Flintlocking for a moose in Newfoundland

bgbuck153

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone used a flintlock for a moose in Newfoundland? We’re going in the first week of October and would love to take mine. I know the rain is an issue both on the island and with a flintlock. I’d be taking my 33 Nosler as well just incase the rain is just too much for the flintlock.

Squincher

WKR
Flinters are a PITA in the rain, even with a cows knee. As much as I love hunting with them, I wouldn't bet an out of state (or country) trip on one in wet weather. I think taking your CF rifle along is a smart plan.

It will sure as heck get the job done. Kind of depends on the nature of your hunt. If based out of a cabin or situation where the cf is at least a daily option why not? You can decide each day which to bring depending on weather, game density, and what day of the hunt you are in. Good luck and take lots of pics!

OP
B

bgbuck153

Lil-Rokslider
That’s my plan runningwater to pick and choose which day to use it. I just need to decide on a bullet to use. I have a TC Hawkin that loves sabots. I’ve never shot a big conical out if it but my buddy has 320 ones that I might try

Last edited:

FLATHEAD

WKR
That’s my plan runningwater to pick and choose which day to use it. I just need to decide on a bullet to use. I have a TC Hawkin that loves sabots. I’ve never shit a big conical out if it but my buddy has 320 ones that I might try
LMAO!!!!!

dugedug

FNG
What's is your twist rate on the TC Hawkin? You most likely won't be able to shoot PRBs so you would be looking at REAL or Great Plains bullets. You've got time to try a few things out to see what works the best and what the numbers are assuming you have a chrono. I just built a Kibler Colonial Long rifle in .54 and will be working on a Track of the Wolf Jaeger next but both will be PRB and taking Elk. Muzzleloadingforum and Americanlongrifles forum might have a bit more knowledge on traditional ML hunting.

OP
B

bgbuck153

Lil-Rokslider
1:48 twist
It shoots round balls too but I’m not a fan of round balls. I’m gonna try some 300+ grain conicals.

dugedug

FNG
My preference would be to go as heavy as you can and adjust powder to find the nice spot between a consistent high muzzle velocity and grouping. I know I've seen a few posts on Moose and Buffalo on the other forums and if memory serves a majority were all running heavies, towards 400gr. Wish I had more experience to help you out. Good luck!!! (and post pics when your successful)