Floorless with tyvek sheet

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
For those who are running a floorlesswith shelter (megatarp personally) how are you setting up the tyvek sheet or groubdcloth? I was thinking just setup the tarp then open up the sheet inside and just sorta let the leftovers run up the inside walls but that doesn't seem very secure to me.

Jimbob

WKR
I just have a sheet that my bed goes on. If two guys then each guy gets a sheet. I want the ground to be open to cook on, spill water on, put my dirty boots on. Tyvek is just under the pad and sleeping bag for me.

Hall256

WKR
Likewise...i have just a sheet big enough for my pad and a little extra space for gear. The interesting thing about Tyvek is that mine is "soft" or better said not loud...my buddy's Tyvek is super loud and crinkely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

You don't want to have more tyvek than floorspace. I just have enough for two sleeping pads to comfortably fit on. Then the space between that and your walls is dirt for cooking and shoes and gear, etc....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
Whoaa, I had this setup completely screwed up haha. I guess that's why all the tyvek sheets for sale on ebay for camping setups were so small

I have just enough to cover the ground under my bedding as well. It is not held down by anything but the bedding.
I forgot to mention that you can soften/get rid of the crinkle of the Tyvek by running it thru the washing machine..

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
Well let me ask this then, what's the point of the tyvek sheet? I always thought ground sheets/floored shelters were to keep the floor dry?

I don't mean to come across in a negative way but what's the point of keeping the pad off the ground?

The obvious is that it helps to keep things clean, which in turn keeps your gear from gaining weight on the trip. The perhaps not so obvious, is to keep the gear from absorboing moisture, and thus keep you warm(er).

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
The obvious is that it helps to keep things clean, which in turn keeps your gear from gaining weight on the trip. The perhaps not so obvious, is to keep the gear from absorboing moisture, and thus keep you warm(er).
Got it!

Its simply a barrier between the pad and your sleep system of choice. Water proof and added puncture resistance to your air mattress.
I actually carry 2 of the same length. One is for the sleep system, the other to place quarters on, keeping them off the ground out of the dirt until I hang them. Also works as an emergency bivy if needed with my trekking poles, tenacious tape and paracord.