Fletching Question

Duuane

FNG
I’m changing my arrow setup for 2022. I’m going back to 125 grain cut on impact heads, and switching from maxima reds to 6mm FMJ. I have a 27” draw at 60 pounds. My bare shaft arrows spin counter clockwise off my string. I plan to buy pre cut arrows and fletch them with left offset blazer vanes. Does that make sense, or should I just buy fully complete arrows with the straight fletch when I buy them? I tend to overthink things and outsmarting myself.

You want the fletching to induce some rotation on a hunting arrow, so don't go with straight fletching. Right or left offset/helical doesn't matter unless you're shooting single bevel broadheads, in which you case you do want the bevel direction and fletching direction to match.

Buy bare shaft and fletch them yourself. I like my fmj’s but I shoot the 5mm instead. With that said, I’m actually switching everything over to 5mm axis. At least for my longbow. I shoot Easton Hexx arrows off my compound.

Reactions: Zac

7-Pointers

Lil-Rokslider
IMHO, you're thinking right. My bare shafts also naturally spin left out of the bow and I fletch with left twist as well for hunting, so less energy goes into getting the arrow spinning. Agreed that you definitely want spin with broadheads.

OP
D

Duuane

FNG
Thanks for the info. It seems that I can order bare shafts, or I can order fletched arrows cut to length with or without inserts. I don't own a cutter, so bare shafts might not work. I think if I order fletched cut arrows, I'll have to strip the fletching and re-fletch with an offset. I guess I'll just have to figure it out.

Scrappy

WKR
Lancaster has always cut my bare shafts with no problems.

Yooper

WKR
Try South Shore Archery. I have all the tools to cut, square, fletch, etc. my own arrows and for the money and time I'd still buy assembled shafts from Jerry there. I just ordered a dozen RIP TKO Elites and had them cut, squared and inserts installed for just a little more than I would have to pay if I bought all the components and did them myself. Bonus was they all came with the spine marked.

mortskee

FNG
buying precut arrows works, i would also buy an arrow squaring device to make sure they are perfect

Zac

WKR
Doesn't matter. Factory fletching is not straight. It's offset 1 degree, which is just fine for Blazers. Your not going to be able to fletch any better than the factory machine. Also if your using a Bitz then you are indexing all of your vanes at different degrees around the shaft unless you have an aftermarket knob.