Floorless

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Considering a Seek Outside Cimarron primarily for September elk. Never had a floorless before. Any concerns with water running in during a rain? I know it probably depends on where it is pitched but I also know perfectly flat spots are hard to come by in the mountains. Also is the mesh liner a worthwhile addition (if I can even find one in time)? Thanks for any input.

Jimss

WKR
Likely depends on the particular area you will be hunting. I use the fly off my Hilleberg for early season scouting and hunting. It has no floor. I often bring painters plastic that I cut the size of my floor to keep dust, mud, etc down and it's a little protection for my air mattress or sleeping bag. Plastic only weighs a few ounces depending upon the thickness. It's only around $3.00 for plastic at Home Depot. If you have gobs of flies or mosquitos you may be thankful to have some sort of netting or the interior mesh of a tent.

rclouse79

WKR
I have scraped a quick trench in the ground with a stick to lead water away from where it is starting to pool. It has been a quick easy job, and if you have a fire going in your stove in can be nice to get out and cool down.

OP
T

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Ok. Thanks. I have used the trench method to prevent pooling under a floored tent so I figured that would be the answer.

Northpark

WKR
For me I’ve not had issues with my cimmaron in the rain. Truthfully I don’t think it matters whether or not you have a floor. It matters where you pitch it. Just my .02

SaltyBowman

Lil-Rokslider
The mice were so bad in Colorado last two weeks of archery elk I don’t know how you guys go floorless. The saps chewed a hole through the mesh of a brand new kuiu mountain star and hung out in my friend’s sleeping bag. There was 50+ craps in the bed of my truck when I got back to it and no food was even left in there. ill walk right up to a bear but mice disturb me to my core.

FWTXN

FNG
Newer to backcountry hunting and definitely new to thinking about tents without floors. Does floorless really save enough weight to not miss having a floor? I've always been pretty thankful to be able to get away from the flies, mosquitos, mice, etc.