.

Gumbo

WKR
I am curious if Lusk Archery gets kickbacks or any type of compensation for any of the products he promotes. I'm always skeptical of any online testing, but thought this dude was pretty fair and objective in his testing of broadheads. When I saw this video I was surprised he even considered the product, then I was even more surprised in how it seemed to perform. Not that I would ever consider running them, unless they proved superior to fletching, which they aren't because no pro uses them...same with the Pro V sights, Whisker Biscuits, etc.

That said, I don't think it is fair to consider Lusk a shill simply because he reviewed a product that isn't of conventional/proven design and seems totally gimmicky (he is definitely no Outdoors Allie who also reviewed them). If he misrepresented the product in any way, for compensation or not, then he is a liar or shill for sure. But again, this isn't the vibe I usually get from this dude. The are real shills all over TV using absolutely bogus products...I mean is Dudley a shill for promoting Hex Suits??? What about all the scent killer product placement during hunting shows (nose jammer, sprays, etc). This is why I appreciate Lusk's reviews I guess, he at least gives me some objective, HOPEFULLY UNBIASED evidence of broadheads I might wish to experiment with and those I defintely do not.

nphunter

WKR
I am curious if Lusk Archery gets kickbacks or any type of compensation for any of the products he promotes. I'm always skeptical of any online testing, but thought this dude was pretty fair and objective in his testing of broadheads. When I saw this video I was surprised he even considered the product, then I was even more surprised in how it seemed to perform. Not that I would ever consider running them, unless they proved superior to fletching, which they aren't because no pro uses them...same with the Pro V sights, Whisker Biscuits, etc.

That said, I don't think it is fair to consider Lusk a shill simply because he reviewed a product that isn't of conventional/proven design and seems totally gimmicky (he is definitely no Outdoors Allie who also reviewed them). If he misrepresented the product in any way, for compensation or not, then he is a liar or shill for sure. But again, this isn't the vibe I usually get from this dude. The are real shills all over TV using absolutely bogus products...I mean is Dudley a shill for promoting Hex Suits??? What about all the scent killer product placement during hunting shows (nose jammer, sprays, etc). This is why I appreciate Lusk's reviews I guess, he at least gives me some objective, HOPEFULLY UNBIASED evidence of broadheads I might wish to experiment with and those I defintely do not.

I agree and also felt in the past he has given unbiased reviews. Fast forward to 17 minutes into this video though where he posts there website with a lusk10 promo code which means he gets a kickback anytime someone buys them using his code and the review gets bias real quick. especially when half the videos only show one shot with the FOB and two with the fletched. Like the 80 yard Broadhead test, the second FOB shot probably stuck in the dirt so he chose to only show the one that hit with the other two fletched shafts.

This video came off to me as a sales pitch plain and simple and I would urge anyone to do a little research before wasting their money on FOB’s.

Comparing Dudley to Lusk is not really apples to apples, Dudley could put his name on a turd and people would buy it and smear it on their bows.

MattB

WKR
Unfortunately that seems to be the pattern. Guys test gear they buy and post results, and then the hobby ultimately becomes a business and things change.

Gumbo

WKR
Dudley could put his name on a turd and people would buy it and smear it on their bows.

This is freaking hillarious, and true! In fairness I wasn't trying to compare them, only show that even the Gods of the outdoor industry could be considered shills at times. I also didn't see the promo code...I just scrolled through to see the shots. Kind of changes my take on the video.

Beendare

WKR
Bruce, that’s a pretty strong claim about my motives. I assure you I’m no shill. Was there something in my test that you felt was unfair? What is it about them that you consider not worth throwing away $$ on?

John I didn't watch your test....were you pumping them?

You are just driving traffic to your site....I didn't read that you are promoting them. Did you actually purchase these?

I was referring to the commentary on the forums from guys that tried them....and thought I stated that.

Heres a test; Shoot them from a spring rest....or a Whisker biscuit. ...Or drag them through the woods for a couple of days and see if they stay in place. As I recall there was one comment from a guy that was leaving a Hansel and Gretel trail through the woods with these and when it came time to shoot something, all he had was bare shafts.

That was one of the more entertaining examples...but there are many guys that have tried these and weren't happy- but don't take my word for it, do a search. A solution looking for a problem?

Seems like the rekindling of these long dead from years ago..... new owners?..... they should have done that research.....

Mudd Foot

WKR
Thanks for posting the video John. For the record, I ordered a pack to try as I too enjoy trying new items. Too bad that this thread degraded into name calling etc.

Zac

WKR
I have been playing around with arrow lengths fairly extensively. For the most part I was taking my jig and my saw at times to the range with me. I'm going to try some of these to test flight characteristics before I decide to throw fletchings on.