Flip Flop Recoil PAd

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
Ive been reading several of the Flip Flop recoil pad threads... Question, what kind of epoxy tips can you give to hold it in place? Do you set a piece of wood in there first ? is it only epoxied? or do you run a screw also?

I cut down a Ruger american and could use the old screw holes but think a screw would likely go right through the pad.

Decker9

WKR
I put a flip flop on my wildcat stock (5 1/2 lb tikka 6.5 swede). Pretty hokey and looks like crap, but it does the trick. I just devcon epoxied it to the stock, (same epoxy as I use for bedding) I hollowed out the foam in the butt just a tad, 1/8” deep or so and filled with devcon, it’s going on 3-4 years with no issue. Also no issue with the mild recoil of the swede. I woulnt want to use one on a light magnum though.

96C1F4A0-818A-45DF-ADB0-3D2DE1DCCD76.jpeg
EE016369-CB5D-4B1D-AB11-11967BFFA4C8.jpeg0E1A415D-7A90-4C73-AB48-C1D115C6C858.jpeg

OP
E

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
did you epoxy right to the end of the stock?

with my stock being hollow, i think ill set a piece of wood in there and then maybe leave 1/4 inch or or so between it and the end. fill that with epox. may trim the flip flop so a 1/4 inch goes inside the stock.

Decker9

WKR
I did epoxy right to the stock yeah. There is a hard foam in the butt of my wildcat, with a hollow butt, certainly makes it more difficult. I dont see why a fitted piece of wood wouldn’t work. With the right epoxy and a prepped flip flop (scuffed up a bit then cleaned), I think it would hold up. Nice thing about a flip flop, their cheap and easy to replace.

Trackselk

WKR
Would you guys recommend the flip flop for a 5lb all in 6.5CM? Probably ouch i'm guessing?
I know my 6lb .308 with the pachmayr pad (kimber MA) is not fun to shoot by any means, but its not a target rifle...

Last edited:

Trackselk

WKR
They are actually quite effective. Another option would be an ultralight microcell pad.
Thanks, I can't remember what options MPI had, but I definitely don't want an extra 5 ounces for a minor improvement! I think they mentioned micro cell

83cj-7

WKR
I didn’t know anyone was else did this. I’ve done a half dozen or so and they actually work great at reducing felt recoil. I glued mine on with Acra-glass gel when doing the stock builds. Most of mine have been on Bansner 80% stocks.

Had to replace one that got tore up. No biggie, just sanded it off with a belt sander and glued another on.

Trackselk

WKR
I didn’t know anyone was else did this. I’ve done a half dozen or so and they actually work great at reducing felt recoil. I glued mine on with Acra-glass gel when doing the stock builds. Most of mine have been on Bansner 80% stocks.

Had to replace one that got tore up. No biggie, just sanded it off with a belt sander and glued another on.
Just to clarify, you're referring to the micro cell or the flip flop?

I've migrated to microcell pads because I prefer grinding the pads before putting them on the stock now. If you glue it first, the the flip flop like decker shows above works great. If your stock is hollow, I'd put some spray foam in it first, then sand that down flush so you get a lot of surface for epoxy bonding.

Acraglass, jbweld, devcon, even 5 min epo y, I've used them all and they all work just fine.

Get a large enough pair of flip-flops and you will get at least 4 pads from them.

Macintosh

WKR
Agree on the microcell pads, Im a big fan. I actually weighed some just now, an unground 1/2” was just over 1 ounce and a ground .8” was just under 2oz. The 1/2” ground rubber pad I compared it to was just under 4oz, and a 1” decelerator pad was almost 7 oz. So these are roughly 1/4 the weight of a standard pad, or less. mega-light rifles are not my speed, but I could see going with a flip flop if you are shaving every ounce to get something stupidly light, but for a “normal” light weight build the microcell pads still weigh far less than a normal rubber pad, are quite good absorbing recoil and still give you a hard base for mounting.