Floored vs. floorless shelter

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
Can someone explain to me the advantages of having a floorless tent besides being lighter to backpack in? It just puzzles me because I feel that a floorless design would just be a pain. Getting all the leaves and dirt and pine needles in all your stuff. I could be wrong, but I’ve never camped out of one and never talked to anyone who has so I’m clueless (go figure).

Thanks,

KJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
Condensation and stoves are the biggest boosts to floorless shelters in my opinion

The dirt, duff, and bugs are going to find their way in regardless of shelter type.

I’ll take floorless every time after using both. Like the previous post mentioned, dirt and is gonna get in regardless. It’s really nice being able to sit down with my boots on, cook with no fear of burning a hole in the floor or poking holes through it with a stick. I really enjoy the floorless myself.

there are times i love floorless and times i hate it and that mostly has to do with rain. if the ground is wet/muddy i hate it. it just means everything is wet and muddy. there are times i want to be fully enclosed including the ground. That being said having a piece of tyvek cut to the right size that you can stake out, inside the floorless shelter helps. i have piece i put little gromets on the corners so i can stake it out.... it makes a huge difference in just keeping gear clean and dry.

VernAK

WKR
My Roben Fairbanks is half and half.......another feature that American tipi builders might consider. The Fairbanks is not intended to be a lightweight backpacking tent. I use it on extended canoe trips because of the quick setup and the lack of condensation with this type of material along with peak vent......a very well thought out design that others need to pickup on. My wet gear stays in floorless area and I sleep behind netting in floored area.

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
Floorless by a long shot. Very convenient in my opinion. Also I guess I'm a hillbilly because I don't mind the dirt and mud from being outside getting on some of my stuff. Probably will never buy a regular tent again.

RyDog450r

FNG
I had good luck with a floored 6moondesign skyscape trekker but did have some condensation on a drizzly night. Without a tyvek ground cloth a floor less on the wet ground wouldn’t have been fun but y’all have me thinking about it now...

K

Kootenay Hunter

Floored. Don't like sleeping in mud or puddles if it's wet. Also like to keep mice/rodents out of my stuff among other things I like about a floor. My tent also allows me to set up the fly with the poles and ground sheet, sort of a floored/floorless hybrid.

I'm not sure what the 'hassle' is about a floored tent versus floorless. I can set up my tent in a couple of minutes, never considered it a hassle.

I'm curious to see if anyone has a video of a set up race between a tipi tent set up and a traditional two-person backpacking tent.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love floorless shelters for the increased space to weight ratio, and bc it’s great to be able to come in muddy or bloody and not have to worry about taking everything off outside.

I also prefer to sleep in a bugproof area with a floor. The solution for us has been a 2 person “nest” with bathtub floor. Minimal weight penalty, and still keeps most of the footprint floorless.

Here’s an example, this is our SO Cimmaron with a 2 man nest.

I love floorless shelters for the increased space to weight ratio, and bc it’s great to be able to come in muddy or bloody and not have to worry about taking everything off outside.

I also prefer to sleep in a bugproof area with a floor. The solution for us has been a 2 person “nest” with bathtub floor. Minimal weight penalty, and still keeps most of the footprint floorless.

I run a similar setup and also have ultra light bug bivies I use to contain my sleep system and gives me a waterproof floor. Works great. The two person nest is great because it gives you a “floored” tent basically but with the half still floorless you can go in with your boots on and run a stove. Very versatile.

plus ,when you are "more mature" and it is snowing outside ,you can just roll over ,do your duty and be done with it, (course that could be a whole new thread!) can't do that in my hille...

*zap*

WKR

I would like to try something like that...I wonder how a small 1-2 man tent without the fly would work in place of the nest?

HighVoltageHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have used both and prefer a floored shelter with a generous vestibule for my wet gear and cooking.
Where I hunt there are a lot of bugs (mosquitoes and meat bees) and rodents.
Little to no condensation with my fly.
If you have the budget, want to cut weight on a floored shelter and don’t want to deal with tent poles look at a Dyneema Tent from Tarptent or others.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would like to try something like that...I wonder how a small 1-2 man tent without the fly would work in place of the nest?

Depending on the shape it might be ok. The beauty of the pyramid shaped nest is you can set it up anywhere under the floor less shelter with stakes for the 4 corners, and a single attachment point at the top. We frequently pitch our floor less shelters with 2 trekking poles instead of a center pole, and use a piece of paracord and a small caribiner to clip the top of the nest to the loop on the trekking pole handle. I've also tied them to regular center poles over the push button. I could see it being tough finding enough top attachment points for a traditional dome style tent, but the only way to say for sure would be to try it out.

rhusby28

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re sleeping one per shelter and don’t want to run a stove then a Tarptent or some of the Sixmoon Design shelters are the perfect combination. With two people to split up the gear a tarp and a stove is awesome when the temperature drops.