Flex Rating

What flex rating should I be looking for as an elk hunter in Colorado? I’m thinking a cross between a 3 and 4? Is 4 too stiff? Any recommendations are helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildcat33

WKR
Schees is the only boot company I’ve seen that publishes a flex rating, which is nice. What’s a 3, 4 in your thinking?

my opinion is most hunting boots are way too stiff. Depends on season and terrain though.

CO-AJ

WKR
I too have wondered about this. Crispi does publish a flex rating, but what is it comparable to? If a tennis shoe is a 1 and a hiking shoe is a 2, then would a lightweight hiking boot be a 3 or maybe 4? What is the max number for stiffness? I am looking to replace my Asolo Fugitive GTX so would the Crispi Thor, or the Wyoming boot be an equivalent? What about the Solomon GTX? I will likely end up ignoring stiffness and go for fit/comfort. Although I think if you are in rockier terrain a stiffer boot will last longer.

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
All stiffness scales are not created equal. If i was to have a scale of 1-5, 1 being a tennis shoe, 5 being a 2x4 mountain boot, I would personally look at something in the 2.5-3 flex rating range. I run Salewa Mtn Trainers, and i would say they're about the perfect 2.5 flex for me. I think boot flex is very subjective also. Some people like a stiffer sole, but a soft upper like the Crispi Thor. The Thor might technically be more stiff than a crispi Nevada at a flex 3, but in my experience the nevada feels more stiff due to being a full leather boot. Go with the most well rounded boot that still lets your feet flex and bend, but provides enough support to where you don't feel like you'll hurt your feet. If you don't have weak ankles and have tough feet, get something like a lapponia.

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
I think it really depends on personal preference and how you hunt. There isn't any "perfect" flex rating for elk hunting.

I wore lightweight boots or even Merrels for years and was happy but then ordered a pair of boots that ended up being much stiffer then I expected and really liked them. Since then I've been running very stiff boots and would never go back. Much less leg and foot fatigue for me.

Guys I hunt with have tried stiffer boots and ended up going back to something with more flex. No right or wrong answer, you can kill elk with either.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk