Float hunt Alaska for moose gear

boliver29

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at ultralight tarps on to cover meet,one for camp and one for glassing. Been looking at aqua quest any suggestions trying to keep weight down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
I know it's not in the ultra-light category, but the classic blue-tarp is what I use for meat...I think it's the 8x10. It's not that super heavy, always gets blood all over it, rinses off pretty well in the river/lake, and if I have to shit-can it in a few years I don't cry because they aren't crazy expensive. We always have a couple of those with us on a moose hunt for meat (and gear)...blue-tarps are a very common sight in Alaska!

For glassing out of the rain I use a SO DST.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I know it's not in the ultra-light category, but the classic blue-tarp is what I use for meat...I think it's the 8x10. It's not that super heavy, always gets blood all over it, rinses off pretty well in the river/lake, and if I have to shit-can it in a few years I don't cry because they aren't crazy expensive. We always have a couple of those with us on a moose hunt for meat (and gear)...blue-tarps are a very common sight in Alaska!

For glassing out of the rain I use a SO DST.

That was going to be my suggestion too. A regular tarp.

mcseal2

WKR
I used an 8x10 Equinox tarp last hunt for meat. I wished I had a little larger one once we had 3 caribou under it.

For camp we had a Seek 10x10 Colorado tarp for our cooking area. I carried a DST while hunting. Another guy had a DST too when we split up.

DST is a really versatile tarp.

When I want lighter I have a Kifaru Sheep Tarp and recently spent to much on a 8.5x8.5 cuben fiber tarp. I like square tarps feel like its a potential life saving item to have. Lighter it is, more chance I’m carrying it when I need it.

For setting meat on I would use nothing but the normal regular blue tarps or one that’s a bit heavier duty.

for covering meat and whatever else around camp, SO Colorado has been the ticket.

for glassing the kifaru sheep tarp has been perfect.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
tyvek is ultralight and strong for lightweight needs
I'm in the tyvek camp as well. they are much lighter than the blue tarps but I still bring one big blue tarp for over my shelter because they grommets are just stronger. They'll still rip usually by the end but they have held up better than the tyvek grommets in my experience.

We bring a brown/green variety tarp that we use for shade for meat and butchering then i got some amazon special silitarp that's fairly light weight and set it up for glassing under if it's raining. It float hunting I would just rock the brown/green tarps. Mich cheaper route and wont feel bad for putting a hole in them

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
boliver29

boliver29

Lil-Rokslider
Went with some good ole harbor freight tarps thanks for all the advice

Been following. Thinking about one high dollar tarp for shelter while glassing. But, I’d still have a big heavy duty with me for cleaning animal. So What good does that weight / space savings do me? I guess the heavy duty would be a pain to make a shelter out of. And since the high dollar weighs nothing and eats almost no space it might still have a purpose

What kind of life expectancy are you guys with nice lightweight tarps getting? I'm considering one as well, but don't want to spend $100 to ruin it after placing the first moose quarter on it? TIA

I used an ultralight tarp off of Amazon for my moose hunt. It cost about $25 for a light weight tarp with tie out tabs all over it. We made it the roof for our meat cache, but I considered it disposable and wouldn't have hesitated to put meat directly on it. After 2 weeks of wind and weather, it had a single hole in it about an inch wide, that I patched with Tenacious Tape.

I save the expensive glassing tarp for just that or emergency shelter.