Floorless Shelter for a Couple?

brn2hnt

WKR
Anyone here use a floorless shelter with a stove while hunting/backpacking with their spouse? My wife is gung ho on taking all sorts of trips, under the conditions that I get us sleeping bags that will zip together and a shelter that accommodates such with a stove as well. I was looking at the Kifaru tut, but in all of the photos I have been able to find, the sleeping arrangements make it seem like two people on one side of the stove would be iffy with a hot stove. Anyone have any experience with this or other similar shelters with stove options? Not married to a Kifaru by any means, but they are the one brand I have seen in person. Thanks and hope everyone is able to be getting out there soon!

Mike

Graves14

WKR
I love my cimarron for the wife , myself and our 2 60lb dogs. I'm sure there's room for a stove and 2 people.

mlob1one

WKR
I have had great experience with my Seek Outside LBO. There are several different configurations that could work for what you desire. I typically use the base tarp 3pv (because of how I pieces together the system) but the BTB (base tarp base) would be great & offer you a ton of room. I particularly like it because she can tend the fire and get it as toasty as she likes because it's on her side. It also shields me from the direct blast of the heat.

You may also look at different tipi setups depending on your height requirements, space wants, and weight restrictions.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
Yeah, Kifaru Sawtooth, Cylinder Stove and buy Left and Right zip Big Agnes bags. Works like a champ! You will sleep on the right side as you are looking in the shelter because it will probably be your job to tend the stove.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sawtooth or I just made this mid for a guy with the same purpose in mind so offset the stove jack so that it could be put either centered or to one side.
Sawtooth or I just made this mid for a guy with the same purpose in mind so offset the stove jack so that it could be put either centered or to one side. It's a fair amount larger than a tut.

b0074cffacae29d0447906bda24ed361.jpg
a519288ba1f3ce0b47919f4b39ae5ef3.jpg

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
My girlfriend and I use a SO Cimarron just like you describe OP and it works great, still have plenty of room for our packs and we even manage to fit an energetic german shepherd in the tent (seems like the tent is getting rather small by that point though).

My bpwd luna 6 has room for two on one side of the pole, and the stove sits on the other side as well. The pole has enough adjustment you can offset it a bit as well.

Attachments

• 20150429_183702.jpg
    20150429_183702.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 90
SO 8 man will work with 2 people on 1 side of the pole, opposite the stove, as well as plenty of room for the dog. Don't have the 6 so couldn't tell you if that would work.

R_burg

WKR
Another vote for the Sawtooth. Wife and I are both over six foot, we have plenty of room for us, gear, stove and firewood.
Hey, how does it work for you guys sitting around the stove? Any opinion on how many people it could fit in that situation?

I want to be able to sit in backpacking chairs around the fire in the shelter I end up with.

Last edited:

MTtrout

WKR
My wife and I have been using the sawtooth for 4 years now and have really enjoyed it. Plenty of room for us, our lab, stove, and gear. I would recommend getting a stove that has a flat surface for cooking on. We have cooked some fancy dinners and breakfasts and it really adds to the experience. I would also consider the accomplice, double quilt, from EE. We have uses zip together bags for years and that quilt has been far superior.

oldgoat

WKR
Hey, how does it work for you guys sitting around the stove? Any opinion on how many people it could fit in that situation?

I want to be able to sit in backpacking chairs around the fire in the shelter I end up with.

Unless it's crazy cold, you won't want to sit all that close to the stove, that sucker is hot! We just move one sleeping bag on top of the other and sit on the side where we moved the bag away from. I bought a box stove when I bought my Sawtooth and then bought a cylinder stove fairly quickly after our first season, half the weight, better burn time and I don't plan on ever cooking on the wood stove.

R_burg

WKR
Unless it's crazy cold, you won't want to sit all that close to the stove, that sucker is hot! We just move one sleeping bag on top of the other and sit on the side where we moved the bag away from. I bought a box stove when I bought my Sawtooth and then bought a cylinder stove fairly quickly after our first season, half the weight, better burn time and I don't plan on ever cooking on the wood stove.
Thanks.

How many people could you fit? Would 4 be too tight? Sitting around it I mean. I only plan on sleep 2, maybe 3.

oldgoat

WKR
Thanks.

How many people could you fit? Would 4 be too tight? Sitting around it I mean. I only plan on sleep 2, maybe 3.

You could fit three or four moving bags and hear out of the way I think. It's pretty big but it's more long than wide. Problem is you want short chairs because of the sloped sides. Might be easier for a couple of folks to sit in ground and some in chairs