Floorless Mid Shootout

With spring here it is time to get this rolling. I've started using and collecting information on a group of floorless pyramid style shelters. The idea is to compare a few of the more well know shelters in hunting circles with a few lesser talked about options available. The plan is to compare features, specializations, quality, and overall back country usability. I've used a floorless mid for years and definitely know the limitations and benefits. Hopefully this shootout will help a few hunters choose a shelter that is right for their style of hunting.

attachment.php

The shelters in the shootout are:

Seek Outside Cimarron with a stove jack.

attachment.php

Kifaru Tut with a stove jack.

attachment.php

Mountain Laurel Designs Supermid.

attachment.php

Black Diamond Mega Light.

attachment.php

Over the next 2 months I will update this thread with images and information as the shootout unfolds. Please ask questions and offer ideas as to what you would like to read about. Subscribe using the thread tools and get automatic updates when new info is posted. When everything is wrapped up I will provide a full review with my take on these shelters.

If you want to be notified of updates, click on Thread Tools at top of post to subscribe.
-Josh Boyd

Link to full review: Review: Floorless Pyramid Shootout

Thank you for this article! I am currently looking for a Cimarron bit of course waited last minute and am having trouble finding one.

KRoch

FNG
A suggestion I would talk to Aron Snyder and add the kifaru sawtooth in this shootout I’m from BC Canada and have nothing but positive things to say about it. It is the only floor less back packing tent I have used all wall tents before that.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
A suggestion I would talk to Aron Snyder and add the kifaru sawtooth in this shootout I’m from BC Canada and have nothing but positive things to say about it. It is the only floor less back packing tent I have used all wall tents before that.
That's not a mid so wouldn't compare well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Great write up and conversation. Going to try my first floorless. Down to the Cimarron and Supermid. Primary use will be two people, gear and stove. CO elk, Alaska caribou, New Zealand tahr and others.
Anyone have experience with the Cimarron in Cuben Fiber? Saves a lot of weight but adds a lot of expense. Trying to decide if it’s worth the extra dollars.
Supermid in silnylon is pretty light as well, but every picture of it that I see it is pitched with a gap at the bottom can you get that pitched close enough to the ground to seal out any draft?
My impression of the Cimarron is the sod skirt would do a good job of sealing up next to the ground and blocking any drafts. Is that accurate?
Can you tell much difference in usable space inside the tent between the two? Can see the dimensions but hard to tell from that if in use, the size delta is significant or not.

Great write up and conversation. Going to try my first floorless. Down to the Cimarron and Supermid. Primary use will be two people, gear and stove. CO elk, Alaska caribou, New Zealand tahr and others.
Anyone have experience with the Cimarron in Cuben Fiber? Saves a lot of weight but adds a lot of expense. Trying to decide if it’s worth the extra dollars.
Supermid in silnylon is pretty light as well, but every picture of it that I see it is pitched with a gap at the bottom can you get that pitched close enough to the ground to seal out any draft?
My impression of the Cimarron is the sod skirt would do a good job of sealing up next to the ground and blocking any drafts. Is that accurate?
Can you tell much difference in usable space inside the tent between the two? Can see the dimensions but hard to tell from that if in use, the size delta is significant or not.

First off, there are several more attributes of DCF that sil doesn’t have, easy enough to do a little research to find out those attributes. The sod skirt will definitely cut down on drafts, but it will be at the expense of condensation, although a dry heat (wood heat),will go along ways to help mitigate that. Once the fire is out, and having the shelter tight to the ground, without any drafts/air movement, will create the perfect recipe for condensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is very little difference in usable space between the two shelters mentioned. The Supermid can be pitched tight to the ground to seal off drafts, but that shelter only has one entrance. After spending a bunch of time in the Cimarron, it would be hard to go back to a mid with one door. The exception being if I were hunting solo 95% of the time.

*zap*

WKR
I believe that the supermid has more mid height tie outs to pull the walls back, and you can pitch it pretty low all around or just part of it. At least I could with the duomid and solomid xl. MLD makes good shelters. Cimarron has the two door or one door option, screen option and a few more inches tall. I bet MLD could add a sod skirt if you wanted one. Talked with him a week ago and he said there is not much wait on orders right now.
MLD also has a Mondomid which is 1' bigger length and width than the supermid…..10x10 and 72" tall. 32 ounces for silnylon.

spfarr

FNG
fwiw - Bearpaw Wilderness Designs is another maker of floorless shelters. bearpawwd.com
I have one of their tarps, and it is well-made and a good value.

fwiw - I also have a Titanium Goat Vertex 6.5 tipi tent, and their medium and large ti cylinder stoves. great products, but unfortunately they are out of business, and my understanding is that Ruta Locura will not resume production of Titanium Goat tents.

CoMtnMike

FNG
Thanks for the review. Help me make a decision this spring. I am happy with my Cimarron light now that is has seen some use. Pouring rain and unbelievable wind above treeline and the kids slept fine (the vibrating walls and stove jack were a little unnerving but i slept too). I have the "light" version, so only one door and an extra guy point where the other door would be. I am undecided if the rear stove jack position is better. Probably for 2 guys and a stove, but solo and truck side I wish I could fit the short cot along the back and stove in the traditional position... But I like the weight savings without door #2 when I am carrying everything for me and 2 kids!

CO-AJ

WKR
Ben,

I have the Cim in DCF and it is an outstanding piece of gear. I use it as a solo shelter so I have TONS of room. My setup is the DCF Cim with a LBO nest, carbon fiber center pole and eventually I will add a stove. I do throw a piece of Tyvek under the nest for protection. I can set up my Helinox air chair inside and can almost stand up inside. I am 5-11. I have only taken it out 2x this year as I just got it about 6 weeks ago, they were on a substantial backorder. It is the Bentley of tents without a doubt.