FLETCHING JIG

BowhuntingBrune3

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for a jig to fletch a dozen arrows a year maybe 2 dozen and the occasional refletch. What do you all recommend? I would love a bitz but for that little amount of fletching I don't know if it is worth it?

Zac

WKR
I've only had success with the Bitz and I'm not really a big fan of it either. The AAE easy fletches broke or pulled vanes off after unclamping. My fault for letting glue build up and dropping one off the table. Bitz is kind of lame because it's old and your cock vane will stick out the side of you nock index. You can sort of fix this if you purchase Zenith upgrade, or one of the TM nock receivers. I think the new Bohning jig works okay, but I've read some horrible reviews on it. I'll leave you a video review of it below.

Problem is a lot of the cheap ones don't offer very much adjustability. I have an arizona ez fletch but it's for full length feathers/vanes and didn't work very well with shorter vanes. Then got a Bohning something that was for putting a 3 degree helix on a blazer vane. Worked fine for that but basically only a blazer vane. Now using a bitz and I can do everything I did before, plus all kinds of other stuff. Just gives lots of options.

If you know exactly what vanes you are going to shoot, you don't tinker with things just get an ez-fletch that fits your setup. If you like trying things here and there I think you would be best to purchase a bitz up front.

Jimbob

WKR
I do not go through 2 dozen arrows a year but own a bitz. I bought it 16 years ago and it still works great doing everything I want. I am very happy I bought the bitz as it works perfectly for me and I am sure it will continue to do so for many more years. Great investment.

Zac

WKR
Problem is a lot of the cheap ones don't offer very much adjustability. I have an arizona ez fletch but it's for full length feathers/vanes and didn't work very well with shorter vanes. Then got a Bohning something that was for putting a 3 degree helix on a blazer vane. Worked fine for that but basically only a blazer vane. Now using a bitz and I can do everything I did before, plus all kinds of other stuff. Just gives lots of options.

If you know exactly what vanes you are going to shoot, you don't tinker with things just get an ez-fletch that fits your setup. If you like trying things here and there I think you would be best to purchase a bitz up front.
I agree. Get a Bohning Tower jig I think they call it. Everyone these days makes a 2 inch Blazer replica so you could use any of them. 3 degrees is what I would wan't to use on a hunting set up anyways. AAE now has a Blazer look alike in their Hybrid series.

nphunter

WKR
Buy a used Bitz on ebay or in a classifieds section, they last forever and can be used for pretty much any configuration. I only fletch about 2 or 3 dozen arrows a year but love being able to fletch whatever I want, works great for repairs on any arrow as well and is aluminum so you can just use a blade or chemicals to remove old residue to keep it clean. You can also fletch whatever you want, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, fletch and if you ever decide to sell it you will get what you paid for it or more for it depending on how long you keep it.

MattB

WKR
I really like the AZ EZ Fletch mini. Easy to use and fast. I have 2 and can fletch a dozen arrows in 15-20 minutes.

drose

FNG
Bitz, I don't go through a lot of arrows either, but the ease and information out there is nonparallel to any other brand. Its also rock solid.
Ask your local shop for any used ones or check Archerytalk, they are frequently posted

bat-cave

WKR
AZ Mini Fletch is great for 3 Fletch Blazers, but I've moved on to the Bitz and more recently the LCA. I go through a lot of arrows (Target / Hunting) with 5 shooters in the household and admittedly I like to tinker ... If you're happy with something simple like what the AZ can do ... it's super easy and not expensive.

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
AZ Mini Fletch is great for 3 Fletch Blazers, but I've moved on to the Bitz and more recently the LCA. I go through a lot of arrows (Target / Hunting) with 5 shooters in the household and admittedly I like to tinker ... If you're happy with something simple like what the AZ can do ... it's super easy and not expensive.
Is it easy to nock index off the LCA. Like just throw the bareshaft in after you've turned your nock and have the cock vane be in the perfect position. Also is it possible to do the same with a 4 fletch. I shoot 3 now because I find it impossible to index correctly with a 4 fletch.

Flaboy

Lil-Rokslider
Im relatively new to fletching so I dont have any experience with any other system than the Arizona EZ Fletch. Its simple and straightforward. I only botched 2 arrows to get the hang of it.

I have a bitz and a bohning helix tower fletching jig and I always find myself using the bohning. It’s faster because it does all 3 fletchings at the same time and it’s super easy to use. I like the bitz if I’m going to mess around with longer fletchings/4 fletch but I always just end up doing a 3 fletch 3 degree helical which is what the bohning is made for.

Reactions: Zac

cman79

FNG
I splurged and bought a bitz this year to try 4 fletching. In the past I used an Arizona Mini. After using the bitz im not looking back definitely a worthwhile upgrade in my mind.

Zac

WKR
I have been messing around with the TM nock receivers for Bitz. They don't currently have one for a 4 fletch which is why I only do 3 fletch. All the hours of nock tuning are almost useless if you 4 fletch on the Bitz.

Zac

WKR
Bitz originally was made for recurves shooting off the shelf. That's why your cock vane will point off towards the left requiring the nock to be turned in order to have it 90 degrees straight up. People that turn their nocks to get perfect holes through paper are not able to keep that perfect nock position when using the standard nock receiver. All the time spent tuning goes down the drain when you have to move the nock from the perfect position in order to achieve proper vane clearance in a standard 3 fletch configuration.

Sharpsman

FNG
Buy the bitzenburger it will last forever and has a ton of adjustability. Unless your glueing your mocks on you can index your cock feather any place you want