Floorless Mid Shootout

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
At some point Josh (maybe when your all finished with the testing), could you post the weights of each one with its required stakes, guy lines, designated pole and after they have been seam sealed? I think it would be interesting to see what each of them weigh with everything required when taking them into the field.

That's the plan. The final review will have everything weighed as a fully functional setup as well as the minimalist setup with the differences described.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Looks like it's going to be a badass review Josh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is interesting, I didn't realize that SO did not provide guy out points on the corners. One of my biggest concerns with any shelter is its ability to withstand very strong winds, do you think you will have the opportunity to test the shelters in high wind conditions?

I received my Cimarron a few weeks ago and had them add corner guy outs. They look just like the center ones.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That is interesting, I didn't realize that SO did not provide guy out points on the corners. One of my biggest concerns with any shelter is its ability to withstand very strong winds, do you think you will have the opportunity to test the shelters in high wind conditions?

I had a Cimarron up on the backside of a windy ridge last year and the wind really whipped on things at night (some trees fell, etc.), initially I had it elevated but the wind was going under and I was worried about it catching like a kite so I sucked it down to the ground. It billowed some but held up fine with the perimeter stakes and two end guy out points. I admit the first night I was concerned about it but relaxed a bit more on subsequent nights (all with strong wind). So what they have is sufficient but if ordering from scratch I probably would in inclined to see if they could add some more points "just in case".

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I can speak to the Cimarron. Had that on the back of a ridge last year for a few nights where the wind really would kick up at night (some trees fell). At first I had it elevated pitched but when the wind started winding up I was afraid of it getting under the edge and turning it into a kite so I sucked in down low. After that it held up fine. I was nervous the first night listening to the wind pound on it (and howl) but it stayed standing there for 4nights of it. The 4th night we were actually down at the trailhead (tent still on the ridge) and if sounded like the worst night for wind yet, we were wonder if we were going to see our remaining gear scattered around that morning when we got up there but were greeted to it standing there just fine still. That is using the perimeter stake points and the two end guy outs, all with linelocs to put adjustable tension on everything.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I have had my cimarron in high winds, I kept the edges sucked down to the ground and it held fine. Elevated pitch was catching the wind and it worried me.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I've had a Cimarron in pretty strong winds (trees falling) and it held up fine. I made sure to suck it down to the ground to avoid wind catching under the edge. Was a little nervous listening to the wind but developed a comfort level in the end when it was still there in the morning. :p

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Two of the shelters in the test do not have stove jacks but the Seek Outside Cimarron and the Kifaru Tut both have one. The closures on each are executed a little differently. Here are a couple of photos with the jack closed. I'll snap a few photos of them with a pipe installed at some point during the testing.

Kifaru Tut:

_1030123.jpg

Seek Outside Cimarron:

_1030127.jpg

Last edited:

blackdawg

WKR
Could you also test with a liner on the single wall shelters, to condensate or not is the question.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
My spring bear season is winding down and I am getting to know these new shelters fairly well. There are some interesting differences in them and hopefully the shootout will help people decide which will meet their needs.

Stay tuned for more to come.

3755AF6A-030D-4670-B67F-0FF4594A10E9.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
One more tease before I start getting this shootout written up.....:D

E2A45741-47E2-45D1-A0CE-A9F45A6902C1.jpg

Last edited:

MT_Wyatt

WKR
X2 for pressure. Josh I'm buying a shelter this month as well, very interested to hear your thoughts.

Subscribed. And I'm not buying anything til next year. So a little less pressure.

By the way. Thank you for doing this review. It's guys, and gals, like you that make Rokslide what it is.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited: