Flies for Springtime Montana Lakes & Learning More About Insects

treillw

WKR
Went on a little fishing/camping trip this weekend to a reservoir - big chunk of water, 4200' in elevation, out on the prairie. Didn't catch anything. Tried everything that made sense to me - flies and even broke out the spinning rod a bit. I would say that the fishing just isn't good this time of year, but there were two other guys nearby that were slaying them. They were both fly fishing. Clearly there is something going on in the lakes this time of year that I'm not aware of. What flies could they have been using? What are the fish feeding on now? I was going to talk to them, but they left.

Any other good forums for this?

I would like to learn more about the science of fly fishing, beyond knowing this fly works here at this time of year. How can I begin that journey?

Thanks!

JeffP_Or

WKR
We're having trouble getting to lakes at that elevation around here - glad you were able to get out!
Depending on watertemps and sunlight, chironomids and balanced leeches are often a good early season, cold temp option - fished under indicators. As temps stats to rise and fish get more active - especially if the lake freezes over, I start chucking meat [larger streamers/buggers] because, like spring bears, they want a feast. Until I see bugs on the surface and fish chasing them - I use sink or sink-tip lines to get down.
Might try getting into a club or organization and doing some conservation projects with like-minded individuals. I started by just hanging out at fly shops when they did tying demonstrations or similar presentations - or just asking questions on slow days. I also tied flies before I ever fly fished but that is another story.
Good luck!

EDIT: should also look at where you were fishing vs. where they were fishing - depth, wind and other factors can alter where early fish spend their time. Were the other guys over a rock hump that maybe had some solar warming relative to colder deeper water? Grass bed that held pre-emergent nymphs? Lakes can be finicky that way.

WCB

WKR
streamers...just a good ol' wooly bugger or similar. I was fishing two weeks ago in MT...although a private reservoir the fish were not really feeding on top but sipping emerger patterns or just subsurface. Spinners and other things werent working but the trusty black or white wooly hooked 4 in as many casts.

Youtube can be your friend. A good channel is Red's Fly Shop. They do through everything from gear selection, rowing, flies, techniques (dry, nymph, streamer, etc. )

BuzzH

WKR
Teeny nympth in size 8, 10, 12 insect green, black and natural pheasant tail colors are best. Either stripped with a fly rod or behind a casting bubble about 6-7 feet behind it. Vary how fast you strip/retrieve...sometimes they hit them better on the drop.

0128170826.jpg

Marabou jigs this time of year might be worth a try...I hear good things:

IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_1027.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG

Did you try scuds? Dig around in the underwater vegetation and see if there are any. I’ve had good luck with them. Also consider Caddis, Baetis and Midge imitations.

Last edited:

Mt Al

WKR
I'm not an expert, but the above advice is sound. "Mother's Day Caddis Hatch" is a phrase that you'll hear quite often and it works well around that timeframe. Check local fishing reports from fly shops and, frankly, just get out there. You learn more on every trip. Lakes vs. streams can be night and day on what they're biting. I've been adding more droppers to dry flies for the last few years and the take has gone up significantly!

I’m usually fishing streamers in spring summer and fall, but it’s amazing how much fish love a size 18 black ant. Fish it as a dry, sink it and slow strip it back, they just love it.

Mt Al

WKR
Adding mild humor: In a prior life I worked with quite a few of the Simms people. If they knew someone new to the area or new to fly fishing was going to be in a meeting they would sometimes start off with internal staff chatter "Hey, bro, how was it last weekend? Did you beat the water into a froth?" next guy says "SLAYED 'EM!!! I strung up a tapered 9 gauge line onto my Ugly Rod Pole Dancer caster rod, used an articulated dumpster diver slinky, Tee-d off with a hub cap streamer, and did a street cone dropper flasher."

It's no one's business how many times I fell for it.

Bucky44

FNG
Went on a little fishing/camping trip this weekend to a reservoir - big chunk of water, 4200' in elevation, out on the prairie. Didn't catch anything. Tried everything that made sense to me - flies and even broke out the spinning rod a bit. I would say that the fishing just isn't good this time of year, but there were two other guys nearby that were slaying them. They were both fly fishing. Clearly there is something going on in the lakes this time of year that I'm not aware of. What flies could they have been using? What are the fish feeding on now? I was going to talk to them, but they left.

Any other good forums for this?

I would like to learn more about the science of fly fishing, beyond knowing this fly works here at this time of year. How can I begin that journey?

Thanks!

Try to find a copy of "Caddisflies by Gary LaFontaine" I have been fly fishing for over 40 years averaging 90 days a year for the last 20 years. Caddisflies helped a bunch. Much larger Rainbows and Cutts.
Great Fishing

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
Ascent fly fishing is a decent resource, he's a total bug dork, think he has quite a few free videos on fishing different waters and conditions, in the past he's been pretty good about answering general questions through email or PM, I know he's grown quite a bit since I first met him so I don't know if that's still the case.

Seeknelk

WKR
Try a chronomid behind a balanced leech or scud. Can suspend with a bobber or just play with super slow retrieves. Also , leader length can be more important than anything , getting to the proper depth, I've used leader over 20 ft often.

Also, if you can see into the water, cruise around and find the fish before fishing. Super important. Sometimes , all the activity is in one bay , or drop off or whatever.
I like to try presenting woolly buggers to fish I see to gauge reactions and how aggressive they are first tho. Just cuz I don't like the super slow methods

Wingnutty

FNG
I never go wrong with a small, size 10-12 marabou leach in black or olive when fishing lakes/reservoirs. Chronomids are good too. Those two typically produce very consistently. Throw them in tandem under an indicator, sometimes deep, strip in real slow.