Fletching/wrap questions and concerns

whitetail88arch

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking at some white one stringer wraps 5” for my 280 FMJ Injexions to get a better look at blood (one of the many reasons I despise maxima reds)and since I’ve had terrible luck with the nocturnal lighted nocks. (Walls around the battery are so thin cause the micro diameter) So with being newer to wraps what is a good glue to use with onestringer wraps? I currently use loctite control gel & Blazers on the bare shaft FMJs. Can I stay with this glue? Would a primer pen be a good edition? If so which one? And has everyone had good luck with blazers and one stringer wraps? Another question! Let’s say I lose a vane from clearance issues or something or shoot it off. Do I completely remove the wrap and replace all three fletchings or is there a good way to get the glue off without stripping the wrap? Also should i try to fletch the base of the vane on the wrap seam or avoid putting a wrap seam? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanCmns

WKR
As far as glue the only issue I've had was when I started running AAE vanes I didnt get the primer pen and I could peel them by hand blazers are fine I clean them with rubbing alcohol first though also clean the shaft with alcohol before putting the wrap on as far as replacing 1 fletch good luck I just peel the whole wrap and refletch the arrow best thing about wraps is not having to scrape glue off the carbon it's much easier IMO.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

nexus

FNG
The Loctite will work great on the wrap and vane combination. I'm sure there are guys that try and replace a vane at a time but I always redo the entire fletching - new wrap and vanes. I try an align the seam with the spine of the arrow, but have not really ever seen a dramatic impact either way.

TravisIN

WKR
You should be fine with that glue. Personally prefer the aae system. Not saying it’s the best but personally have had the best luck with it. I buyball my wraps off eBay. The seller is schlem7. His prices are great and when you buy 12 you usually get 13-15 of them which is cool. I go all white, like your talking about, just for the ease of seeing blood. Another huge perk to wraps is being able to clean them off the shaft and refletch. Much easier for me to get all of a wrap off rather than trying to get glue off the shaft.
2cd61ae8d65960de8b1a9793311b5e72.jpg
5faae67e27dde01969e288b8ce8ac604.jpg

This may be a bit more than what you asked, but I hope it helps you make the decision. I typically use Q2i Vanes when using vanes, so here is my process:

1) wrap arrow. Don’t forget that the arrow needs to be clean before wrapping. Don’t touch the spot where you’ll wrap. Your skin oils might cause issue with the glue from the wrap.
2) clean the bases of the three/four fletches for that arrow with acetone
3) get cotton pad and put some acetone on it
4) quickly wipe wrap with acetone WITH NOCK REMOVED. Acetone can and will ruin certain nocks, so never use acetone with the mock installed.
5) glue with gorilla glue super glue (the light blue cap). Been using this glue for years and have tried loctite and a few others, but none have worked as well as the gorilla SG.
6) “Tip and tail” the vanes with glue. That just means put a SMALL bead of glue at the front and back of every cane where the arrow and base connect.

For your scenario, I’d call Onestringer and ask what kind of vinyl they use and whether or not a quick acetone prep will cause the wrap to bubble.

I’ve had my wife cut all my wraps for a couple years since she got this machine made specifically for vinyl, since that is all wraps are. When I prepped with acetone like I usually do, I used a bit too much and the wrap bubbled up in spots. Now I know to be very quick and very sparse with the acetone so that doesn’t happen. Once you have a clean grease-free surface on the wrap and fletch, they should bond very very well. I’ve shot straight through bag targets and my arrows came out the other side with just some wrinkle to the vanes and no separation.

What are you guys doing got peel the wraps off mine seem to hang on like their life depended on it not all bad but I have to scrape them off they never just peel

What are you guys doing got peel the wraps off mine seem to hang on like their life depended on it not all bad but I have to scrape them off they never just peel

Hot water in a pot dunk the wrap for.about 20sec pull.it out and should peel off

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Sharp Razor blade works. Low angle to the shaft slices it right off without putting a mark on the carbon.

*zap*

WKR
I clean with denatured alcohol and use Saunders NPV arrow mate cement. Keeps fletching's on and removes with no trouble for re-fletching.

fatlander

WKR
I use reflective white wraps. I also hit the wrap very lightly with 220 grit sandpaper to give the glue a little more to adhere to. Then I glue my blazers on with whatever super glue is the cheapest at the time I buy it. Right now I’m using the gold tip glue. Never have any issues that way.

OP
whitetail88arch

whitetail88arch

Lil-Rokslider
From the nick throat to the back of the Vane what is he distance for you guys? I’m lining up the back of the vane with the third 1/8” mark on my Bitz but since I have injexions nock is a little shorter than most nocks