Florida buck down….

And I’m DONE.

Popped him with 3 minutes of legal light left. Had a young 7, a button and 4 doe all come N to
S. Caught S to N movement in binoculars with 3 min left. Threw gun up and looked HARD over the barrel. Was hoping it was not the same little 7. Didn’t think it was. He turned towards me, dropped his head and I put one in his neck
At 120 yards. Night night.

Killed two of the three I wanted.

Not a bad year. Done! Can hunt until March but I’m ready to fish!!!

OP
P
Thanks! Pretty good year for me. Three bucks off my local 40 acres and a Young texas 8 I took at my buddy’s place.

25CF7F8B-84D6-4ECC-A3F1-DC8FED2A44E4.jpegE4FC4128-9BB7-49CC-BF2C-0924DFB6A686.jpeg62BB6C89-DA6A-4E82-8DEE-6EF32186146E.jpeg

OP
P
What does an average Florida Buck weigh?
Varies a lot. Where I am a buck over 3 years old will weigh 125- maybe140 pounds. This buck was probably 130?? You can go an hour north of me and they’ll grow up to 180 pounds pretty much on their own. Heavy supplement feeding, planting, management and you’ll see some even a little heavier. I’m in NW Florida on salt water hunting what isn’t much more tidal marsh. But again there are pockets around the state with much better nutrition. N central Fl has some and then quite a bit of good stuff at and N of I-10 for about the middle 50th percent of its stretch. If I had to come up with a true statewide average, I’m betting a mature buck would average 120. Total guess…. Pretty big state and varied habitat.

OP
P
Were you stalking or stationary in a blind? I'm trying to get my strategy down for hunting in SWFL. I prefer to stalk but the terrain is much different down here from NWFL.
Ladder stand. 90%+ the time I’m in ambush mode. I’ll do a little slipping around on public places, but on tiny private pieces need to stay put.

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
Ladder stand. 90%+ the time I’m in ambush mode. I’ll do a little slipping around on public places, but on tiny private pieces need to stay put.
If you're looking for a partner this fall, I'll be up in Port St. Joe for the winter. We want to try the Panhandle after living in SWFL for 20 years. Waterfowl, deer, hog for me.

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats! I ran around on the Eglin range for three years without ever connecting. Always seemed to run into more bears then deer. I probably should have been able to pull a deer out of Florida but I guess I spent the majority of my time chasing Grouper, Snapper, Cobia, and Tarpon.