Float hunt Alaska waders question

boliver29

Lil-Rokslider
I got simms waders. What socks are you guys wearing. I bought darn tough socks. I thought I read on hear somewhere to wear liners and aqua socks or something. Let me have any advice ya got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wear my darn tough’s under them whether I’m fishing or on a moose hunt. Only time I’ve had issues is hiking across a river to go sit and glass when it’s 30 degrees, my feet sweat on the way there then the cold water in my boots doesn’t take long to make my feet freezing cold. I could pull them off and put warmer socks on as I always wear the lightweight darn tough’s.

I wear mid weight wool socks. I bring 3 pairs of socks on hunts to make sure I have a dry pair every morning. Throw the sweaty ones at the bottom of your sleeping bag and they should be dry by morning or the next afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Don’t over think it or over pay for the socks that you wear under your waders. You got the best waders on the market, and assuming they’re stocking foot, just get a package or two of the heavier wt. Costco socks and call it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Agree, don’t over think it but plan for the conditions. This year I wore kenetrek Alaskans under my waders for our float hunt. I was glad I did, the weather was cold and wet, I spent a lot of time out of the raft with my feet in the water dragging. Also had to basically sleep out in the open once so I was glad to have a warm sock. Those kuiu wool ones are another pair ive used. I like darn tough but I’ve never tried any of their thicket options so I can’t speak to that.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Excellent suggestions made by others and I agree....go with wool, bring several pair, change-out daily and dry at nite in your bag, and no need to bust the budget for socks you'll be wearing under quality waders on a float hunt...mountain hunts are a different story!

Dependent upon the dates of your hunt, I do suggest that you bring a mix of mid and heavy-wt. For example, on a 14-day mid to late September hunt in waders, I bring four pair (two mid and two heavy). That always covers it, and I'm good to go.

Edit: I also bring a pair of liner socks and very lite down sock/booties without soles, both of which I often wear at nite in my bag.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like to wear a bit heavier sock than I think I’ll need. There’s this thing where when my feet get cold they actually feel wet. I was on a trip last year and I was sure my waders had a leak in them. When we set up camp I got out of the waders and my feet were dry, just really really cold.

Johnboy

WKR
I highly recommend having some waterproof socks with you (I have THESE). The neoprene feet in your waders can get sweated out, and they're not the easiest thing to dry out. Wet feet are cold feet. Throwing on a pair of waterproof socks has been a major comfort upgrade for me on a number of occasions.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I highly recommend having some waterproof socks with you (I have THESE). The neoprene feet in your waders can get sweated out, and they're not the easiest thing to dry out. Wet feet are cold feet. Throwing on a pair of waterproof socks has been a major comfort upgrade for me on a number of occasions.

Not only that but a neoprene sock can keep a regular sock dry inside a wet boot when you are just cruising around camp and don’t want to wear your waders. Last season I took a pair of Simms neoprene socks, they helped fill the volume and keep. My feet dry with wading boots on. It was great and it saved me packing another pair of boots/shoes.

Johnboy

WKR
Not only that but a neoprene sock can keep a regular sock dry inside a wet boot when you are just cruising around camp and don’t want to wear your waders. Last season I took a pair of Simms neoprene socks, they helped fill the volume and keep. My feet dry with wading boots on. It was great and it saved me packing another pair of boots/shoes.
Funny you mention that. I just placed an order for the Simms Guide Guard Socks. Looking forward to using my wader boots without having to wear my waders. It's a nice break from having to wear waders on a float hunt.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Funny you mention that. I just placed an order for the Simms Guide Guard Socks. Looking forward to using my wader boots without having to wear my waders. It's a nice break from having to wear waders on a float hunt.

It worked well, I like the Simms g3 boots, those are my go to. It is really nice to be able to take a walk without putting on waders.

Clarktar

WKR
It worked well, I like the Simms g3 boots, those are my go to. It is really nice to be able to take a walk without putting on waders.
When I wet wade I usually wear a thin neoprene sock (1 or 2mm from NRS) then wear the Simms wading sock over that. Works really well as far as boot fit.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
When I wet wade I usually wear a thin neoprene sock (1 or 2mm from NRS) then wear the Simms wading sock over that. Works really well as far as boot fit.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

NRS makes a bunch of stuff that is surprisingly useful for moose hunting. Great company.

Yep.

I’m sold!