Fletching options

I’m getting ready to buy a Bitz and gonna start building my own arrows.

With that said, diving into fletching there’s literally hundreds of options. I’ve pretty much only used blazers on box arrows, so I’m pretty dumb to the advantages/disadvantages of other fletching options. To make matters worse, there’s a thousand different threads on them and opinions.

I was gonna ask what everyone used, but I’d love to hear a real world rundown of the differences between the options... even a link to a decent website that goes over the differences would be great.

I’d like to shoot big distances(80+), obviously not on game at the higher distances but targets/practice. I don’t do any 3D shoots/competitions/anything of that nature.

Thanks in advance

Zac

WKR
The shorter higher profile vanes are typically used to stabilize fixed blades. Every manufacturer makes a 2 inch Blazer look alike hunting vane. These are typically used in 3 fletch configuration with a 3 degree right helical. Some people that are shooting large heads use a 4 fletch with 2 inch high profiles. Good recommendations for this would be the Ironwill Wide, or the Silver Flame XXL. Otherwise the 3 fletch Blazer type vane will stabilize most heads just fine. The drawback to the 2 inch Blazer style is a noise. Any 2 inch vane will be loud. You can decrease noise by using a longer lower profile vane. Popular examples are the Bohning Heat Vane, AAE Max Stealth and the Flex Fletch Silent Knight. These vanes are quiet yet they lose stability. Popular configurations are to run them in a 4 fletch. Most common is probably a 1 degree straight offset. There are even smaller vanes like the AAE Hybrid 2.3. These are typically reserved for mechanical heads and take a more aggressive offset to work effectively. John Dudley was previously running 4 fletch Max Stealths at 1 degree offset. When he switched to the 2.3 he changed to a 2.5 degree helical. You can really get into the weeds and do crazy things like 6 fletch but I won't cover that due to an excellent article here on Rokslide that explains it. You really need to pay attention to the manufacturer recommendations for vane adherence. AAE, and Tac require priming pens as well as cleaning wipes for their vanes to adhere properly. Also if you nock index you need to invest in a TM or Zenith upgrade nock receiver for your Bitzenburger jig. I'll drop a video below to get you started.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've tried a lot of different vanes over the years and every time I came right back to my 2" Quickspin Speed Hunters. Blazers work fine, but my QS's were just better........and most all of my shooting is long range. My problem is that QS's have really gone down in quality so I've transitioned more over to Q2i Fusion Xii vanes. I've been using their 2.1" in a 4-fletch which has been very comparable to the performance of my QS's.

But in the end........it's all about trial and error.......test, test, test. The plus side of that is that you get a whole lot of long range shooting in.(y) The downside is a whole lot of fletching arrows with different vanes. But it's all good.

TheViking

WKR
I’ve tested a ton and it really depends on what YOUR setup likes. Last year I ran 4 fletch Bohning Heat vanes, I shot missiles out to 80. Downside to those it they didn’t steer larger fixed blades well. I shot all mechanicals last year. This year I went back to shooting larger fixed heads (still testing) but I’ve played around with the new TAC vanes in a 3 and 4 fletch, Easton Bully Boattail Vanes in a 4 fletch. These all shot pretty well, and then I tested a 3 fletch Q2i Fusion II with good helical and they are money! Honestly different setups like different things. You need to test to find out what’s best.

This was my 60 yard group last night.
95c4d3eac3beb9427581a4b4d230822c.jpg

OR Archer

WKR
What ever vane you decide on make sure you use the proper glue for that vane. Not all vanes require the same type of glue or even prep work so save yourself some headache and research the proper glue and prep for the vane you are using.
And since you are going to be doing your own fletching you can always buy small packs of vanes and do up 3 arrows at a time to test. You can do 4 different configurations with a dozen shafts to help decide which shoots best for you. Then you can strip the rest and redo them in the fletch configuration that worked best.

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
I have been running pine ridge nitro's in a 4-fletch for about a year now. They are quiet and steer the broadheads I use, extremely well (RamCats, QAD,). I have shot them 60 yards with someone standing to the side at 20-30 and they were totally silent. My only issue is their memory, meaning if they pass through a target or get laid on too hard and bend they stay that way. I don't like having crumpled up vanes, albeit they shoot well still.

I recently started shooting some 2.75'' TAC Drivers, and they seem to shoot the same as these nitro's but with a hilariously improved memory. I ordered some 3.75'' Drivers earlier, so I will see how they are, compared to the others.

You can basically pick a venn diagram of Quiet-Drag (for how well they steer BH) and memory. Find the ones that work best for your set up and send it. May take a few set-ups until you find the one you want. I ran about a half dozen or so.

Norm555

WKR
I bought an arizona ez-fletch but it was not nearly as precise as I was hoping. Then I bought a bitzenburger and am much happier with the precision.